turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF layoffs

Started by tracker vi, June 23, 2020, 10:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

Just read a post about this on Facebook. I stopped what I was doing and went to renew my NWTF membership.

It expired a couple months ago and it just slipped my mind. Luckily I was able to make a contribution today by renewing my membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShortSpurs

I'm 83 years old, been around turkey hunting since the 1960's, when it first became legal in this state. I watched and joined with many fine folks and entire families as they came to NWTF and were dedicated to the cause, for many years. When turkeys were spread out over more country, hunters flocked to NWTF by the hundreds. We couldn't do enough, fast enough for the organization/that's a personal thought! I quit the committee after a few years, giving others their chance to make it  even better. Now, some 60 years later, it's all gone away, sad to say.
Oh, there's still lotsa hunters, that call turkey-hunting the grandest sport, and they're right. We're all thankful for God's grandest creation, each time we enter the woods and sit by that favorite tree.
Come next spring, God willing, I'll be back, listening  for the master of the woods to call-out from his tree!
All the best to each and every dedicated hunter

eggshell

:thanks: shortspurs.

Because some gave all, many get much. Because of the hard work of Wildlife Agencies, volunteers and The NWTF we have a wonderful sport to argue over....what if the work had never been done?

Both my gratefulness and disappointment are rooted in the success story of the wild turkey. Grateful that it became the grand sport and disappointed that an organization that fought to get us here has gotten distracted by money 

silvestris

Quote from: eggshell on June 29, 2020, 12:55:53 PM
Grateful that it became the grand sport and disappointed that an organization that fought to get us here has gotten distracted by money

It didn't become the great sport because of the NWTF; it was a great sport before the NWTF, and would have remained a great sport but for the immense numbers of the new breed and their  tactics.  The credit belongs to the state wildlife agencies.  Period.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

idgobble

Quote from: silvestris on June 29, 2020, 03:42:43 PM
Quote from: eggshell on June 29, 2020, 12:55:53 PM
Grateful that it became the grand sport and disappointed that an organization that fought to get us here has gotten distracted by money

It didn't become the great sport because of the NWTF; it was a great sport before the NWTF, and would have remained a great sport but for the immense numbers of the new breed and their  tactics.  The credit belongs to the state wildlife agencies.  Period.

I sure don't agree with that. NWTF chapters gave us an opportunity to meet and learn from other hunters. The chapters gave us a way to organize our volunteer efforts to help transplant and establish flocks in new areas. The chapters gave us a way to have more input on turkey management in our states, especially recommending areas for new flocks to be established. We researched and recommended changes in turkey hunting regulations. We raised $ for projects to increase and enhance habitat with our volunteer help, etc. It would have been much harder to accomplish what we did in my state without chapters.

ChiefBubba

Depending on the government to do anything right you'll be wanting a good long time. Our current state of affairs is prove enough. Turkeys rebounded because someone in the private sector was overlooking them. Bubba