OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NWTF layoffs  (Read 11343 times)

Offline Goodtimekiller

Re: NWTF layoffs
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »
I have been a member of the nwtf for as long as it has been around, i have not been on the committee quite as long.

One thing is for certain, i do not see any of the guys on here complaining about the nwtf doing anything to support the wild turkeys. If you are, give some examples, if not, you have no table to stand on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »
I have been a member of the nwtf for as long as it has been around, i have not been on the committee quite as long.
One thing is for certain, i do not see any of the guys on here complaining about the nwtf doing anything to support the wild turkeys. If you are, give some examples, if not, you have no table to stand on.

Really?  You have been a member of NWTF since 1973 when the organization was formed?  If you are and have been, I will have to admit that you are the first long-time member of NWTF that has witnessed the changes that have taken place in the organization that is not dissatisfied with the direction things have gone over the last twenty or so years. 

From first hand experience, I Know exactly what the NWTF did for wild turkeys "way back when" and I will defend the "old" NWTF to my grave.  And yes, I do complain about the "new" NWTF because I do not see the same emphasis on maintaining (and expanding) healthy wild turkey populations that used to exist.  What I see is an organization focusing on programs and activities that are solely designed to extract as much money as they can from as many people as they can to "Feed the Machine",...and doing so with minimal and "token" interest in helping the resource.

Now, let's reverse your question.  YOU tell those of us that are no longer supportive of the NWTF some examples of what the organization has done where you are that have actually had factual, concrete, positive impact on wild turkey populations overall. 

Again, I am not trying to be combative in this discussion.   Just telling it like it is for a lot of us.  Quite honestly, I wish I could still support and be a part of the organization, but there would have to be some serious "changes in attitude" within the NWTF for that to happen.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 04:58:52 PM »
I agree it's not the same organization as it was in the 80's and early 90's but you have to realize most of these guys who got chapters started and helped fund raise for the NWTF are either to old now or dead. Hunting in the old day's is nothing like today's hunters. Hunting in the old day was a means of putting food on the table. Now it's become a lot more recreational. I still support them, because i still feel they promote hunting. I don't see 35 dollars year is going to kill me ... just my opinion.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 06:01:07 PM »
I agree it's not the same organization as it was in the 80's and early 90's but you have to realize most of these guys who got chapters started and helped fund raise for the NWTF are either to old now or dead. Hunting in the old day's is nothing like today's hunters. Hunting in the old day was a means of putting food on the table. Now it's become a lot more recreational. I still support them, because i still feel they promote hunting. I don't see 35 dollars year is going to kill me ... just my opinion.

I think the point is that when those people started chapters and raised money they saw a direct impact for how that money was spent. They saw it go into things like food plots for instance. Then there came a moment when those local dollars were not only not being used locally but not being used in any identifiable manner at all. At least that's what I've heard from everyone who was involved that I know personally and what I gather from what GobbleNut is saying above. The fact that I've heard the same story over and over for years and years from everyone from folks out west to folks here in the North Carolina mountains where I live tells me there's probably a whole lot of truth in it.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 06:37:21 PM »
For some time it was a question of what to do when their primary mission had been largely accomplished.  The wild turkey was largely restored and the NWTF wandered off into recruiting g women and youth along with Wheeling Sportsman. 
All good causes I suppose, but not necessarily turkey related.  Now they are needed to take the lead in researching and coordinating research into the wild turkey decline we are seeing and they seem to have warped into a fundraising money pit with little left to put toward their primary mission, the wild turkey.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 07:58:38 PM »
By the year 2000 they wanted all available turkey habitat stocked. They with state wildlife agency did that. Now it's Save the Habitat Save the Hunt. What's wrong with that?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Goodtimekiller

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 08:17:58 PM »

Really?  You have been a member of NWTF since 1973 when the organization was formed?  If you are and have been, I will have to admit that you are the first long-time member of NWTF that has witnessed the changes that have taken place in the organization that is not dissatisfied with the direction things have gone over the last twenty or so years. 

From first hand experience, I Know exactly what the NWTF did for wild turkeys "way back when" and I will defend the "old" NWTF to my grave.  And yes, I do complain about the "new" NWTF because I do not see the same emphasis on maintaining (and expanding) healthy wild turkey populations that used to exist.  What I see is an organization focusing on programs and activities that are solely designed to extract as much money as they can from as many people as they can to "Feed the Machine",...and doing so with minimal and "token" interest in helping the resource.

Now, let's reverse your question.  YOU tell those of us that are no longer supportive of the NWTF some examples of what the organization has done where you are that have actually had factual, concrete, positive impact on wild turkey populations overall. 

Again, I am not trying to be combative in this discussion.   Just telling it like it is for a lot of us.  Quite honestly, I wish I could still support and be a part of the organization, but there would have to be some serious "changes in attitude" within the NWTF for that to happen.
Since it was started in my area. We raise money to put stands up for disabled hinters on public land, we sponsor youth hunts, youth fishing days, youth camps, scholarships, have made access to unaccessible public land.

If you think the organization should be the same now as then, you are ignorant, because the wild turkey issues are not the same as then. The nwtf is sponsoring several wild turkey studies across the southeast and working with state agencies. Areas that needed help in the past do not need help now.

But you still haven’t told me how to join your new organization that will be so much better than the nwtf.

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
Hunted spring turkeys on a chunk of WIHA? That was started and partially funded by KS NWTF. They donated $50k this year to the DoD, state, and several prescribed burn associations to help them get more fire on the ground and beat undesirable woody species out of the grasslands. Donated another $27k to help state areas and agencies obtain equipment to help maintain the area. ALso did alot of outreach and donation to the shooting sports.

I don't agree with thier stance that we need to recruit more turkey hunters. This state seems to be crawling with them already.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 07:57:00 AM »
I am in the old guard that has left the NWTF. I first joined in 74 or 75 and I will say some of my connections I made in those early years led me to a 31 year career with the Division of wildlife. I worked for Forestry in 73,74 & 75 then in a private outdoor supply company from 75-79. In 79 I started with the Wildlife Division. So I saw the NWTF from both sides and they were into anything turkey. Then in the late 80s I started seeing a progression towards fund raising. We went from one or two paid NWTF people in our state to 4, then even more and their primary function was hold banquets and raise money. In the mean time wildlife employees were trapping and transplanting turkeys every where that would hold them. I been on many trap sites and never saw a NWTF staff person (local volunteers yes)., but when the turkeys were released there would be at least one maybe 4-5 all wanting their picture taken releasing a turkey. So they get their pictures then the employees would go release the rest of the birds, while the big wigs went to eat at a restaurant. Previous to the 2000s they provided funds for a lot of land, but I don't hear a lot about that now. The biggest thing they done was provide transport boxes for moving birds. I had my gut full when a local paper company offered to sell the Division 600+ acres for a bargain price and the state asked the NWTF for funding and they said no. Then turned around and bought old coal strip mine land (grass) close to a more popular city area. We went from one banquet in an area to one or two within 30 mile every year. My mailbox had "give me money" mail every week. It got old fast, when I couldn't look and see anything they were doing in my area. I had a buddy actually got a job directing banquets and he made more than I did working for an actual wildlife agency. I ran a check station for 30 years and in the 80s we had NWTF volunteers around all the time, after the 90s none. I honestly can't tell you what they do today

Here is my bottom line. Perception is reality to most people and the current perception is the NWTF is "money grubbing". Everyone can see the begging and the big salaries are public information. Most of those who left can't see that their money is being spent wisely. I have run a non profit for several years and I learned one basic rule....don't piss off your donors! Their money is a gift and they can keep it as easily as give it. If they don't believe your managing it wisely you ain't getting it. It may or may not be true, but you better be telling them what your doing and they better be able to see it. This "just give me your money and trust me" attitude won't fly for long, especially if they can find one example of mismanagement. Serve your donors or die.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:31:47 AM by eggshell »

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »
By the year 2000 they wanted all available turkey habitat stocked. They with state wildlife agency did that. Now it's Save the Habitat Save the Hunt. What's wrong with that?

