OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call judging criteria?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Jrkimbrough

Call judging criteria?
« on: June 29, 2020, 02:22:05 PM »
Could someone explain the judging process?  Are calls judged mainly on sound?  How much do aesthetics, craftmanship, etc come into play?

I was under the impression calls were judged 50/50....looks and sound. But have been told otherwise by a few individuals

Thanks

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Call judging criteria?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 03:52:53 PM »
I don't know if all callmaking competitions follow the same guidelines but the NWTF lays out their criteria for the Grand Nationals in each category. It's here in the rules section. Just look at the division and then the specific category. They list the criteria for each category, usually five things, as well as the weight placed on each of those five criteria. https://customcalls.nwtf.org/?action=rules

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »
I believe everything influences them, even if it isn't one of the listed criteria. I say that as I have had them leave comments on my calls relative to characteristics not on the judging card.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 06:39:41 PM »
In the "Hunter Division" they are basically judged by the sound, the ease of use and the range of notes produced. Looks should have nothing to do with it.

In the "Decorative Division" they are judged on the looks, craftmanship, theme etc. I think they have to run but they don't have to run well.