OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Another player from Toby Kock  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Another player from Toby Kock
« on: July 18, 2020, 12:15:24 PM »
My second longbox from Toby Kock showed up in my mailbox this past Monday.

When we spoke on the phone about the first one, I told him it had to be cedar over butternut.  Toby told me that was fine, but he had really been liking cedar over alder.  So I told him "Just build me one of those, too".

The alder wood, itself is pretty open grained.........a lot along the lines of sassafras.  And it has a holographic quality to it, here and there.  Toby's tuning is incredible !!  The alder call is a bit more mellow, overall, where the butternut call has a bit more sharpness to the tone.  Both roll over with nearly the same "yawk" just the alder starts a whisker lower so the finish is not quite the drop of the butternut.  But to the casual, untrained ear.......... I could pass one call off as the other.  Remarkable !!

My personal preference.........the butternut over the alder by the smallest of margins.  But, noooooo.............the alder call ain't for sale.    ;D ;D ;D

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Another player from Toby Kock
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:26:09 PM »
Beauty
“Solo hunter”

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »
Like that! Congrats on the killer calls!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »
Nice, I am very happy with my cedar over poplar from him. He has been a joy to get to know and deal with. I am on his list for another , he has been sending pictures and some sound files. That alder makes a nice contrasting call. Haven’t decided what I want next lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 10:04:45 PM »
Nice looking box!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk