turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help pick my first (& only) pot call

Started by mcw3734, June 28, 2020, 04:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihuntoldschool

Get you a cheap slate with a hardwood striker.  Use the mouth calls in the rain (or shine). 

EZ

The "weatherproofing" is more in the striker than the calling surface other than slate will eventually absorb water. Most any of the rest will run wet with an acrylic striker.

mcw3734

rodney gillikin

Go to shows and play the call yourself believe me every call plays a little different between how it's used but above all I like custom calls I like call maker to build a call for me beauty is it the eye of the beholder and if you like a call you will use the call
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

CMH

Look up johnsinclaircustomcalls.com. Has sound files to listen to. He makes great calls.

Turkeytider

Quote from: EZ on June 29, 2020, 08:52:56 AM
The "weatherproofing" is more in the striker than the calling surface other than slate will eventually absorb water. Most any of the rest will run wet with an acrylic striker.

True about the striker and calling surface. If the pot itself is wood, might have an issue with it getting wet, I would think.

rakkin6

Quote from: Turkeytider on June 28, 2020, 09:20:10 PM
Quote from: mcw3734 on June 28, 2020, 06:52:04 PM
So, am I hearing that ceramic is best for being weatherproof? If so, does ceramic produce similar loud, sharp sounds when trying to cut through the wind and for distance as glass/crystal?

Thanks for the input!

Take a look at Enticer Calls by Al Holbert. They run great wet or dry.
X2 on enticer great calls, good in all weather and reasonably priced

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

M,Yingling

agree with above to run call in wet conditionsit is all in striker personally I  I like man made materials for water proff pots or stabilized woods ,,, I have had plenty wood pots cup in summer from using them in the rain in spring I like crystal in the rain
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TonyTurk

If OP is able to limit himself to only one pot call, he has a lot more willpower than I do!  :funnyturkey:

I will second the recommendation for John Sinclair and will also recommend Gooserbat.