OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wendell Rye ceramic over glass  (Read 2266 times)

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Wendell Rye ceramic over glass
« on: June 26, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »
Got this Wendell Rye ceramic over glass in an American chestnut pot today. Been wanting a ceramic surface but mainly wanted the wood. Was salvaged from an 1843 building in Watauga County, NC near Valle Crucis. There's an old Episcopalian mission there that was built in the same time frame and Wendell figures the building was likely part of that. I figure the wood was probably close to a hundred when it was cut off the mountain so pushing three centuries now. Glad to have it back here in the North Carolina mountains where it belongs. Hope to shoot a ridgerunner next April!

Here's a sound file from 35yds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOR40BBjGhc&feature=youtu.be

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Wendell Rye ceramic over glass
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »
Nice background story, like the shape of the call, I have not seen that before myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 05:24:48 PM »
Nice background story, like the shape of the call, I have not seen that before myself.

All of Wendell's calls that I've ever seen have that shape. Looks like a honey pot. Think he's most well known for his copper pots. I've got one of those in osage orange that's a killer. He turns a really gorgeous call and some great strikers. Above all else, they sound great, especially in the hands of someone who ain't a halfwit like me  :TooFunny:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 05:30:48 PM »

All of Wendell's calls that I've ever seen have that shape. Looks like a honey pot. Think he's most well known for his copper pots. I've got one of those in osage orange that's a killer. He turns a really gorgeous call and some great strikers. Above all else, they sound great, especially in the hands of someone who ain't a halfwit like me  :TooFunny:
I do not remember having seen one of his before, I have heard/seen his name plenty of times though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 05:39:10 PM »

I do not remember having seen one of his before, I have heard/seen his name plenty of times though.

You ever get in the market for a copper call snatch up one of his copper over acrylics. He turns most of them in a 3" pot, whereas this ceramic was a 3.5". Those 3" pots are hard to get right and he does so consistently. Here's a sound file on that copper call I have (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ifb2YNx1gE). Called four birds in for my wife this year with that call. It's a hell of a soft talker.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 06:22:12 PM »
Sounds very nice. What was the striker next to it in the picture?

John Koenig:

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 07:08:43 PM »

Flared tip yellow heart from David Halloran on that copper. And one of his ipe on the ceramic.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 07:19:53 PM »
Interesting history.  Great looking caller.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 08:29:11 PM »

Flared tip yellow heart from David Halloran on that copper. And one of his ipe on the ceramic.
Thanks, his ipe is one of my favorite strikers.

John Koenig:

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 08:34:24 PM »

Thanks, his ipe is one of my favorite strikers.

He turns a mean striker that's for sure! His ipe stays in my vest and I usually carry one of his dymondwood two piece strikers too. Would love to try one of his bloodwood or ebony strikers.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 08:41:34 PM »
The copper call sounds good  I have a stainless one that sounds good it has a aqcrylic sound board also 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 10:49:28 AM »
The copper call sounds good  I have a stainless one that sounds good it has a aqcrylic sound board also

In my opinion his metal surfaces sound best.

Offline Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »
Wendall makes some fine pot calls that are full of turkey.  And at a reasonable price and a fine person to deal with !