OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NWTF layoffs

Started by tracker vi, June 23, 2020, 10:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on June 25, 2020, 07:46:09 PM
Great, so everyone can list work they did on their own land as volunteering for wildlife. It seems like this thread is full of millennial folk that just sit back and say look at all i've done to help myself, the nwtf will not help me personally, screw them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree spurs with spurs, layoffs aren't good and unfortunately in this case it doesnt start at the top. Did I ever mention I owned the land? I do not. A timber company owns both chunks. I may never see the benefits of what I do but I hope hunters and especially wildlife down the line do. In reality what most people struggle with is telling themselves no and holding themselves back. Want to have more turkeys around? Don't use every legal advantage you can get to make sure you fill every tag you can and actually hunt them.Make sure and give as much or more than you take and spread out the areas you hunt. As far as being a millenial, well you know nothing about me but I can promise you that since I was raised by a single mother on minimum wage I wasn't given a leg up on anything. Keep going though, this amuses me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

I have said enough on NWTF (maybe...  ;D ).  I will end my thoughts by stating that I respect everybody here that has remained a member and I am glad you are "doing your part" to help wild turkeys,...even if I personally believe the organization needs to be to some degree "defunded" and with a corresponding message to get back to its roots.  Perhaps defunded is too harsh a word, but it at least needs to be "rebooted".  There has been too much pork in the barrel for too many years now. (When nearly 60% of NWTF revenue is directed at fundraising, that should give everybody a clue)

I will end by reiterating that everybody that has stayed loyal to NWTF should send them a clear message:  That is, "start spending more of my money on directly helping wild turkeys where it is needed"!

The END,....carry on....   :)

eggshell

good way to end it Gobblenut.

By the way I woke up at least 40 years younger, I'm now a millennial ;D, but man I don't feel like it. Actually I'm going to the hospital today for some test....the NWTF isn't exactly my priority today.

fallhnt

Nobody has touched on the layoffs. Are they feeling the pinch due to low membership numbers? Or are they falsely improving the bottom line?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

ChiefBubba

I'm sure you guys have seen or heard by now the email letter from the NWTF.
"Catastrophic loss of Revenue" I'm sure its a little dramatic. Maybe the NWTF will be another victim of Covid and fold. All you guys will get your wish. Bubba

Greg Massey

Quote from: ChiefBubba on June 26, 2020, 05:56:58 PM
I'm sure you guys have seen or heard by now the email letter from the NWTF.
"Catastrophic loss of Revenue" I'm sure its a little dramatic. Maybe the NWTF will be another victim of Covid and fold. All you guys will get your wish. Bubba
Regardless , we don't need to lose the NWTF.. they have my support ... my wife doesn't even hunt but she's member also..

shatcher

Ends up like so many organizations with good intent.  You get too many people wanting to ride the gravy train.

eggshell

Is this what your talking about:

The National Wild Turkey Federation has been a conservation leader and hunter advocate for nearly 50 years. During this time, we have never experienced the level of financial concern as we face today.

Due to COVID-19 and the resulting halt of our fundraising events this spring, the NWTF has experienced a near catastrophic loss of revenue that has forced us to cut operational expenses to ensure the sustainable financial health of the organization. As a result, we have laid off over 50 staff. The loss of these dedicated, passionate individuals is extremely difficult for the Flock. They are friends, colleagues, mentors and members, and we will miss them greatly and pray for them.

We are reaching out to our volunteer chapters, partners and supporters to discuss our plans moving forward, including how their areas will be staffed. We hope to have most of these details sorted out soon.

Fundraising events are ramping up again, and we are now safely holding banquets and other events with fewer than 250 people, following all local, state and national guidelines to protect our guests, members and staff. In addition, we will continue online fundraising efforts, including a new capital funding campaign, Call for All.

We still have a steep hill to climb to recover from the effects of the pandemic, and we have a major goal ahead of us to raise at least $5 million by the end of August. Together, we can get there, but we need the help of our members, donors, friends and partners like never before.

We sincerely hope you will join with us and answer the Call for All by renewing your membership, attending an event or online fundraiser or making a donation today.

Sincerely,

Becky Humphries
NWTF CEO

Most charities are seeing financial woes this year. Covid 19 has changed the face of the world on many fronts. Business and corporate donations are key to charities and they pull back giving when profits plummet. I am chairman and chief Financial Officer for a charity and we have also seen our financial support drop off. Sustaining donors have just disappeared with no explanation. You adjust your services and move on. At least we don't have any paid employees, so no one is loosing their lively hood. Actually some of our volunteers have more time to give. It is sad to see the NWTF struggle, but maybe this is the opportunity to set the ship back on course.

nitro

Bet Rob Keck could get the NWTF running properly - again.
Royal Slam 2008

ShootingABN!

This topic is hotter than Burning the woods in the nesting season......

ccleroy

I'd like to know exactly how they are hurting? Why the layoffs? 6 months of banquet inactivity and you're cutting people? Of all the money they have to pay top positions they didn't have a plan to sustain for @ 6 months? No sense to me

Boykin Hollow

info from charity navigator from 08-2018

Income Statement     (FYE 08/2018)
REVENUE    
Contributions    
   Contributions, Gifts & Grants    $18,726,240
   Federated Campaigns    $0
   Membership Dues    $12,530,423
   Fundraising Events    $0
   Related Organizations    $7,244,492
   Government Grants    $0
Total Contributions    $38,501,155
   Program Service Revenue    $0
Total Primary Revenue    $38,501,155
   Other Revenue    $1,588,785
TOTAL REVENUE    $40,089,940

EXPENSES    
   Program Expenses    $33,760,876
   Administrative Expenses    $4,770,515
   Fundraising Expenses    $1,269,809
TOTAL FUNCTIONAL EXPENSES    $39,801,200

Payments to Affiliates    $0
Excess (or Deficit) for the year    $288,740

Net Assets    $23,122,179
Back to Top ?
Financial Charts
Contributions Breakdown (FYE 08/2018)Contributions, Gifts &GrantsMembership DuesRelated Organizations48.6%18.8%
32.5%
Source   Dollars
Contributions, Gifts & Grants   $18,726,240
Membership Dues   $12,530,423
Related Organizations   $7,244,492
Expenses Breakdown (FYE 08/2018)ProgramAdministrativeFundraising12%
84.8%
Expense   Dollars
Program   $33,760,876
Administrative   $4,770,515
Fundraising   $1,269,809
Revenue/Expenses TrendProgram ExpensesPrimary Revenue
Year   Program Expenses   Primary Revenue
2015   $34,946,543   $39,297,534
2016   $35,642,253   $38,661,048
2017   $35,146,552   $35,431,289
2018   $33,760,876   $38,501,155
Back to Top ?
Compensation of Leaders      (FYE 08/2018)
Compensation    % of Expenses    Paid to    Title    
$379,902    0.95%    George Thornton    CEO    

VaTuRkStOmPeR

So the NWTF spent approximately 62k in the state of Virginia last year from its Super Fund for the purpose of reclaiming wildlife spaces on public lands.

If the NWTF had almost 33 million in program expenses in '18 and there are 49 states with huntable wild turkey populations the criticisms many of us have had for 15+ years are true: the money isn't going to the wild turkey.

For the purpose of comparison, let's use the '18 program expenses and apply them to '19 super fund distribution.  62k, which is a meager .0018%, went back to the wild turkey on different WMAs in Virginia in chunks of money between $3,000-12,000.  That kind of chump change doesn't go far towards increasing carrying capacities at the micro or macro level and we as hunters would be better off donating our money directly to state game agencies.

If you're one of these guys trying to tell me the NWTF is mission focused you can't do math and you've consumed too much of the Kool-Aid.

ChiefBubba

Like I said with any luck at all it'll fold and that'll be the end of it. Bubba

eggshell

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 28, 2020, 05:08:24 PM
So the NWTF spent approximately 62k in the state of Virginia last year from its Super Fund for the purpose of reclaiming wildlife spaces on public lands.

If the NWTF had almost 33 million in program expenses in '18 and there are 49 states with huntable wild turkey populations the criticisms many of us have had for 15+ years are true: the money isn't going to the wild turkey.

For the purpose of comparison, let's use the '18 program expenses and apply them to '19 super fund distribution.  62k, which is a meager .0018%, went back to the wild turkey on different WMAs in Virginia in chunks of money between $3,000-12,000.  That kind of chump change doesn't go far towards increasing carrying capacities at the micro or macro level and we as hunters would be better off donating our money directly to state game agencies.

If you're one of these guys trying to tell me the NWTF is mission focused you can't do math and you've consumed too much of the Kool-Aid.

:z-winnersmiley:  winner winner turkey dinner