turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help pick my first (& only) pot call

Started by mcw3734, June 28, 2020, 04:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

As somebody who only carries a couple diaphragm calls in the woods, I've come to the realization that I should carry a friction option for when I need volume and to change things up. In keeping with my minimalist mindset, I know I only want one pot call with no more than two strikers. I've done a little research I'm thinking either a crystal or glass call.

But it's a little intimidating when shopping around. I see calls there aren't just glass or crystal calls, but "slate over glass", which I guess are double sided calls? Is there a downside to these 2-for-1 setups? The options for strikers blows my mind and people seem to prefer something other than what comes with the call.

Then there's cost. I see a Woodhaven crystal call for $95 and also some brands you can get at Walmart for $25. I'm willing to spend the money for a quality call and striker. And by quality I mean in functionality and durability. Just not necessarily interested in custom calls only for fancy wood (unless that wood does make a better sound).

Oh, and it needs to be reasonably weatherproof.

Thoughts? Thanks in advanced!

Greg Massey

Several good pot call builders to consider: Buster - Larry Halford, Clay Townsend, Mark Cornelius, Dustin Jones, Nathan Taylor, Jimmy Schaffer and Brad Roberts , these are just few.. if you do Facebook look these guys up and listen to some of the sound files they post of different surfaces of pot calls.. If it's your first you may want either slate surface or glass surface..

Tom007

Also Paul Hicks makes a great call. He is Daddy Rat on the forum. He is back in the shop. Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

One pot and weatherproof I'd run a ceramic over glass. Plenty of the above mentioned makers could make you a fine one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Yes, Greg's list is solid, great pot call makers on that, won't be disappointed with any of them. Great guys too....
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: mcw3734 on June 28, 2020, 04:33:41 PM
But it's a little intimidating when shopping around. I see calls there aren't just glass or crystal calls, but "slate over glass", which I guess are double sided calls? Is there a downside to these 2-for-1 setups? The options for strikers blows my mind and people seem to prefer something other than what comes with the call.

In regards to "slate over glass" or "glass over glass" or "ceramic over glass" etc. it's referring to the friction surface over the soundboard surface. There are two siders as well where you have the primary friction surface and can also play the underside of the soundboard.

Tom007

Chester has a good point on the ceramic over glass, weatherproof striker. Good Call. Facebook has most of these callers on it. Just type in the name, should pop up......Prices for good calls range between 50, up to and past 100 bucks......You can get great deals here on our Pot Call classifieds. Good news, the forum members sell them for fair prices, and are honest about condition....Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Tom007 on June 28, 2020, 06:03:07 PM
Chester has a good point on the ceramic over glass, weatherproof striker. Good Call. Facebook has most of these callers on it. Just type in the name, should pop up......
A good one will play as easy as slate and you won't have to worry about weather at all.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

I'll add that if you are only wanting one a double sider might be a good bet. Give you two calling surfaces. Larry Gresser makes some nice ceramics and he's got some ceramic over glass double siders available for very reasonable prices. If they don't have sound files call him and he'll play them. https://prairiecalls.com/ceramic_turkey_calls

mcw3734

So, am I hearing that ceramic is best for being weatherproof? If so, does ceramic produce similar loud, sharp sounds when trying to cut through the wind and for distance as glass/crystal?

Thanks for the input!

Tom007

IMO, absolutely. You can call loud, and soft on a ceramic.....very versatile. I have a black Limba Stumpy ceramic. It is awesome......
"Solo hunter"

Loyalist84

For one pot call, Nathan Taylor makes a red slate in maple that has blown me away this past season in terms of sheer numbers of responses and dead birds. For a weatherproof though, the only custom-level call I've brought birds into range with is a Jimmy Schaffer Canarywood Aluminum.

Turkeytider

Quote from: mcw3734 on June 28, 2020, 06:52:04 PM
So, am I hearing that ceramic is best for being weatherproof? If so, does ceramic produce similar loud, sharp sounds when trying to cut through the wind and for distance as glass/crystal?

Thanks for the input!

Take a look at Enticer Calls by Al Holbert. They run great wet or dry.

yelpy

It's a tough question to answer. There are so many good calls out there. Any surface will give you volume depending on how the call is built. A 2 sided pot might just be the way to go if your only looking to carry one pot call.