OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anyone use a cheek pad?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Anyone use a cheek pad?
« on: July 01, 2020, 12:16:05 AM »
I'm shooting a Remington SP-10 and this year was the first with a red dot sight. I love it! But... it is a bit awkward how I have to rest my cheek on the stock to line it up. Made me think a cheek pad/riser may be nice to have.

Anybody have any experiences with this? Thoughts?  Thank you!

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: Anyone use a cheek pad?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 05:20:17 AM »
The only time I used one was in the Army on our .300 Win Mag sniper systems. They were the built in adjustable ones. I liked that it gave you the ability to adjust it.

You might try seeing if you can find an exact spot where you can put your cheek and get a good sight picture then add a kisser button. This would cost you about $1.00 not sure if this is possible for you though, just trying to give you some other options.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 06:50:31 AM »
Look at the Beartooth Combing Raising kits.  It is a neoprene sleeve that will stretch over your stock.  It comes with different foam blocks that you use to shim your cheek to the proper height.  What I really like about the neoprene and foam is it takes care of cheek slap from those 3 1/2s.  I have found that once your red dot is sighted in initially it doesn't matter where your cheek or head is on the stock the POI is where the dot is.  I have killed plenty of birds with the stock turned 45 degrees from vertical because i have to shoot around obstacles.  The kits are plentiful on the net.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 07:04:38 AM »
This is what I use.
https://triadtactical.com/triad-stock-pack/
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 07:35:21 AM »
X3. Bear tooth comb kit works great.
“Solo hunter”

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 08:44:58 AM »
Depending how much height you need in the comb these might work and they're stupidly comfortable. I've got one on an old single shot my wife uses. Incredibly comfortable gun to shoot and the cheek pad make it really natural to get to the same spot each time you shoulder the gun. Look good on woods guns. I could understand not wanting to put one on a dipped gun.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Shotgun-Shell-Cartridge-Buttstock-Holder-Cheek-Rest-Padded/252696576786

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »
I installed a Beartooth on my little Mossberg 500 Bantam youth. Brings my eye inline with the FF3 perfectly, and reduces the slap from the recoil. Comes with different thickness foam pads so you can customize the height for your comfort. Great product.

https://www.beartooth-products.com/collections/comb-raising-kit-gun-cover-cheek-pad-weld-piece-riser
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Big Jeremy

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »
I made one out of an old camping pad I had laying in the basement. Wrapped it with camo duct tape, and I have been very pleased.

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 03:26:28 PM »
I went this route and love it..I’m use to the rubber cheek pad with a Benelli..Needed something higher for a red dot on my tri star this year.

https://godagrip.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »
I just used a piece of foam wrapped with an an old ace bandage. Works fine and didnt cost a dollar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 04:51:19 PM »
I put a Bear Tooth comb kit on my 870. I took the extra foam pieces and put them on the wife's Sa-20. I used a black self-adhesive bandage from the local Farm Fleet store to hold foam in place.

Online Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 06:46:13 PM »
God a grip

Offline Stickbow98

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »
I use this one on my Encore and really like it. $30.00 with a $10.00 off first purchase code. Great deal!

https://www.eabco.net/Original-Accu-Riser-4000-Cheek-Rest--Strap-or-Screw-On-Fit_p_13595.html

"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

Offline cutt down

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »
I have a Beretta gel-tek pad. It's clear & sticks on but is removeable. Mines been on 5 or 6yrs & it's great. You can get 1/4" or 6mm thickness. Very comfortable & since it's clear the camo pattern on my stock shows through it.