OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A little lipstick...

Started by Tarheel, July 24, 2020, 06:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey stew

That is a mighty fine flock of scratchers Marvin! The artwork is top notch like everythink you do. Your friend is going to enjoy running them.

Tarheel

The cherry burl darkened up when I applied the finish and shows the wood figure nicely.....

bear hunter

Tarheel

My fondness for scratchboxes started with my grandfather's applewood scratchbox he kept in a Prince Albert tin.....

turkey stew

Scratchers are sweet little compact callers that the gobblers love! That prince albert can is a great way to protect those gems.

Tarheel

Only 53 days to go.....maybe they'll make it until then..... 

turkey stew

Great looking and I'm sure awesome sounding scratchers Marvin! 

greentrout

Quote from: Tarheel on November 19, 2022, 08:53:55 PM
Only 53 days to go.....maybe they'll make until then.....

Those are just awesome!
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Tarheel

Sometimes it all comes together easier than at other times...but it does come together.  I've got a lot of woodburning to do now.

greentrout

Marvin, really excited to see that tobacco tin one finished! But that bigger group is going to be exciting to see as well!
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Tarheel

greentrout,
You never know with wood how it will take the detail when woodburning....at least I never know....even with hard maple.  Some specific pieces of wood just give better detail.  With these calls, I've tried to pick mostly harder woods to try to facilitate more detail, although I am woodburning on one cedar soundboard.  It's soft, but it'll work.  So far, I'm getting good detail with this batch of calls, so maybe these will turnout well.  I try to make sure any woodburning I do on a turkey call will hold up to heavy hunting use.  I can do more fine line woodburning and shading, but it would not hold up to hunting use, so I opt to be a little more heavy handed with cutting the lines and shading. I want the calls to get to go to the woods and be used to kill turkeys......

Tarheel

I was making good progress until carpal tunnel issues flared up....getting old with all the aches and pains gets annoying quick. Normally it takes 2-3 days for the numbness to ease.  As you can see I do the heads last....I don't really have a reason for doing the heads last...it's just I take more time with the heads, so when I finish the heads the hard work is done.  The woodburning I do will hold up to hard hunting use.  Hunting will not damage these calls. 

crow

Dr Juice

Tarheel

Every now and then, I try to do something different from my normal. I drew this gobbler on this scratchbox, then started woodburning.  Normally, I do the heads last, but with this one, I did the head first, then started to work on the body.  Normally, I would keep woodburning, but I think I'm going to stop on this one.  I kind'a like it like it is.......