OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: In The absence of Organized sports people are redicovering the outdoors  (Read 3978 times)

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
We are seeing a time of great opportunity for our love of the outdoors, but also a demand on it.

With covid-19 taking away so much of what people do outside of work we see them looking for what they can do to unwind. They are turning to the outdoors in droves. Go look at fishing tackle sections in Walmart and see what's left on the shelves. We saw more people in the woods this spring. It will only put more demand on our resources, but it will also bring more attention and hopefully funding to outdoor sports. we can gripe about it or engage those coming to the wild new. We can help mold how they do things and help them learn. It's both an opportunity and a concern. Let's discuss it.

I wrote a new blog on it today at :https://woodswaterandword.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:52:22 PM by eggshell »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
It won't take me to your story, what is it called?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
This is just a temporary thing.  Many people are out of work or working from home (which can't be controlled by their companies) and are using their additional time and company time to get outdoors.  Since kids are at home as well, the parents are going NUTS!!!  Once we recover from this, and we will, everyone will be back to normal and outside activities will cease.  People can only be HOMEBOUND for so long.  Let the vegetative state begin again!

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
I dont think it will be long lasting either. Once things get closer to normal people will turn to other things for the most part. Might be a while till we hit " normal" again though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
I dont think it will be long lasting either. Once things get closer to normal people will turn to other things for the most part. Might be a while till we hit " normal" again though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  X2 .. I agree with you Happy , i don't think it will last ..

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Not being in school is resulting in a deterioration in their ability to read, as in 'No Trespassing'.  It was almost unbelievable this year.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
I fixed the link

I agree most will go back to their old ways, but some will discover a new hobby. It will certainly be  boost for wildlife agencies as they get increased license sales and excise tax on gear

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
I actually hope they do. Spring woods filled with truckloads of wanna be turkey hunters put a huge damper on the hunt. I like to roam the woods to get away from people not to rub elbows. I like bumping into sure enough turkey hunters and talking with them a bit but there was a bunch I bumped into that I wished I hadnt.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Devastator

• Longbeard
Not being in school is resulting in a deterioration in their ability to read, as in 'No Trespassing'.  It was almost unbelievable this year.
I AGREE 1OO%

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
I actually hope they do. Spring woods filled with truckloads of wanna be turkey hunters put a huge damper on the hunt. I like to roam the woods to get away from people not to rub elbows. I like bumping into sure enough turkey hunters and talking with them a bit but there was a bunch I bumped into that I wished I hadnt.

I agree. We love a quiet, solitude woods my friend. It will be back next spring for sure......be safe
“Solo hunter”

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
I hope there will be some that will rediscover a part of them they never knew they had and will stay with it, but I just hope that will be the well mannered respectable bunch.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
X2 my friend.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
I’ll be glad when the whole thing is over. And I really Hope the covid part timers go back to whatever they  did before and stay out of the woods. More people even if adding to the game dept. money wise does not offset their detriment to the sport by just being there and doing stupid things.
     Turkey hunting is not an entry level sport. Most of them should take  up bank fishing or kite flying.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
I’ll be glad when the whole thing is over. And I really Hope the covid part timers go back to whatever they  did before and stay out of the woods. More people even if adding to the game dept. money wise does not offset their detriment to the sport by just being there and doing stupid things.
     Turkey hunting is not an entry level sport. Most of them should take  up bank fishing or kite flying.
All hunting is an entry level sport, we were all new to it at one time.

John Koenig:

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
All hunting is an entry level sport, we were all new to it at one time.
Nope.
 You can teach an 8 year old everything he needs to squirrel hunt in an afternoon. Sitting in a dove field waiting on the noon arrivals that’s also  entry level. Turkey hunting, the real kind takes a long time to become proficient, some never get there.
     I think the “we need more hunters “ has been beaten to death. When this  tired old saying was new, they were meaning more “ Hunters”  period. Why would you need more of a specific kind of hunter? Do we need more Turkey hunters but we are good on snipe and Big horn sheep hunters lol. No body’s trying to stop  turkey hunting and adding a few thousand wannabes to the woods wouldn’t help if someone was.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?