OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ed Terefenco suggestions??

Started by Happy hooker, June 23, 2020, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 24, 2020, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: Happy hooker on June 24, 2020, 05:50:13 PM
Is ironwod  the same has ipe

I am not sure. His is desert ironwood and I believe Ipe is totally diferent.

Ironwood is also known as hop horn beam, same as used by Marlin and TJ a lot, among others. Ipe is not the same.

Loyalist84

Even more complicated than that - hophornbeam is a species from eastern North America that locals call Ironwood, but Desert Ironwood (what most real Ironwood is cut from) is native to Arizona, California and Mexico.

vt35mag

Ironwood, Ipe, and Hophorn Beam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

etboxcalls

Just to clarify, what I'm using is NOT hophorn beam like Marlin and TJ use.  Hophorn beam is also known as American Ironwood, and is typically lighter in color.  I've been using Suriname ironwood which is much darker, even darker than the above pic (which may be the same stuff), and has some dark streaking in it.  Like all ironwood, its heavy and dense and has the same sound quality as hophorn beam.  I've used hophorn beam in the past but its tough to come by.  As far as hophorn beam goes, there is a local callmaker around here named Ernie Moyer thats been using that on his calls for upwards of 15-20 so its not a new wood for box calls by any means, just not seen much because its tough to find.  He used to sell them in local sporting goods stores when they were around but havent seen them in a while.  Great sounding calls, especially for sawn and glued one siders.  Ipe is totally different wood, its heavy and fairly dense but the grain of Ipe is completely different than that of ironwood.  I've found Ironwood to be very similar in hardness and density to snakewood, without the figure of course. 

243kid