OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Aluminum Preference  (Read 2059 times)

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
Aluminum Preference
« on: July 04, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
Simple question, Black anodized or blasted ?

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Aluminum Preference
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »
I’ve only got a black anodized over slate but I really like it. I could see the benefits of blasting, though. I can’t imagine tone would change all that much, but the ability to play more of the surface may give you a little more variance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »
I've had both.  IMO blasted is so much easier to play.  The grip of the striker is so much better.  Darrin Dawkins makes a blasted in a plastic pot with a Heavy Dymondwood striker that has a Great sound.

Offline Buckrub

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »
 I've got blasted, black anodized and green anodized.  My personal favorite is the green with the blasted 2nd. The 4 green pots I have are all from different callmakers and they all play great !!!

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 07:17:04 PM »
Thanks, I am making some more if I can get the wood. They sold pretty quickly. Osage Orange black anodized over glass. Sound good and look really nice. Thank you for the input. Al Baker

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »
Thanks, I am making some more if I can get the wood. They sold pretty quickly. Osage Orange black anodized over glass. Sound good and look really nice. Thank you for the input. Al Baker
Al, can you post a pic or two of the ones that you made earlier?

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 10:57:40 PM »
I have black anodized, but it does feel a bit limiting—that said, I really like the “tree call” sounds you can make with it, especially if you play closer to the edge than usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 09:11:09 AM »
Find myself wondering how many types of aluminum calls are there anyway? Blasted, anodized, green, beaded , raw? I have an Enticer call by Al Holbert that I THINK is what`s known as " raw " aluminum (?). Do they all sound different?

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 09:42:51 AM »
 me I like the raw aluminum to me its a little more forgiving when running it ,, IMO  each type has its own sound   ,,, now I got a black  anodized with all the black scratched off use it in the fall that thing will kee like any thing I got
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 11:45:08 AM »
I have one from Jimmy Schaffer that's a blasted surface that's been black anodized and it really is a sweet call, but I haven't had experience with the other forms Aluminum can take.

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 02:32:09 PM »
 I only have a few black anodized and a few raw and I really prefer the raw aluminum.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 03:31:11 PM »
I personally prefer the stoned, as I find it is a good middle ground between annodized and raw or bead blasted, and is tonally and versitaly superior in my opinion.

-Bead blasted has too much grip in my opinion and doesn't allow the higher sounds that the slick annodized produce so well, as well as it doesn't kee great for me personally.

-Raw aluminum is great as far as playability and sound, on both tone and spectrum. I just hate having to continually be touching up the striker tips and playing spot of the call as I feel raw aluminum gums up real bad when out in the field.

-Annodized aluminum is "slick" on the play feel but allows for great high pitched talk that can't be replicated by many other calls, but at the same time is finicky in certain weather/humidity conditions sometimes rendering them useless. ("Green alum" is just a hardcoat annodized that often is even harder to  than the slick black to get right, but also seems to hold conditioning better when it is right)

For this I find stoned in the perfect middle ground, its not a perfectly consistent surface and has slick spots that kee and run that pitch closer to the annodized sound of the aluminum spectrum as well as they have spots that will run with as much grip as raw aluminum.

The added bonus of aluminum is you could always sand and scotch brite a spot of the pot back down to raw aluminum no matter the coating or blasting of surface and have a spot that will do what maybe the rest of the surface can't.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 06:46:50 PM »
I personally prefer the stoned, as I find it is a good middle ground between annodized and raw or bead blasted, and is tonally and versitaly superior in my opinion.

-Bead blasted has too much grip in my opinion and doesn't allow the higher sounds that the slick annodized produce so well, as well as it doesn't kee great for me personally.

-Raw aluminum is great as far as playability and sound, on both tone and spectrum. I just hate having to continually be touching up the striker tips and playing spot of the call as I feel raw aluminum gums up real bad when out in the field.

-Annodized aluminum is "slick" on the play feel but allows for great high pitched talk that can't be replicated by many other calls, but at the same time is finicky in certain weather/humidity conditions sometimes rendering them useless. ("Green alum" is just a hardcoat annodized that often is even harder to  than the slick black to get right, but also seems to hold conditioning better when it is right)

For this I find stoned in the perfect middle ground, its not a perfectly consistent surface and has slick spots that kee and run that pitch closer to the annodized sound of the aluminum spectrum as well as they have spots that will run with as much grip as raw aluminum.

The added bonus of aluminum is you could always sand and scotch brite a spot of the pot back down to raw aluminum no matter the coating or blasting of surface and have a spot that will do what maybe the rest of the surface can't.

Not saying it can`t happen mind, but I`ve not had my Enticer aluminum to " gum up " in the field. After conditioning , I do, however,  take pains to blow away any aluminum dust that might have formed. You do have to recondition striker tips, I think, with raw aluminum calls. Nothing a little piece of scothbrite can`t handle . I personally find them a bit easier to play consistently than my slates. I think somebody said " forgiving"?

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 08:47:04 PM »
I think the green grips the best out of all of them. I like the sound of all the aluminum’s. The black I always scratch it up so it is probably about the same as raw aluminum. I have a couple stoned or blasted aluminum I like as well.