First of all, I am certain that the NWTF is accomplishing some good in areas of the country, and the folks that volunteer their time and money to the organization for those noble purposes should be applauded.  It is my personal belief in having seen the changes that have occurred over the decades that a significant number of the "working class" volunteers in NWTF would throw a "screaming memee" and revolt if they knew where their hard-earned and donated dollars are being spent nowadays.

Regarding your first statement, "stocking" wild turkeys is one thing.  That does not mean "the job is done".  Stocking is the easy part.  Doing what it takes to make sure those introduced turkey populations remain stable and healthy is quite another.  I personally just do not see the effort being made to address the issues occurring in significant areas of population decline.  Perhaps those efforts are being made,...if so, somebody tell us about them!

As for "Save the Habitat, Save the Hunt", in my opinion that is just a clever slogan someone in NWTF made up to attract more people and more dollars.  Again, wherever you are, someone tell us what significant effort to "save habitat" is being undertaken? 

...And "Save the Hunt"?  Again, just a slogan and nothing more!   Yeah, let's "save the hunt" by introducing more folks to an already-strained activity with declining opportunity in terms of places to hunt and declining turkey numbers in lots of places.  If NWTF wants to "Save the Hunt", first make sure you are doing all you can to make sure that the resource you are hunting is healthy!  If that is happening, it is sure not apparent,...or well-advertised. 

Here's the deal.  If you support NWTF, good for you.  But do this:  Each state has a pot of money known as the "Superfund".  The state/local chapters can use that money for whatever it wants within the boundaries of what is allowed for a non-profit entity.  Contact your state/local chapter leadership and ask them to give you a report on how your Superfund dollars are being spent.  I will bet certain parts of my anatomy that you will be less-than-delighted with where a significant number of your donated dollars are being spent and who is benefitting from it.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
Ouch... Thanks for the perspective from days ago. Don't we all miss the 80's?

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Offline Goodtimekiller

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 12:43:16 PM »
I am in the old guard that has left the NWTF. I first joined in 74 or 75 and I will say some of my connections I made in those early years led me to a 31 year career with the Division of wildlife. I worked for Forestry in 73,74 & 75 then in a private outdoor supply company from 75-79. In 79 I started with the Wildlife Division. So I saw the NWTF from both sides and they were into anything turkey. Then in the late 80s I started seeing a progression towards fund raising. We went from one or two paid NWTF people in our state to 4, then even more and their primary function was hold banquets and raise money. In the mean time wildlife employees were trapping and transplanting turkeys every where that would hold them. I been on many trap sites and never saw a NWTF staff person (local volunteers yes)., but when the turkeys were released there would be at least one maybe 4-5 all wanting their picture taken releasing a turkey. So they get their pictures then the employees would go release the rest of the birds, while the big wigs went to eat at a restaurant. Previous to the 2000s they provided funds for a lot of land, but I don't hear a lot about that now. The biggest thing they done was provide transport boxes for moving birds. I had my gut full when a local paper company offered to sell the Division 600+ acres for a bargain price and the state asked the NWTF for funding and they said no. Then turned around and bought old coal strip mine land (grass) close to a more popular city area. We went from one banquet in an area to one or two within 30 mile every year. My mailbox had "give me money" mail every week. It got old fast, when I couldn't look and see anything they were doing in my area. I had a buddy actually got a job directing banquets and he made more than I did working for an actual wildlife agency. I ran a check station for 30 years and in the 80s we had NWTF volunteers around all the time, after the 90s none. I honestly can't tell you what they do today

