OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Merriams info please  (Read 1789 times)

Offline wvhoyt19

Merriams info please
« on: September 13, 2020, 09:50:40 PM »
My buddy and I are planning a 2021 Merriams hunt. We would love to go to the black hills but are open for any good input. We would like to make this a DYI hunt. The amount of area in SD, WY and NB is quite overwhelming. If you have any good info on any of these areas especially in the last year or 2 we would greatly appreciate it! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: Merriams info please
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 01:30:25 PM »
 Black hills or NE. Both areas get pressure.  Late season may be your best bet  due to weather.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »
Hoyt, I sent you a PM with the info you requested.  Let me know if you need anything or have any questions.

Offline kennedyh1990

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 04:13:39 PM »
All I can say is get as far away from Rapid City as possible. My buddy and I went there this past season and everywhere within an hour of rapid city was receiving tons of pressure....and not just hunting pressure. Hikers, joggers, dog walkers, air soft wars, atv riders...unlike anything I’ve ever seen

Offline turkeyfool

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
There is some pressure close to Rapid City, but with the size of the Black Hills, once your away from RC, you're good. I've hunted a few times south of Custer. There weren't as many birds down there last year as I would have thought. When I go back in 2021, I may shift gears and try up closer to Sturgis this time. I do like hunting the southern part of the Black Hills though. The suggestion you'll get about being able to go later is correct, but there is going to be luck involved with the weather. Last year we hunted April 25th to May 1st with awesome weather. It snowed the next week

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »
X2 on getting lucky with weather

Week prior to me getting there they had 18” of snow. Which caused flooding the week I was there. But weather cleared up and I had a blast. Can’t wait for 2021.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 09:34:58 PM »
Every reply on this forum to public land info postings starts with something like -  "too much pressure"  "too many people" ...lol.  Unfortunately this will only get worse every year.

As for weather.. yes it can swing quick. Last time I was there.. still some snow on ground when we arrived... then warmed up in the 80's... the almost a blizzard when we were leaving. All in the course of 5 o 6 days...

Offline wvhoyt19

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »
Thanks everyone! Keep em coming. I’ve been doing a lot of research and been looking at topos to the point of my pupils touching haha

Offline cliff.s.timmons

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
Tough hunt. I went two springs ago and it snowed 5 out of 7 days we were there. We struck out and didn’t end up getting one. Not as many birds and a lot of pressure as others have said. That said, it was a fun hunt and I would like to try it again.

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »
The native range of the Merriams is in AZ,NM and Colorado. There is a ton of public land out there. It's high country and the birds are scattered, but with a little research, you can get into birds and the weather is typically better than in SD,MT,WY,NE, etc. Having said that, I've been snowed on hard even in mid May. Contact the game departments, correspond with the biologists and you can narrow your focus. The Indian reservations can be good too at times. It's gorgeous high country. Good luck.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 08:45:04 PM »
Second week of April, 2013 in Merriam's country. 

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline wvhoyt19

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »
Second week of April, 2013 in Merriam's country. 

Oh wow!