OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pre Catalyzed Lacquer and Prep, Sandpaper & Tact Clothes  (Read 3082 times)

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Pre Catalyzed Lacquer and Prep, Sandpaper & Tact Clothes
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:30:41 PM »
So thinking on using Mohawk pre catalyzed lacquer on a pot call kit (Not married to that brand, just one that was suggested to me) I am debating a clear or satin finish. I am wondering how I should prep the inside of the call with it being a spray on lacquer, should I somehow tape the edges, or maybe spray some of the lacquer in a cap and paint it on inside to avoid the edges where I have to put soundboard and striking surface?

Any good brand of sandpaper you could suggest? I was thinking of using 30000 grit after first spray on to scuff off and then respray with final finish as was suggested to me elsewhere. I still have to find a video or something to show me how that is done as I have never worked with lacquer before.

The pot actually goes against something I have said in the past, I have expressed nervousness about laminated pots in the past as I am clumsy and am always afraid I would break them since they are many pieces of wood glued together, but I decided I would liked to give one a shot so I will be putting together a Aromatic Cedar-Walnut-Maple laminate pot with glass soundboard and a purple slate striking surface this time around.

This will also be a experiment piece for me in that in the future I want to make another quartersawn sycamore pot to match the first one I made but with a glass or crystal striking surface and I want to experiment with using a syringe to apply the glue now so I will have a better idea what I am doing in the future when I do that pot. I just gave my dogs her shots and I have saved the syringes from the last two times I gave her her shots so I have 3 syringes to try to figure out what I am doing with.

I will be sanding by hand so I will be taking my time as when I did the last one I could not move my thumb and index finger on my left hand for a few days and I think that may be a benefit to me as I am reading the humidity could cause problems with the spray on lacquer so I may wait until September to do the actually spraying outside when it will be cooler and less humid out.

Thanks for any help given in advance.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Pre Catalyzed Lacquer and Prep, Sandpaper & Tact Clothes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 05:05:49 PM »
Well local places around here are treating me like I am nuts when I ask about 30000 grit sandpaper and Pre Catalyzed Lacquer, anybody suggest some good sandpaper in that grit. Am I missing something?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 05:31:27 PM »
Why not just use 000 steel wool?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
Why not just use 000 steel wool?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Don't know what I am doing when it comes to this, the sandpaper is what was suggested to me with that lacquer so that is what I have been looking into. Is there a difference in the way it would turn out? I am slowly trying to put together everything I need to finish it, picked up some 220 grit sandpaper for sanding and some tact cloth today, looks like if I do use that lacquer I will have to order though.

John Koenig:

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »
Is there any kind of tool that can be used to set a glass or crystal striking surface or soundboard into place without smearing the glue all over? I do have some hand problems and my attempt with doing it by hand on my last kit call was far from satisfying and I would like to do a crystal over glass eventually.

John Koenig:

Offline OldSwamper

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 07:03:49 AM »
I am not a call builder but could you use a small rubber suction cup, like you use to hang something in a window.  Seems it might at least work for glass and crystal, just an idea

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 08:32:46 AM »
I am not a call builder but could you use a small rubber suction cup, like you use to hang something in a window.  Seems it might at least work for glass and crystal, just an idea
Someone else had also said that and I am going to see if I can find some small ones, I am just not sure how to release them after I put the surface on so that I can set something on top of it to help the glue set. Thank you for the idea.

John Koenig:

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 06:56:31 AM »
30,000 grit??? Not 3,000???

For sanding the pot, drill a hole in the center. Go to any woodworking store and find a mandrel to fit, then spin it in your electric drill.

Don't worry about a laminated pot....it is probably 10x stronger than any single type wood.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 11:56:34 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion bud, I do appreciate it. I am done with the sanding and just have to get some stuff in to spray it. I was in pleasantly surprised that my hands did much better than the last time I sanded one by hand

I don't have a drill yet, I don,t have any use for one other than doing this, but I think I will be getting one before I get another kit to build.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:56:44 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig: