OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trumpet vs Yelper  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Chustzc

Trumpet vs Yelper
« on: July 17, 2020, 08:12:02 PM »
What is the difference in a trumpet and a yelper ? i have looked all over google and cant find the answer. Is there an distinct difference between the two? Same goes with a Jordan Yelper . Iv been trying to find descriptions on these but cant find anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Mississippi call makers 1st place trumpet
2021 Mississippi call makers 3rd place trumpet

Offline ConoverCustomCalls

Re: Trumpet vs Yelper
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »
Great question. I hope someone will answer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 08:45:00 PM »
I'm sure someone will come up with a better answer, but "Yelper" is often used as a generic term to reference many different suction type calls.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »
I'm sure someone will come up with a better answer, but "Yelper" is often used as a generic term to reference many different suction type calls.
This is my understanding on it as well, and that a trumpet is just a type of "yelper".

Jordan Yelper is just a different style, usually made with river cane, but not always.
There's quite a few other styles as well, one of my favorite being the tree yelper.

Offline Chustzc

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 09:01:29 PM »
What makes a tree yelper different ?

2021 Mississippi call makers 1st place trumpet
2021 Mississippi call makers 3rd place trumpet

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 09:02:05 PM »
Tony explains it very well:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,86107.msg834194.html#msg834194

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 09:02:24 PM »
What makes a tree yelper different ?
Shorter, wider barrel.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »
I think all trumpets are yelpers but not all yelpers are trumpets if that makes sense. As far as Jordan yelpers, that’s a call attributed to Charles L. Jordan modifying a traditional wingbone into a three part staggered call made of cane typically with a hen bone mouthpiece. But the key is that it’s still a three part staggered construction. And who knows if Jordan really invented it or if he’s just who gets the attribution. This is late 1800s. You also had Roanoke style calls in that same era and their construction is much different but still a yelper. As far as trumpets I think that development comes along with Tom Turpin and he wasn’t happy with the sound he was getting out of Jordans, or at least that’s my understanding. He actually built a few Jordan’s off an original—a collector named Danny Ellis has the original Jordan Turpin was loaned as well as the Jordan style yelper Turpin created—but he eventually moves to a more trumpet style bell design, though still a staggered three part call at this point. I think that’s the shift. Once the Turpin yelper with that defined bell comes along we get the move toward the style we now associate with trumpets.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 09:09:02 PM »
A true Jordan Yelper is river cane with a hen bone mouthpiece. There is something guys call a Jordan style.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline outdoornut

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 09:27:05 PM »
Trumpet is turned barrel,man made internal dimensions, simple explanation

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »
I think all trumpets are yelpers but not all yelpers are trumpets if that makes sense. As far as Jordan yelpers, that’s a call attributed to Charles L. Jordan modifying a traditional wingbone into a three part staggered call made of cane typically with a hen bone mouthpiece. But the key is that it’s still a three part staggered construction. And who knows if Jordan really invented it or if he’s just who gets the attribution. This is late 1800s. You also had Roanoke style calls in that same era and their construction is much different but still a yelper. As far as trumpets I think that development comes along with Tom Turpin and he wasn’t happy with the sound he was getting out of Jordans, or at least that’s my understanding. He actually built a few Jordan’s off an original—a collector named Danny Ellis has the original Jordan Turpin was loaned as well as the Jordan style yelper Turpin created—but he eventually moves to a more trumpet style bell design, though still a staggered three part call at this point. I think that’s the shift. Once the Turpin yelper with that defined bell comes along we get the move toward the style we now associate with trumpets.

I think you explained it pretty good CCp.
Turpin may have developed the trumpet because he didn't like the sound (I don't know the history), but I would guess he was looking to be more consistent. That's the hardest thing when dealing with what nature gave you. It would be hard for me to believe anyone wouldn't like the sound of a well made Jordan. IMHO, they produce some of the sweetest turkey sounds.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 08:21:51 AM »

I think you explained it pretty good CCp.
Turpin may have developed the trumpet because he didn't like the sound (I don't know the history), but I would guess he was looking to be more consistent. That's the hardest thing when dealing with what nature gave you. It would be hard for me to believe anyone wouldn't like the sound of a well made Jordan. IMHO, they produce some of the sweetest turkey sounds.
I think you’re absolutely right, Tony, about it being a matter of consistency. In this old newspaper piece they say Turpin kept trying to follow the instructions Jordan had given in his book but never could get one that suited him. He then was lucky enough to have someone lend him a real Jordan and he modeled his own after that. Here’s a picture of that news article telling that story, and what’s really cool is Danny Ellis now owns the Jordan that Turpin was loaned and the Jordan that Turpin built off of it so that they are once again paired together (second picture).

I’ve wondered if Turpin might have been influenced by the shape and more rounded bell of the Roanoke calls and Danny says he’s fairly sure he would’ve at least known about those calls, but who knows if that was an influence. I think overall you’re spot on about consistency. That carved or turned bell allows precise internals that can be recreated over and over. I think that bell also allows for a lot more modulation of sound. A win win!