OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Diaphragm designs a gimmick?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Diaphragm designs a gimmick?
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:55:15 PM »
When looking at diaphragm calls these days, I see some crazy cut patterns in the latex. Much different from when I first started when they maybe had a single notch, or a slice cut on one side.

To what extent do these newer cut designs actually give added realism or functionality to the call, and how much of it is just a gimmick?

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Diaphragm designs a gimmick?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 09:00:06 PM »
Two good questions.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 09:13:20 PM »
I have a friend who builds calls, we have some crazy cuts we have tried, some of them are quite good, I think it boils down to the individual and also getting used to the particular call.

I would say none are a gimmick but also think you can gets used to several styles.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:19:57 PM »
I have been at it building mouth calls for a quite a few years now and I concluded long ago that the combinations of all the factors that impact mouth call sounds is virtually endless.  The cut design is only one of the variables. Not only that, but you can put the same call design in the mouth of different people and their ability to use that call design will all be different due to their individual and unique calling mechanics, as well as their experience using mouth calls.   

To directly answer your question, call makers that are trying to sell their product are always experimenting with call designs,...and you could no doubt call some of them a "gimmick" in that they are trying to find ways to get a "head up" on their competition in their effort to increase sales.  However, there is also no doubt that what would be considered an "unconventional" cut design can have just the right combination of all of the factors to sound great when used by a specific individual.  Unfortunately, another individual using the exact same call design could very easily sound completely different. 

Here's what I have preached for years regarding mouth calls.  Start out with an uncut (or minimally cut) call,...and learn to go through a series of cut progressions to find out where the "turkey" is in that particular call.  Depending on your abilities and the overall combination of all of the other variables that affect sound,....reed numbers, reed thicknesses, stretch (both lateral and "back-stretch"), reed setbacks, as well as cuts,...you will very likely find that a different cut design will give you the best sound from each individual call.   

Conversely, if you buy a call that is already got a number of cuts in it, it will be a crapshoot for you in terms of whether that cut design will suit you or not,...and once those cuts are in the call, you can't take them back and start over. 
I guess to summarize,...it's complicated!   ;D :laugh:

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 02:49:02 AM »
I think the only gimmicks are the names they use and what they say the call can do. That’s how they sell so many at cabelas. A lot of it is people not realizing that a certain cut will fit them personally better then another cut.

I know for me personally I began to look at the construction of a call versus everything else. The type of latex, cut type, reeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 12:33:04 PM »
When they start running out of things to sell you, they have to get creative.  Look at what they did with choke tubes, same thing.
Mouth calls, I prefer the more traditional cuts that have been around for years as opposed to the newer cuts you see.

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 08:26:28 PM »
Show me a call with cuts that’s more realistic than what Gulvas builds with ZERO cuts!

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 09:28:26 PM »
Everything you do changes the sound. Some changes are almost unnoticeable.  I've built tens of thousands of calls and I still play mad scientist.  Some things are more of a negative than positive. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »
Everything you do changes the sound. Some changes are almost unnoticeable.  ...Some things are more of a negative than positive.

Absolutely true!   The problem we have is that we never know if something is going to be a positive change or a negative one until we do it.  Not only that, but what is a positive change for one guy may well be a negative change for the next.  :D

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 11:33:10 PM »
I am glad that Gooserbat and Gobblenut chimed in...

I am not a call-maker and have zero interest in making a call...  But the cuts, the  type of rubber, the tension put on the rubber, the number of reeds, the type of rubber in each reed, etc...  All can make the call sound drastically or trivially different.

And the reason, we have not come up with that perfect call, is cause everyone has a different mouth, with a different palate, and we all lay our tongue on the reed differently in different spots in our mouths...  And of course different skill levels of manipulating the call in our mouth.

No doubt but that different calls can sound different...  From little rasp to really raspy, and from low to high pitches.  And some of the more popular cuts and styles are popular due to the fact that a good number of people can make them sound reasonably realistic.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 10:59:46 AM »
Video makes it easy to understand. Check out https://www.callingallturkeys.com/mouthcallmechanics

If it doesn't work you can look up www.callingallturkeys.com the go to the hunting and supplies tab. Then click on the mouth call mechanics. Shane talks about air flow and the different reed cuts, and the number of reeds.

Hope this helps you out.

Offline roberthyman14

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 07:46:54 PM »
Luckily I'm good friends with a call maker.  He keeps me supplied in mouth calls.  He makes some I love and some I hate.  But others can make those sound great.  I'm not a great caller by any means so certain cuts I can make certain sounds really well.  Then I might need to change call to a different cut for different sounds.  I really just need to practice way more.  I also have the same cut from a different call maker that sounds fantastic.  Everything looks identical, only difference is how tight it is stretched. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk