OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Camouflage  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Huckleberry91

Camouflage
« on: August 01, 2020, 12:58:43 AM »
Ive noticed in the past few years the old style camos are making their way back (bottomland),(green leaf). Do y'all think the bottomland stands out enough in late season to affect a hunt? Here in the Ozark Mountains of Southeast Missouri the timber and foliage are still fairly dull before the big green up granted we have a lot of old growth oak that blend well with a pattern like bottomland or even green leaf. I keep a set of Nomad NWTF obsession around for a change up or for field hunting (which there isn't much of). Just curious at to everyones thoughts and what gear seems to work best for you and your hunting style.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Camouflage
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 08:00:20 AM »
I really like Original Bottomland and Greenleaf as well as Original Tree Stand for early season. I generally wear Forest Floor pants and one of those  patterns shirts until green up. After things green up I switch to a Diffusion pull over top. I did pick up a medium weight North  Mountain gear pull over in Greenleaf after season this year. I am going to use it for early season next year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 08:07:04 AM »
My experience with original bottomland and Greenleaf have been positive in the northeast big woods. One day I rested my bottomland 870 against a tree when I was pruning some low branches. I got about 30 yards away, turned back and did not see the gun easily, it blended in to the bark of the tree. That was a good test for me, I pretty much stick to bottomland and greenleaf for that reason. Been working well....be safe...
“Solo hunter”

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 08:19:10 AM »
I don’t think any camouflage on the market stands out enough to affect your hunt one way or the other.  The big camouflage debate is for hunters and there is nothing wrong with that.  Kind of fun like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge etc.   but as far as turkeys go, it doesn’t make a bit of difference wether a hunter wears Mosyoak, Realtree or any combination of camouflage.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:20:45 AM »
I’ve always thought Bottomland was the least limiting camo pattern available. There’s always grays and browns in the woods, but there’s not always greens. There’s always bark, but not always leaves. After green you’ve usually got some color in front of you anyways helping to break you up further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline falltoms

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
I don’t think any camouflage on the market stands out enough to affect your hunt one way or the other.  The big camouflage debate is for hunters and there is nothing wrong with that.  Kind of fun like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge etc.   but as far as turkeys go, it doesn’t make a bit of difference wether a hunter wears Mosyoak, Realtree or any combination of camouflage.   
  I agree with this,  I think camo is way overrated, most of the time I wear solid grey or all green flannel shirts,  while hunting, there comfortable and cheaper than camo, and never had problems.I think the best camouflage is being Still.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 11:16:21 AM »
  I agree with this,  I think camo is way overrated, most of the time I wear solid grey or all green flannel shirts,  while hunting, there comfortable and cheaper than camo, and never had problems.I think the best camouflage is being Still.
  X3 .. you can wear pair blue jeans and flannel shirt and kill turkeys , camo is way over rated, it's best you be still and patience ...

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 03:31:51 PM »
I like some of the older patterns. Brings back some good memories when i see it!

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 05:29:25 PM »
I don't get hung up on camo patterns...sort of like lures made for the fisherman, not the fish. I generally wear the WWII woodland stuff more than any other. If you buy the true mil spec clothing absolutely no other manufacturer can match the cut of the cloth...too expensive for them. Now...if someone came out with a more modern pattern made to mil spec I'd most likely buy it. But they won't...all about money.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 05:41:57 PM »
Turkeyman you might take a look at these
https://www.natchezss.com/natchez-exclusive-tru-spec-bdu-pants-original-bottomland-camo-100-cotton.html

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 06:38:21 PM »

Strong preference for original Bottomland / Treestand / Greenleaf. While remaining still is key, a camo pattern can help mask those small movements as you shift to get on target, a 3D pullover even more so.

Washed out and faded camo can be a liability - white/gray faded fabric makes you stick out in the woods and shadows.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 06:52:02 PM »

I wear Realtree Xtra .Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with the last sentence above.

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
I don't think it matters what camo you wear, if you move, Game Over!

Offline 310 gauge

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 07:18:17 PM »
Agree!  Been there...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 09:57:09 PM »
  X3 .. you can wear pair blue jeans and flannel shirt and kill turkeys , camo is way over rated, it's best you be still and patience ...
But I make camo look sexy!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."