turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tuning a box call

Started by ChesterCopperpot, June 25, 2020, 12:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

I've seen multiple comments lately that boil down to, "Whatever you do, do not touch the screw." Wondering what the aversion is to tuning a box call if you're slightly unhappy with the sound? Is it that you trust the maker's ear more than your own? Or is it fear of boring out the hole? Why should you never touch the screw?

AppalachianHollers

Lonnie Mabry seemed to suggest to me that over time that would be a legitimate thing to do—but he also suggested marking with a pen or knife exactly where the screw lines up with the paddle before making any adjustments. That way you can "reset" to the original. I then looked closely and could tell he had actually notched the wood around the screw himself while tuning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

I'd turn it, but as mentioned mark the original posistion.  If you do turn the screw go in small increments, it doesn't take much.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ChesterCopperpot

I've always fiddled with them and never messed anything up which is why I've never understood the aversion to it. I haven't ever heard the idea of marking the original spot, though, and I like that idea a lot. Assuming that you never have to go more than a full rotation in either direction and that you remember which direction you went that could be super helpful.

paboxcall

Usually well less than a quarter turn in either direction will get it going.

If you're turning a full turn, something else is wrong.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: paboxcall on June 25, 2020, 02:17:11 PM

I'm going to start putting those marks on for sure.

paboxcall

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on June 25, 2020, 02:19:19 PM

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,94334.msg923971.html#msg923971
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Gooserbat

A very little goes a long way.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: paboxcall on June 25, 2020, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on June 25, 2020, 02:19:19 PM

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,94334.msg923971.html#msg923971

That's a super helpful thread and maybe does get at one of the reasons to tell people not to touch the screw, specifically the, "A wood screw is, essentially, a coarse-threaded wedge. Wedges do what to wood?? Yep.  Don't wanna split your end block." I've never done that, but I also never thought about it. Most calls I haven't had to touch, but I got a box a couple months ago brand new from a really great shop and I wound up making a quarter turn to get the sound I wanted. Love it now. Was just confused why people were so adamant about not turning it. Fear of splitting the block might make sense.

paboxcall

Agree Chester, and the underlying fear of never getting back to where they started.

Gooserbat

I look at it different than most people.  I think of them as musical instruments and most instruments need tuned.  Guitars, pianos, even trumpets have adjustments. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

West Augusta

A few call makers super glue the screw after they tune the call so it can't be adjusted. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: West Augusta on June 26, 2020, 06:26:37 AM
A few call makers super glue the screw after they tune the call so it can't be adjusted.
Custom or production?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk