OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trouble with trumpet and wingbone calls

Started by MattM, June 25, 2020, 10:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 02, 2020, 10:55:49 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on July 02, 2020, 10:24:22 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 02, 2020, 09:31:39 PM
I have been having a hard time getting the draw down myself. I can yelp but I know it is not the right way so I am trying to learn the right way so I can have more range with a call. This is me with a yelper I have, I have a hard time breathing when drawing myself. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trying-to-draw-air-on-a-yelper

The link does not work
Should work now, here is the link anyway so you do not have to go back up. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trying-to-draw-air-on-a-yelper/s-fygomfUE7t3

Too much air for one thing.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

Quote from: davisd9 on July 02, 2020, 11:06:51 PM
I have been having a hard time getting the draw down myself. I can yelp but I know it is not the right way so I am trying to learn the right way so I can have more range with a call. This is me with a yelper I have, I have a hard time breathing when drawing myself. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trying-to-draw-air-on-a-yelper

The link does not work
Should work now, here is the link anyway so you do not have to go back up. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trying-to-draw-air-on-a-yelper/s-fygomfUE7t3

Okay, I was barely doing it, much less than I used to use trying to do it anyway. Any other ideas?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 02, 2020, 11:22:37 PM

The link does not work

Okay, I was barely doing it, much less than I used to use trying to do it anyway. Any other ideas?

That real high end squeal in a couple places I'd say you're probably tightening your lips down too much. I know playing them is different for everybody but for me my lips slightly separate as I cluck and yelp. That slight opening of the mouth is what gives the yelp the second tone. Other than that my mouth stays closed on the mouthpiece but without any real pressure at all. The only time my lips tighten down on the mouthpiece is when I kee. I also almost completely close off the bell when I kee. I'm still not incredible on one but I took to it fairly quickly and honestly I think it's from smoking cigarettes most my life. Drawing air on a trumpet strikes me very similarly to drawing air on a cigarette.

EZ

The link does not work

That's the note I always tell folks to practice (the first note in a yelp). Keep your call choked way down and keep practicing so you can hold that note unwavering, just like holding a single note on any other musical instrument. Once you have that down, you'll be able to kee kee with ease.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on July 03, 2020, 07:49:02 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 02, 2020, 11:22:37 PM

The link does not work

That real high end squeal in a couple places I'd say you're probably tightening your lips down too much. I know playing them is different for everybody but for me my lips slightly separate as I cluck and yelp. That slight opening of the mouth is what gives the yelp the second tone. Other than that my mouth stays closed on the mouthpiece but without any real pressure at all. The only time my lips tighten down on the mouthpiece is when I kee. I also almost completely close off the bell when I kee. I'm still not incredible on one but I took to it fairly quickly and honestly I think it's from smoking cigarettes most my life. Drawing air on a trumpet strikes me very similarly to drawing air on a cigarette.
If I draw lightly with a yelper and do not tighten my lips I get almost zero sound at all. (I do better with a trumpet with my lips looser unless my lips are sweating and then I am pretty close to useless with either instrument) I was trying to get that kee kee whistle at points and I think that may be the highs you refer to. Thank you for the reply.

Quote from: EZ on July 03, 2020, 08:18:32 AM

The link does not work

That's the note I always tell folks to practice (the first note in a yelp). Keep your call choked way down and keep practicing so you can hold that note unwavering, just like holding a single note on any other musical instrument. Once you have that down, you'll be able to kee kee with ease.
Thanks bud, I have been trying to get that kee kee whistle going and that quaver that Marlin refers to in his first video. I do think I am better than I was when we talked last year around this time, my hardest thing is holding a note for any time, I have a hard time breathing though my nose, especially exhaling.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Terry

Try inhaling from your diaphragm if you are having trouble getting air. Also, experiment with different lipstop adjustments.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Terry on July 03, 2020, 08:29:53 PM
Try inhaling from your diaphragm if you are having trouble getting air. Also, experiment with different lipstop adjustments.

I am not trying to be a wiseguy, but how the heck do you inhale from your diaphragm? I try all kinds of lipstop adjustments, I have also tried tilting the call in my mouth at different angles, I have tried different lip pressures as well. I have tried different material lipstops on the call I made that recording with. At this point I am kinda feeling like I am highjacking this thread, why don't you inbox me with your reply please.

John Koenig:

davisd9

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 03, 2020, 09:45:12 PM

I am not trying to be a wiseguy, but how the heck do you inhale from your diaphragm? I try all kinds of lipstop adjustments, I have also tried tilting the call in my mouth at different angles, I have tried different lip pressures as well. I have tried different material lipstops on the call I made that recording with. At this point I am kinda feeling like I am highjacking this thread, why don't you inbox me with your reply please.

That is very good information. Pull from the diaphragm
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

howl

You're inhaling with your diaphragm when you breathe drrply. Its the key to even, well controlled air flow with any wind instruments or singing.

paboxcall

Have you tried any different spots on the lips? I place the call just off center of my lips. Center or off to the side, and I can't run it as well.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on July 03, 2020, 10:47:53 PM

Have you tried any different spots on the lips? I place the call just off center of my lips. Center or off to the side, and I can't run it as well.
Yes, sure have, I think that may be a major part of my problem, none of the air operated calls feel comfortable no matter where I place them, that is something I have been trying to make myself ignore.

John Koenig:

nitro

[/quote]
At this point I am kinda feeling like I am highjacking this thread, why don't you inbox me with your reply please.
[/quote]

You hijack or derail dang near every thread on this site Sir - posts- a -lot.

I swear , I can't open a topic that you haven't commented on. It is past too much for me.
Royal Slam 2008

Sir-diealot

Quote from: nitro on July 04, 2020, 02:12:36 PM

At this point I am kinda feeling like I am highjacking this thread, why don't you inbox me with your reply please.
[/quote]

You hijack or derail dang near every thread on this site Sir - posts- a -lot.

I swear , I can't open a topic that you haven't commented on. It is past too much for me.
[/quote]
So I take it you don't want a birthday card?

John Koenig:

wchadw

this video helped me more than any of the other instructional vids for some reason.

https://youtu.be/HYCwEsoZUts