OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trouble with trumpet and wingbone calls  (Read 9291 times)

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Trouble with trumpet and wingbone calls
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 12:19:47 AM »
Let me preface this by saying I consider myself a bad turkey caller. I call turkeys in sometimes but I dont think I sound very good. I started playing around with trumpets, wingbones and cane yelpers about 6 years ago. Until I started watching videos on youtube I was not confident in playing them. I would practice some and could not get a sound I wanted. I figured out for me, I was trying way too hard which made my trumpet calls way too loud. I watched and listened to Zack Palmer and he
Plays smooth and easy. I tried to sound like him and there was no way. Main advice I can give is listen to the good ones. They play soft and easy and dont try to sound like them just let them teach you to play. Sound like yourself and a lot of frustration will go away. I have called in and seen killed several turkeys the last couple of years that I started with a trumpet and finished with something else. I will finish one some day but happy so far.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 01:21:38 AM »
Expense and/or style of call have very little to do with ease of use. It's ALL internals, from the mouthpiece to the end of the call as well as the ability of the user.

One of the easiest Trumpets to run is a Penns Woods Turpin.

If the OP hasn't watched Marlin Watkins Trumpet lesson #1 on YouTube, you need to do so.

First 3 videos on this are Marlins. There are also some others including our own Del Crow. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 11:39:00 AM »
Biggest problems with suction style calls:
-  are people do not put the time needed to become proficient with them plus the time to stay proficient on them.
- when a person asks for feedback on their calling most will not be honest with what they hear or can tell them how to improve.
- people do not want to invest in a good call that will help them learn the call, that does not require you buying the most
  expensive out there. They would rather buy a cheap call saying they will get a better when they learn.
- people are too busy looking for a magic call/mouthpiece rather than learning on a call.
- people try doing too many vocals to soon.  Learn the yelp and build off of it.
- guys recommending calls do not take inconsideration that having mechanics is different than learning mechanics and will just
   recommend their current favorite call rather than a good call to learn on.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:25:06 PM by davisd9 »
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
-  are people do not put the time needed to become proficient with them plus the time to stay proficient on them.
- when a person asks for feedback on their calling most will not be honest with what they hear or can tell them how to improve.
- people do not want to invest in a good call that will help them learn the call, that does not require you buying the most
  expensive out there. They would rather buy a cheap call saying they will get a better when they learn.
- people are too busy looking for a magic call/mouthpiece rather than learning on a call.
- people try doing too many vocals to soon.  Learn the yelp and build off of it.
- guys recommending calls do not take inconsideration that having mechanics is different than learning mechanics and will just

Some very good points.
Regardless of what type of call, Wingbone, Jordan or Trumpet or drink stir, air control is key. If someone asks for my help in learning to call on any type yelper, I won't even let him try to do a "turkey" call. Just make one note and hold it. Keeeeeeeeee………..It will take some time to master holding that single note, but until a person can do it smoothly, softly, mid range, then louder, then back down smooth and soft, there's no sense in moving on. Practicing correctly is really key. That's why I like Marlin's little tutorial on YouTube. He explains it pretty well.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 05:57:00 PM »
Let me preface this by saying I consider myself a bad turkey caller. I call turkeys in sometimes but I dont think I sound very good. I started playing around with trumpets, wingbones and cane yelpers about 6 years ago. Until I started watching videos on youtube I was not confident in playing them. I would practice some and could not get a sound I wanted. I figured out for me, I was trying way too hard which made my trumpet calls way too loud. I watched and listened to Zack Palmer and he
Plays smooth and easy. I tried to sound like him and there was no way. Main advice I can give is listen to the good ones. They play soft and easy and dont try to sound like them just let them teach you to play. Sound like yourself and a lot of frustration will go away. I have called in and seen killed several turkeys the last couple of years that I started with a trumpet and finished with something else. I will finish one some day but happy so far.
Isn't Zack Palmer a golfer.

you might be thinking of Tiger Woodwind

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:55:17 PM »
Neither a golfer or turkey. I meant Farmer. Tiger woodwind is probably a democrat.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »

Some very good points.
Regardless of what type of call, Wingbone, Jordan or Trumpet or drink stir, air control is key. If someone asks for my help in learning to call on any type yelper, I won't even let him try to do a "turkey" call. Just make one note and hold it. Keeeeeeeeee………..It will take some time to master holding that single note, but until a person can do it smoothly, softly, mid range, then louder, then back down smooth and soft, there's no sense in moving on. Practicing correctly is really key. That's why I like Marlin's little tutorial on YouTube. He explains it pretty well.
Great advice from both above. I tried way too much stuff when I was learning. I was looking for the magical call and there isn’t one. When deciding on a call look at who gets mentioned frequently and pick one. Another thing to consider is wait time. I know what it’s like to want something fairly quick so you can start practicing and that can be agonizing with a year or 2 waiting period. Practice soft I know I tried to suck the guts out of them when I was learning. You start sounding turkey when you lay off the volume.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
Chris O: "You start sounding turkey when you lay off the volume."

Very good point Chris. If your lips and mouth are getting sore, you're trying way too hard.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 02:49:56 PM »
Chris O: "You start sounding turkey when you lay off the volume."

Very good point Chris. If your lips and mouth are getting sore, you're trying way too hard.

Spot on. Many can't comprehend just how far this sound will carry. It projects a long, long way.

Once 'less is more' with air volume is understood, the learning curve begins to shorten. Thanks to boatpaddle's mentoring on this exact point, my confidence running a trumpet grew quickly because I was gaining control of the air flow.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 05:43:49 PM »
A suction call is the only omni directional call, we use...

LESS is more & soft is super...

It never ceases to amaze me, how far the sound carries from a suction call...

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2020, 06:42:43 PM »
A suction call is the only omni directional call, we use...

LESS is more & soft is super...

It never ceases to amaze me, how far the sound carries from a suction call...

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

When you going to text me some pointers?   :)
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »
Adjust the lip stop until you find the "sweet spot" for you.  It will not only sound better but will be easier to run.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »
I have been having a hard time getting the draw down myself. I can yelp but I know it is not the right way so I am trying to learn the right way so I can have more range with a call. This is me with a yelper I have, I have a hard time breathing when drawing myself. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trying-to-draw-air-on-a-yelper/s-fygomfUE7t3
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:55:17 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 10:24:22 PM »
I have been having a hard time getting the draw down myself. I can yelp but I know it is not the right way so I am trying to learn the right way so I can have more range with a call. This is me with a yelper I have, I have a hard time breathing when drawing myself. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trying-to-draw-air-on-a-yelper

The link does not work

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2020, 10:55:49 PM »
I have been having a hard time getting the draw down myself. I can yelp but I know it is not the right way so I am trying to learn the right way so I can have more range with a call. This is me with a yelper I have, I have a hard time breathing when drawing myself. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trying-to-draw-air-on-a-yelper

The link does not work
Should work now, here is the link anyway so you do not have to go back up. https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trying-to-draw-air-on-a-yelper/s-fygomfUE7t3

John Koenig: