OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Claro walnut  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
Re: Claro walnut
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 10:24:47 AM »
Looks and sound ability are 2 different parts of a pot call.  Yes the pot call looks good , but the sound tone needs improving. He ask for opinions and that's what we all gave was our opinion , if you don't want opinions don't post the calls .. and as long as he asking for opinions, i will peck on this key board all i want. I agree NO need to get discouraged, just keep making improvements and for some of the ones who gave a honest opinion , i would trust their opinion. Again opinions vary..

I agree.

I blow my truck horn at gobblers by the house and they gobble, doesn't mean I can call him to the truck with the horn. Not sure why someone would get mad, angry or what ever when someone post on a Turkey Hunting Forum a call they made and ask for opinions of that call.

That person will get many different opinions, some good, Some Not. Take the information and try to improve the call or don't post them asking for Opinions!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:44:30 AM by Yelper »

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »
Turkeys do what turkeys do
When the season in they'll answer too anything that resembles sound of turkeys
Inside of that pot it's a chamber everything you do will change the sound and
Especially too get a good break / rollovers at the end of a Yelp
Not sounding like a bunch of scratching sound  like what you have going on
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 10:48:33 AM »
Looks and sound ability are 2 different parts of a pot call.  Yes the pot call looks good , but the sound tone needs improving. He ask for opinions and that's what we all gave was our opinion , if you don't want opinions don't post the calls .. and as long as he asking for opinions, i will peck on this key board all i want. I agree NO need to get discouraged, just keep making improvements and for some of the ones who gave a honest opinion , i would trust their opinion. Again opinions vary..

So what are the things he can do specifically to improve the sound of the call? Tighten the distance between sound board and surface, narrow the walls, narrow the pedestal, hole placement, what? That's the helpful part of this forum is people with expertise sharing that expertise for the betterment of the whole. At least that's what I enjoy about it.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 10:59:27 AM »
That takes away the pride we pray on
The maker has too work on not somebody sharing there secrets
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 11:05:07 AM »

Then at the very least describe specifically what you don't like about the sound so that he can monkey around with the call and try to improve it. "Too high on the front end." "Not enough roll over." "Not enough rasp." "Too much rasp." "Too quick on the roll over." "Back end falls off." All of those are things that he can take back to the shop. "Sounds bad" doesn't help him fix the call at all.

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »

In this case you are not the Call Maker, He should be the one seeking advise.

Most of us on here that are Turkey Hunters and not call makers, we give our opinion on the sound and not how to build one.

There are some great call builders that are great turkey hunters also in his area, He should spend some time getting information from one of them, go visit them and spend some time at the shop with them. Most call makers have spent a lot of time and energy to find the dimensions that work for them, and while they will help they may not necessarily give them all the dimensions of a particular call.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »

In this case you are not the Call Maker, He should be the one seeking advise.

Most of us on here that are Turkey Hunters and not call makers, we give our opinion on the sound and not how to build one.

There are some great call builders that are great turkey hunters also in his area, He should spend some time getting information from one of them, go visit them and spend some time at the shop with them. Most call makers have spent a lot of time and energy to find the dimensions that work for them, and while they will help they may not necessarily give them all the dimensions of a particular call.

He's literally asking for advice on the call. That's what the entire post is about, "Tell me what you think about this call?" And just like every other post he's made the only response he got was "sounds bad." How is that helpful? It's fine if you're not a call maker or if you are a call maker and you don't want to share the secrets it took you years to reach, but if you're going to criticize the sound why not be specific about what those criticisms are? Again, why not say, "Too high on the front end," "Not enough roll over," "Not enough rasp," whatever? Those are helpful in that he can take that criticism back to the shop.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »

Then at the very least describe specifically what you don't like about the sound so that he can monkey around with the call and try to improve it. "Too high on the front end." "Not enough roll over." "Not enough rasp." "Too much rasp." "Too quick on the roll over." "Back end falls off." All of those are things that he can take back to the shop. "Sounds bad" doesn't help him fix the call at all.

He didnt ask how to improve it. Him and you like it so obviously none needed. He asked what we think. When we gave our opinion , you seem to have gotten offended because our opinion is not the same as yours. There are many here , including myself , that play calls all year round. We are not stage callers but we like realism. I have over 200pot calls alone. When you have that many and play them all the time , then you know what a pot call should sound like. Also many of us are around turkeys throughout the year and we are hearing them all the time. There are alot of folks who turkey hunt and really do not even know what A hen sounds like. Its amazing. There are callmakers who have been building calls for years and have perfected that trade and then some who just glues things together and want to make a buck. Oh well. To each his own. Its a good thing that calling is only about 10% of the game is all I can say.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:45:56 AM by Spitten and drummen »
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 11:55:22 AM »

He didnt ask how to improve it. Him and you like it so obviously none needed. He asked what we think. When we gave our opinion , you seem to have gotten offended because our opinion is not the same as yours. There are many here , including myself , that play calls all year round. We are not stage callers but we like realism. I have over 200pot calls alone. When you have that many and play them all the time , then you know what a pot call should sound like. Also many of us are around turkeys throughout the year and we are hearing them all the time. There are alot of folks who turkey hunt and really do not even know what A hen sounds like. Its amazing. There are callmakers who have been building calls for years and have perfected that trade and then some who just glues things together and want to make a buck. Oh well. To each his own. Its a good thing that calling is only about 10% of the game is all I can say.

I could care less if you agree with me. That's not at all what this is about. And you may very well have an expert ear that I lack, which would be all the more reason to offer specific criticisms on sound. My point is that this forum is at its best when people encourage others and try to make each and every member better, whether that be getting a better pattern, deciding on a new choke, finding a good deal on a turkey vest, or improving calls. The only time this forum seems to perpetually implode is in discussions about the NWTF. Other than that it remains a pretty helpful place for people with a shared passion.

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 12:09:04 PM »

ChesterCopperpot,

You have made your point and so have a few others on here. We can all say what we think the call sounds like and that does nothing to help the call maker.

That pot call and the other ones he posted on you tube have absolutely no roll over in the yelps, no front end no back end to be honest it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard. JMO :morning:

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2020, 12:19:09 PM »

I could care less if you agree with me. That's not at all what this is about. And you may very well have an expert ear that I lack, which would be all the more reason to offer specific criticisms on sound. My point is that this forum is at its best when people encourage others and try to make each and every member better, whether that be getting a better pattern, deciding on a new choke, finding a good deal on a turkey vest, or improving calls. The only time this forum seems to perpetually implode is in discussions about the NWTF. Other than that it remains a pretty helpful place for people with a shared passion.

I get what you are saying. He did not ask info on how to improve the call. He asked “ what you think”? He thinks they sound good or he would not be selling them. If he asked “ How can I improve” then this thread would be going in a diffrent direction. Some of us have been around here a long time. We are like a family and we will sometimes fuss and argue but in the end its all good. Many of us eat breath and sleep turkey all year. Its our passion and we strive to get better. I have been hunting them 40 years. I am no expert caller nor do not think I have a expert year. I have been around turkeys most of my life. They make so many diffrent sounds that its crazy. There are some sounds that many turkey hunters have never even heard. There are calls out there that sound like a turkey and not like a turkey call. The sounds coming out of the pots that Rodney posted files of may not entirely be the call. It can be the way he plays them or it could be a combination. Will it kill a bird ? Probably on a given day. Will it kill a pressured 3 or 4 year old consistantly ? In my opinion I dont think so. Confidence in your particular calls go a long way. If you are not confident in it , then you wont use it. Again , calling is a small piece of the puzzle , but some of is seek the best calls we can put our hands on and we strive to be the best we can be at our sport just like a professional athelete. We push our selves to get better and we obtain the things that we believe will make us better and that includes calls. If you only have a couple of calls and you only hunt a few weekends out of the season , you may think those calls are great. Fine by me and good luck to you. If you come to a site with die hard turkey hunters , then be ready for the critisism.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 12:59:33 PM »

I get what you are saying. He did not ask info on how to improve the call. He asked “ what you think”? He thinks they sound good or he would not be selling them. If he asked “ How can I improve” then this thread would be going in a diffrent direction. Some of us have been around here a long time. We are like a family and we will sometimes fuss and argue but in the end its all good. Many of us eat breath and sleep turkey all year. Its our passion and we strive to get better. I have been hunting them 40 years. I am no expert caller nor do not think I have a expert year. I have been around turkeys most of my life. They make so many diffrent sounds that its crazy. There are some sounds that many turkey hunters have never even heard. There are calls out there that sound like a turkey and not like a turkey call. The sounds coming out of the pots that Rodney posted files of may not entirely be the call. It can be the way he plays them or it could be a combination. Will it kill a bird ? Probably on a given day. Will it kill a pressured 3 or 4 year old consistantly ? In my opinion I dont think so. Confidence in your particular calls go a long way. If you are not confident in it , then you wont use it. Again , calling is a small piece of the puzzle , but some of is seek the best calls we can put our hands on and we strive to be the best we can be at our sport just like a professional athelete. We push our selves to get better and we obtain the things that we believe will make us better and that includes calls. If you only have a couple of calls and you only hunt a few weekends out of the season , you may think those calls are great. Fine by me and good luck to you. If you come to a site with die hard turkey hunters , then be ready for the critisism.
Amen and right on point Spitten and drummen .. if a person on this post thinks those calls sounded good , then place your order for couple of them.

Offline rodney gillikin

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
OK , that enough of this soap pop, there is no need of any more commits. There enough going on in the world today  to worry about a turkey call . My apologies.  :thanks:
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »
OK , that enough of this soap pop, there is no need of any more commits. There enough going on in the world today  to worry about a turkey call . My apologies.  :thanks:

You got that right. Keep at it. Make your changes small. A little change can go a long way. I'm in the learning curve also but not with turning pot calls. I chose to work on some paddle calls first. Different viscosity glue, the amount of glue and finish you use and how much will change the sound.

Offline rodney gillikin

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
Ok Greg and Spitten and Drumming could you play one of your calls so i could hear what im missing??
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/