Here is my bottom line. Perception is reality to most people and the current perception is the NWTF is "money grubbing". Everyone can see the begging and the big salaries are public information. Most of those who left can't see that their money is being spent wisely. I have run a non profit for several years and I learned one basic rule....don't piss off your donors! Their money is a gift and they can keep it as easily as give it. If they don't believe your managing it wisely you ain't getting it. It may or may not be true, but you better be telling them what your doing and they better be able to see it. This "just give me your money and trust me" attitude won't fly for long, especially if they can find one example of mismanagement. Serve your donors or die.
Well they must be doing a pretty good job because they are still raising tons of dollars and getting most donations matched. People dont realize that to grow a business takes people and money, as successful as nwtf has been and has many people as it takes to run, there have to be paid people. Look at the non profits people criticize then look at the ones people promote on here. Delta waterfowl, rmef, quail forever, all of these have failed in my area. Are/were they good organizations, yes i believe so, but as a business grows the ability of the leaders has to grow too.

Seems like most people on this thread just want to sit back and complain. I can tell you the nwtf has tons of volunteers that spend tons of donations on helping turkeys, conservation, and hunting in general.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »
I was a member for a long time and let my membership lapse during the Rob Keck debacle.  I rejoined in 2012 to help get a local chapter going again, this was near the beginning of the "Save The Habitat, Save The Hunt" campaign.  I saw first hand that the driving force was banquets and how many tickets could you sell to put $ in the superfund.  I saw a large amount of $ raised locally be redirected to a fund you then had to request funds from for local projects, didn't make much sense to me.  We also had WAY to many chapters in proximity of each other so you had too much overlap.  The NWTF has done alot of good but I would rather support a local rod and gun club that's doing work to benefit the area I live in, seeing the work firsthand is what matters to donors. 

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 03:05:46 PM »
No one argues that they need paid people and lots of them. I understand this, but when I look at their list of programs I find they list work done from 1985 for my home state of Ohio. As I review the list I see most of the projects as one I recognize from when I worked for Ohio's Wildlife Agency. I have been retired over 15 years and I only noticed a few projects I wasn't familiar with.

Below I listed a breakdown from their annual 2019 report. I notice 66.77% of expenses are for administration, operations and fundraising.....this is most people's rub. So call me a complainer, but that is not going to make me want to join or donate. I do think they are trying to right the ship. At least a NWTF forester showed up and proposed doing an evasive plant removal on the family property last year, and then showed up and done the work. Back in the 80s we had a whole management plan that the NWTF helped with on 1200 acres. That disappeared in the 90s. That is why I complain, because I saw work disappear and the request for donations increase.

from The NWTF annual report.

The NWTF had another amazing year delivering its mission and fulfilling the goals of our Save the Habitat.  Save the Hunt. initiative. Programmatic efficiency was an impressive 90%, which is reflective of the efforts  of our tremendous volunteers, members, partners and staff.    We ended fiscal year 2019 with an operating deficit of $1.3 million. However, our balance sheet remained strong, as we were able to increase the liquidity of our assets and reduce our liabilities. In addition, we were able to secure and carry over more than $1 million in restricted major gifts that will be available to fulfill mission delivery in fiscal year 2020 and beyond.  In fiscal year 2020, our plan is to trim expenses as well as increase efficiencies and net revenue.  This strategic plan allows the NWTF to evolve and build an organization for the future.
FINANCIAL  REPORT

2019 Revenue
Advertising ..............................................1.81%
Contributions  ...........................................2.44%
Membership Dues  .................................24.22%
Federal Grants & Contracts  ................... 4.85%
Program Services .................................. 66.68%

2019 Expenses
Education .................................................5.32%
Membership Activities  ............................ 5.84%
Administration  .........................................9.75%
Conservation Activities  ........................ 22.08%
Program Services & Fundraising ..........5 7. 0 2 %

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:18:13 PM by eggshell »

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »

I plant mast trees as well as a few other small things here and there. I would rather put my time and money directly where I want to that let someone else decide what is "best". Always beware of the rich jackwagon asking you to donate time and money to any cause when they aren't willing to do the same. Their main "cause" is obvious to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club