OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: One striker to carry forever  (Read 6928 times)

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
One striker to carry forever
« on: June 26, 2020, 08:03:52 PM »
So if you could only have one striker to carry for the rest of your life to play on any pot you ever encounter what's the striker? If you got pictures post them. Mine's a production laminate striker from Tom Teasers that came in a set they marketed as "Double Trouble" (one purpleheart and one laminate "constructed of #1 grade black walnut"). I've got some really nice strikers from really nice custom makers in all sorts of woods and this would still be the one. Sadly I've bought other sets trying to find a back up and never found another that plays like this one. This striker would play a window pane or a rock covered in mica. It's my one.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: One striker to carry forever
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 08:10:28 PM »
 Either Fowler osage snakewood or Clay Townsend persimmon snakewood

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »
My go to is a heavy birch laminate and a close second would be a heavy dymondwood.  These 2 play on just about everything from gray slate to aluminum.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 08:28:34 PM »
I know what I like now but I got two coming, I will let you know then..

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »
Fowler Snakewood/Osage
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
JLH frogwood or Clay Townsend snakewood/persimmon top

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 09:55:03 PM »
That is going to be a Lyman Walnut or frogwood at this point.

Online Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 10:24:33 PM »
x2

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 10:53:14 PM »
An osage striker a grizzled ol' turkey killer from WV whittled one winter sitting in front of the fireplace. That little striker works perfect on everything.

Fear someday I'll lose it. He's no longer with us, so no replacements.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 06:23:14 AM »
Not to toot my own horn but I'd use the Gooserbat All Weather Striker.  It's a composite, plays at 95% when wet, and sound very good on every surface we've tried.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 07:26:09 AM »
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
Fowler Snakewood/Osage

Make that another Fowler osage/snakewood. I`ve about decided Jeff`s Frogwood, which actually is a birch laminate, is running a close second. Lots of excellent striker craftsmen making excellent strikers but Mr. Harold`s o/s is just special for some reason, at least IMHO. If I ever lost it I`d have to quit turkey hunting. Just kidding.....but only a little!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:37:03 AM by Turkeytider »

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 09:41:09 AM »
Not to toot my own horn but I'd use the Gooserbat All Weather Striker.  It's a composite, plays at 95% when wet, and sound very good on every surface we've tried.

I've yet to find an all weather striker I like. I've got a production composite that came with a call a long time ago, a Woodhaven acrylic, and a David Halloran waterproof striker and all will run, but nothing I love that's for sure. Might have to give one of yours a try.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 11:54:27 AM »
Clay Townsend bloodwood with a persimmon top or a Derrick Stuckey one piece macassar Ebony. That being said , the 2 I own. A maker can build 10 and each one will sound diffrent. I actually have 4 of Derrick Stuckeys Macassar strikers and three or ok and are picky what they run on. I have one that plays awesome on everything. Wanted to get a back up in case I lost it. Over the years I bought 3 and none will hold a candle to the first one I got from him.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 11:57:04 AM »
Clay Townsend bloodwood with a persimmon top or a Derrick Stuckey one piece macassar Ebony. That being said , the 2 I own. A maker can build 10 and each one will sound diffrent. I actually have 4 of Derrick Stuckeys Macassar strikers and three or ok and are picky what they run on. I have one that plays awesome on everything. Wanted to get a back up in case I lost it. Over the years I bought 3 and none will hold a candle to the first one I got from him.

Absolutely!