OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

JLH might be top of the heap

Started by ChesterCopperpot, July 22, 2020, 03:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Three new strikers from Jeff over at JLH, a heavy hickory, tulipwood, and marblewood (left to right). I don't think it's possible for him to turn a stick that doesn't play everything. Every striker out of his shop sounds pure turkey. That said, this hickory is making every slate I own sound better than they ever have. The tulip and marble both sound great on metal surfaces. The marble gets a little high on glass but it flat owns the ceramics I've got. Obviously there are a lot of folks turning fine strikers but the consistency coming out of Jeff's shop is just flat incomparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

X2, every one that Jeff sent me is unreal. All turkey. Great guy too.
"Solo hunter"

shatcher

Unfortunately, I lost a heavy hickory this past season.  The frogwood is better imo.  The rosewood ain't far behind.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: shatcher on July 22, 2020, 05:55:06 PM
Unfortunately, I lost a heavy hickory this past season.  The frogwood is better imo.  The rosewood ain't far behind.
I've got the bullfrog, but not the plain frogwood. I think it plays better overall, and it's nuts on glass or crystal, but that hickory sounds better on the slates than any striker I've ever owned. I'll have to try a rosewood. He damn sure don't make a bad one.

HookedonHooks

Jeff's standard Frogwood is as close to a "magic" stick as I think is out there. It flat makes any call sing, and makes most calls sound better than the stick they were sent with.

He's making some Frogs out of some new diagonal cut blanks he received, and they very much emulate the look of a turkey wing or tail feather depending on color. This was a vision he had when he first started the Frog project, and with the help from the guys at FW, and his ability to turn a stick, I'd say they finally are coming to perfection. Both looks and sound, it don't get any better.

The consistency in Jeff's strikers over a couple other popular, primarily striker makers, is what I appreciate the most. You know a stick from him will not be a dud, and I have played quite a few from those other names that should've been trashed or burned, let alone leave their shop.

bobk

Jeff's strikers are consistently outstanding. He is a true gentleman.

Gog1015

I agree, I just ordered number 3 and 4 frogwood strikers!

JLH

Oh jeez....you guys are drinking the kool-aid again!!

Thanks so much for the kind words, I truly appreciate it!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: HookedonHooks on July 22, 2020, 06:29:16 PM
Jeff's standard Frogwood is as close to a "magic" stick as I think is out there. It flat makes any call sing, and makes most calls sound better than the stick they were sent with.

He's making some Frogs out of some new diagonal cut blanks he received, and they very much emulate the look of a turkey wing or tail feather depending on color. This was a vision he had when he first started the Frog project, and with the help from the guys at FW, and his ability to turn a stick, I'd say they finally are coming to perfection. Both looks and sound, it don't get any better.

The consistency in Jeff's strikers over a couple other popular, primarily striker makers, is what I appreciate the most. You know a stick from him will not be a dud, and I have played quite a few from those other names that should've been trashed or burned, let alone leave their shop.
That was pretty much what I told him today after fooling around with these three. There's a whole lot of guys turning some really great strikers, and I own quite a few of them, but when you fall in love with one and decide well I'll order a backup in case I lose this one, NOT ONCE have I gotten a striker as good as the one I carry. It's always been luck of the draw. But for whatever reason, whatever he's doing, there's a consistency that seems unmatched. Whatever you decide to get off him it'll play every surface you put under it. It'll have a favorite, like all woods do, but it'll play everything.

paboxcall

The heavy cedar and the heavy bullfrog are hands down better than any other striker I've acquired over the many years buying calls. No close second.

Hunt big tracts of public ground, and need a call that cranks in volume and carries long distances but easily backs off as the situation unfolds. Check and check. These are spot on.

That bullfrog is going to get it done for sure. Couldn't be more happy with Jeff's work.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Nice looking strikers, congrats ...