turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge weight?

Started by DirtNap647, June 28, 2020, 04:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

Thinking on going from a 12 to 20.  Anyone know the weight difference between a Remington 1187 20 gauge compact and a franchi affinity 20 gauge compact? Thinking on one of the two or maybe a benelli m2. Like the shorter barrel on 1187 and price but if I go 20 I want it lighter then my 12. Any thoughts towards my decision?

Dtrkyman

Most of the 20s are too heavy, first thing I looked at was getting a gun in the sub 6lb range, it eliminated a bunch immediately!

Many were as heavy as the sbe2 I was using. I think the 1187 is 6.5 lbs, not bad but the main reason I went sub guage was to lose the weight, I am contemplating a 28 ga. honestly.

Greg Massey

I'm guessing my Remington 870 is around 6 pounds give or take. I started my build from youth model 870 with 21 inch barrel and replace the stock and forearm with Remington Shurshot stock and forearm .. fine little 20 ga.

ChesterCopperpot

I believe the Remington is six and a half, the Franchi is just a fuzz under six, and the Benelli 24" is a little bit lighter than the Franchi at 5.7lbs. The 26" Affinity Catalyst is actually 0.3lbs lighter than the Affinity in that it's designed for the female shooter (5.6lbs). If you've got a shorter length of pull and/or like a high comb that's a great gun. I've held and shot them. Was thinking of buying one for my wife.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Benelli M2 Compact is 5.25lbs.

Anyone who says 20s are close to the weight of 12s hasn't hadn't the pleasure of carrying around a 5lb shotgun.

DirtNap647

So a benelli is a pound and a half lighter then 1187

nativeks

Ive got a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. It wallops more than my Beretta 12 ga but it is light. I actually hate the gun. Ive shot 1 turkey and 3 mallards with it. It will likely rarely see the light of day.

paboxcall

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 28, 2020, 04:51:27 PM
Anyone who says 20s are close to the weight of 12s hasn't hadn't the pleasure of carrying around a 5lb shotgun.

:agreed:

My Mossberg 500 youth bantam is 5.25 pounds. Cool little gun to tote around. Saved about 1.5 pounds over the Winchester 1300, not as much on the little H&R single shot I have.

Pound or so ain't much if you walk small private ground, but its a huge improvement when you get to mile 4, 5, or further in and out on big tracts of public ground.

Cut back on everything in the vest too. Only carry four shells, at most two pots, etc.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Everything about the 20s weigh less including the shells once they are in the gun.

20 ga brass, hulls, wads and components weigh less than 12s. They have 1 5/8s shot instead of 2 1/4 in a 3.5" 12 ga shell.

It all adds up and it makes a big difference on 8-12 mile days.

howl

You can get a 12ga down around seven pounds pretty easily. If the 20ga isn't at least a pound lighter, why bother?

My 20ga weigh about six pounds. You can get one a half pound lighter without looking too hard. If you go much lighter than that, you are so light that holding them steady takes more concentration. My 3.3# .410, for instance, requires careful aim.

Jstocks

I would go with a recoil operated gun. The stoeger seem nice. I think the 3020 is comparable in weight to an affinity.

zelmo1

I have a Stoeger 3020 and it saved me 4 pounds over my Browning Gold 12/3.5". Mossberg makes a nice compact 20 and 28, which I bought, and they are nice. Try one of them , for the weight and money, they are great. Al Baker

DirtNap647

never held a stoeger will have to try one, inertia guns must be longer I stood a super black eagle 3 with a 24" barrel beside a Mossberg 835 26" barrel and they were the same total length...?

Kygobblergetter

The stoeger 3020 turkey edition is my go to. I threw a vortex venom on it and the factory choke shoots just as good as the Indian creek I bought for it. 5.6 pound gun with the 24 inch barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk