OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: In The absence of Organized sports people are redicovering the outdoors  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
Woods shouldn't be crowded.  Let 'em enjoy baseball and leave the spring woods to me.
They may take up deer hunting if they wish. ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
La Longbeard. You nailed it. My thoughts exactly. All these “ we need more hunters “ is a joke. What we really need is better habitat management and rebounding turkey populations.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Woods shouldn't be crowded.  Let 'em enjoy baseball and leave the spring woods to me.
They may take up deer hunting if they wish. ;D

Amen brother!
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
La Longbeard. You nailed it. My thoughts exactly. All these “ we need more hunters “ is a joke. What we really need is better habitat management and rebounding turkey populations.
  X3 .. So agree

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
What we really need is better habitat management and rebounding turkey populations.
I agree with this part anyway.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Maybe we should push for a social distancing order for the spring woods....Only one hunter for every 200 acres of public forest.
I agree that in today's hunting world it is getting more and more crowded as available space decreases every year. The rub comes in how far do we let our sport fall until it is no longer self sustaining and relevant? When states no longer get enough license revenue they will have to have more tax dollars. Do we really want the politicians managing our sport and wildlife? There's no easy answer.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Maybe we should push for a social distancing order for the spring woods....Only one hunter for every 200 acres of public forest.
I agree that in today's hunting world it is getting more and more crowded as available space decreases every year. The rub comes in how far do we let our sport fall until it is no longer self sustaining and relevant? When states no longer get enough license revenue they will have to have more tax dollars. Do we really want the politicians managing our sport and wildlife? There's no easy answer.
Have the hikers, birdy watchers, and tree huggers pay a yearly fee to get an access pass onto public lands. Hunters shouldn't be the only ones paying

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline redleg06

• Longbeard
Have the hikers, birdy watchers, and tree huggers pay a yearly fee to get an access pass onto public lands. Hunters shouldn't be the only ones paying

Agree that everyone who has the opportunity to use the woods should share an equal fee of some sort... They are all enjoying the benefits, whether they have a gun in their hand or not.  Something in the way of a "general use license" to help with the financial burden required to maintain government lands because it all takes money- gravel roads in national forest and WMA's aren't free and someone is paying for that.

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Excellent post, Redleg.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
I'd go for that redleg....boy I can hear the whining now. Hunters have paid the bill for the free loaders for long enough. I bet 8 out of 10 don't even realize who's been paying the bill.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler

X2 .. I've said this for years , they should pay also..

Offline camotoe

Yup can’t wait for the pro sports to start . Nothing like a Sunday afternoon football game and all the jock sniffers are running home to watch some flag burner run a ball around .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Using Louisiana as an example. Tags for residents are two for $5.00. If 1000 extra people bought tags that would be 5 thousand dollars. How much of that 5 grand do you think would actually go to anything related to a turkey? And even if all 5 grand was used exclusively for turkeys how much of a difference could you make state wide with 5 thousand dollars?
     I can guarantee 1000 extra mouth breathers stumbling around the woods would be a detriment to the enjoyment of Turkey hunting.
     Whose state uses Lisence sales income directly for the individual animal the Lisence or tag was sold for? Take your time I’ll wait.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler

Georgia did that a few years and now horse riders and bikers are welcome and disrupt a lot of the hunting.

Be careful on what you wish for, they contribute very little overall but have equal rights for usage.

Offline Spurs Up

Georgia did that a few years and now horse riders and bikers are welcome and disrupt a lot of the hunting.

Be careful on what you wish for, they contribute very little overall but have equal rights for usage.

Yep!  And once you open the side door to them paying their way, they’ll expect more and more. They’ll want zones and times set aside for their exclusive uses. Opportunities to hike, bike and ride horses and never have to encounter us hunters. Our hunting lands will become more like national parks.