OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Latest E-Mail from NWTF  (Read 2461 times)

Latest E-Mail from NWTF
« on: June 26, 2020, 05:58:01 PM »

The National Wild Turkey Federation has been a conservation leader and hunter advocate for nearly 50 years. During this time, we have never experienced the level of financial concern as we face today.

Due to COVID-19 and the resulting halt of our fundraising events this spring, the NWTF has experienced a near catastrophic loss of revenue that has forced us to cut operational expenses to ensure the sustainable financial health of the organization. As a result, we have laid off over 50 staff. The loss of these dedicated, passionate individuals is extremely difficult for the Flock. They are friends, colleagues, mentors and members, and we will miss them greatly and pray for them.

We are reaching out to our volunteer chapters, partners and supporters to discuss our plans moving forward, including how their areas will be staffed. We hope to have most of these details sorted out soon.

Fundraising events are ramping up again, and we are now safely holding banquets and other events with fewer than 250 people, following all local, state and national guidelines to protect our guests, members and staff. In addition, we will continue online fundraising efforts, including a new capital funding campaign, Call for All.
We still have a steep hill to climb to recover from the effects of the pandemic, and we have a major goal ahead of us to raise at least $5 million by the end of August. Together, we can get there, but we need the help of our members, donors, friends and partners like never before.

We sincerely hope you will join with us and answer the Call for All by renewing your membership, attending an event or online fundraiser or making a donation today.

Sincerely,

Becky Humphries
NWTF CEO

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: Latest E-Mail from NWTF
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
Based a conversation myself and a couple friends had with a NWTF regional director or whatever his fancy title was and a couple of his arrogant associates in 2001, I can say I’m not surprised.   Only thing that surprises me is it took as long as it did.   So to the NWTF I say, as far as I’m concerned your on your own.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:26:09 PM by guesswho »
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 07:24:25 PM »
I only have 1 question, What do the Wild Turkeys get for that 5 mill since you supposedly represent them???  And while we are on the subject, What happened to the monies that you took in during the recent NWTF Convention from booth, parking and entry fees from an almost week long convention??

Offline Cove

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 09:23:16 PM »
I won't say I'm exactly "late to the party" because I have been observing but have and will continue to hold my tongue on the issue for now.

But I do have one question some on here may be able to answer. Are any of the other similar organizations (Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Quail Forever, etc) finding themselves in similar situations with layoffs and such?

Offline tracker vi

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 10:09:15 PM »
This

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 11:52:31 PM »
That

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »
I won't say I'm exactly "late to the party" because I have been observing but have and will continue to hold my tongue on the issue for now.

But I do have one question some on here may be able to answer. Are any of the other similar organizations (Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Quail Forever, etc) finding themselves in similar situations with layoffs and such?

I haven't really looked to see what is happening with the other organizations, but I would guess they are all hurting right now.  I suspect non-profit support for wildlife will take a serious hit for a while.  If there is any silver lining to all of this, it is that it will force the non-profits to take a long, hard look at their organizational make-up and will likely result in some long-overdue "fat-trimming" for a few of them. 

On a bright note, however, the passage of the "Great American Outdoors Act" should offset the loss of revenue from the non-profits,...and then some.  That is, assuming that those new dollars for wildlife get spent in the right places. 

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 02:08:49 PM »
Based a conversation myself and a couple friends had with a NWTF regional director or whatever his fancy title was and a couple of his arrogant associates in 2001, I can say I’m not surprised.   Only thing that surprises me is it took as long as it did.   So to the NWTF I say, as far as I’m concerned your on your own.

X10
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »
Sorry that some of your gravy train has ended. Cut back from eating steak and lobster to eating just steak. You will be ok.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »
They only need 5 Million by August?

Offline Brian Fahs

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
Like most of us older guys the NWTF is not what it used to be. 30 years ago I joined and donated and drank the juice. I just got tired of being bombarded with the begging for money. I lost interest quickly and dropped out. Sad.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 05:54:09 PM »
I used to have a guy that lived down the street that worked for the NWTF, he was always at home, looked as if he had no job, he moved but a few years later he applied for a job where my wife works, said he was a event coordinator and fund raiser for the NWTF on his application and that his salary was 90k.....

Online squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »
Only reason I joined was due to NWTF actually spending $$$ at a local WMA I hunt in S FL. 

I’m sure you can find some good in them and always good to reset every so often.

Same issues with many United Way chapters and other non-profits.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 06:10:27 PM »
Common trajectory for organizations which grow to bloated proportions. I hope this situation is the catalyst for hard internal administrative change, that will take humility. I stopped supporting them years ago for the reasons already stated.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer