OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roll Over -- Pedestal Width

Started by falconiii, July 17, 2020, 07:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconiii

Hello.  First time poster and new call maker.  Can someone tell me how increasing or decreasing pedestal width affects the sound of a call?  I had heard that pedestal width is what affects rollover.  Or is rollover governed by the distance between the soundboard and the friction surface?  Thanks very much for the advice. 

outdoors

Can you experiment and see what sound you want
Or are you taking a shortcuts
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

falconiii

Yeah, I've been experimenting and can't figure it out.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

BigSlam51

You'll have a hard time getting another call maker to give up that kind of information. You just have to keep experimenting, keep notes, number the calls accordingly so you know which one is which when they are ready to play.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

falconiii

Hmm. Yeah, could have guessed that was what the silence was tied to. Thanks for letting me know that.  If I can ever figure this out I'll probably not want to share it either!

Greg Massey

Quote from: BigSlam51 on July 17, 2020, 02:47:28 PM
You'll have a hard time getting another call maker to give up that kind of information. You just have to keep experimenting, keep notes, number the calls accordingly so you know which one is which when they are ready to play.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
x2 agree, this question is ask all the time .. good luck, just keep trying ....

M,Yingling

LOL   its a pretty basic question I have had some pretty big round pedestals to reach in and play sound board thur back  and never realy made a difference in rollover  now thickness of that  can  and does play a part in what can of rasp u get ,,,,,distance from sound board to play surface comes into play more on rollover and that's based on your bottom thickness and sides   to bad tho shut down as most of the guys that say figure it out on your own was on that site one time or another asking same questions lol  Good luck
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mastevt

Every thing you do to the inside of that pot (specs), effects the sound.  The whole object in the experimentation your doing, is finding a sound you like.  Asking others about there specs, may give some direction, but it will be in the direction of sound in his call.  That said, In my opinion, technique plays more of a roll in your "Rollover" sound, than your specs do, but the specs help with it.  I can take the same call, play it 2 different ways, one will yalk, one wont.  So find your sound, or pitch 1st.  Then practice your technique.  I will give you some direction, that someone gave me on the subject that will help, and that is keep your land where you glue your surface on, as narrow as possible.  Good luck.