turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet Mandrels

Started by Chustzc, June 30, 2020, 07:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chustzc

What type of mandrels to you guys use for making trumpets ? And where can i find one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Mississippi call makers 1st place trumpet
2021 Mississippi call makers 3rd place trumpet

CatawbaCustomCalls

I had one made at a local machine shop. It is the taper of a MT #1 on one end and a straight shaft. Go my idea from Marvin Hasenak. He had the only illustrated instructions I could find anywhere. I found it here...https://mafiadoc.com/how-to-make-a-turkey-trumpet-call-tho-game-calls_5a04de3d1723dd3edd5e9879.html

Here is what he used in the making of a trumpet call:
Collet chuck  (Beall Tool company)
#1MT reamer  (MSC Supply)
handheld reamer (the reamer is the 1MT reamer) (Amazon)
3/8" Delrin for the mouthpiece  (MSC Supply) (Amazon)
A 3/8" compression nut  (plumbing supply)
EVA foam.  (Jann Craft Fishing Supply) (Amazon)
Specialty mandrels.  (Those you have to make yourself.) (Machine Shop) You can make the specialty mandrels out of wood.  The driver is a simple 1MT taper the other a 3/8" diameter dowel with a center hole for the live center. 

Also check out this post for a well written instructions...http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=83682.0 

Chustzc

Thanks thats where i saw the mandrel i was wonder if i could find one . I have made one out of wood i was just looking too see if they could be bought somewhere thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatawbaCustomCalls

Here is the mandrel I had made and compared to the off the shelf #1MT. Same thing but mine is on a 5/8 shaft which will fit into both collet sets I have, The Beal Collet Chuck and  the Appretence collet set from CraftSupply USA.

NCbowjunkie

I have a precise metal lathe that I make my own tooling and arbors that I use to turn calls with.  I cut the arbors on MT #1 or MT 0  for trumpets and MT #2 for other calls

ConoverCustomCalls

Wish I had known you before I had this one made. I would like to have one made that has a #2 MT on one end (to fit my lathe), about 3" span (of 5/8 diameter) in the middle, and #1 MT on the other end for the trumpets. Maybe another with #0 MT.
Let's talk.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Chustzc

I like the idea of having the #2 MT for the lathe side

CatawbaCustomCalls

New trumpet mandrel. It has a MT #1 on one end and an MT #2 on the other.

I'm looking for information on how to make lanyards, what to use, where to buy materials, etc. Any help would be appreciated.