OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

North Carolina Turkey Harvest Numbers UP!

Started by bbcoach, June 28, 2020, 11:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I received an E-mail yesterday and as suspected, NC had a record kill in turkeys this spring.  The 2017 season had the previous record of 18,919 birds harvested with the new record in 2020 reported 23,314 birds harvested.  Agency biologists believe the increase is due to Covid-19's stay at home order that gave people more time afield.  Not sure what other states have experienced but I believe if your state didn't see record numbers, the numbers were definitely up as long as your Governors didn't infringe on your Right to hunt and be in the outdoors.  Here's the link to article if you would like to read it, https://www.ncwildlife.org/News/wild-turkey-harvest-sets-record-high-for-2020-season?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nc-wildlife-update&utm_content=Copy+of+NEW+FORMAT+June+2020

Turkeytider

Up in Georgia as well. Remains to be seen what, if any, impact this will have biologically.

Parrot Head

FL-Boss

new records set pretty much everywhere. That happens when you add 2x the number of hunters

deadbuck

Slightly fewer reported in Mississippi even with 1.5x the hunters. Just shows how hard they are to kill here once the dumb ones die first 10 days of season.

310 gauge

Hunting behind a week long youth season and following first time adult/child beginners was a chore for sure. Saw pop-up blinds and decoy spreads in fields that had just started getting a few turkeys in. Blown up Jakes advertising in February got first timers fired up and "let the party begin". Yes, N.C. set a few records.

Cut N Run

I saw more hunters than gobblers in NC last Spring.  Heard several turkeys die, but saw none fall to my gun   It was the first season I've been skunked in a while.  I'm not happy with how many jakes were killed in North Carolina this year, but I get it.  Too many people in the woods looking to spend tags at any cost.  I hope everyone is back to work and every day isn't Saturday for next year's turkey season.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

bbcoach

Quote from: Cut N Run on June 30, 2020, 10:18:38 PM
I saw more hunters than gobblers in NC last Spring.  Heard several turkeys die, but saw none fall to my gun   It was the first season I've been skunked in a while.  I'm not happy with how many jakes were killed in North Carolina this year, but I get it.  Too many people in the woods looking to spend tags at any cost.  I hope everyone is back to work and every day isn't Saturday for next year's turkey season.

Jim
Well said Jim!  My sentiments as well.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Cut N Run on June 30, 2020, 10:18:38 PM

Jim

Yep, and a price will be paid for killing all those jakes.

Tom007

Our state, NJ has not posted the harvest data from this year yet. I am anxious to see the numbers this year from the added pressure.
"Solo hunter"

wvmntnhick

Every state saw it. I hunted a couple days on public land with a buddy of mine that was going for his first time. Bumped into a guy that said he'd never seen hunters in that part of the WMA before. There were several parked at the gate and 3 ahead of us. Told me everything I needed to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quavers59

I bet (Ol Turkey Master) of the Smokey Mt. Region of North Carolina accounted for 1 or 2 of them. He could be a member here. - Love his Utube Videos!!!

Turkeytider

Serious question. Can the turkey populations withstand that kind of pressure repeatedly? I personally don`t see how, but I`m not a wildlife biologist, either.

bbcoach

Quote from: Turkeytider on July 14, 2020, 04:40:42 PM
Serious question. Can the turkey populations withstand that kind of pressure repeatedly? I personally don`t see how, but I`m not a wildlife biologist, either.
If we get Covid under control and people are back to work and school next spring, I believe harvest numbers will come back down.  NC is doing their 2020 Summer Turkey Surveys this month and next.  Those numbers will be published around the 15th of September.  My hunting buddies and myself are seeing very good populations where we hunt.  After talking to many hunting buddies this spring, most had a rough time harvesting birds.  I believe the harvest numbers were up because many more hunters were able to hunt instead of working or going to school.  Time will give us the Big picture.   

Cut N Run

Glad to hear you're seeing birds, Coach.  I went to the farm I hunt most to check the trail camera I left out and it was gone. Somebody pried the bear box off the tree & took everything.  I called the guy who deer hunts out there and he had 2 cameras stolen as well.

I haven't seen the first poult behind the house this year.  Last year I had 13 poults.  There areb 4 adult hens showing up regularly, but that's it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.