OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pistol grip VS traditional

Started by Swim-Bait, June 22, 2020, 11:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swim-Bait

I've never owned a pistol gripped shotgun, but I'm considering one. I have heard the advantages. Those who have hunted with both, what are your thoughts?  Thank you

AppalachianHollers

I suppose a pistol grip is less advantageous if one means to hunt other game besides turkeys with it. But for a "turkey gun" it's hard to imagine a reason to consciously reject having one, all else being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

X2, for a dedicated turkey gun the pistol grip is great. Many reasons. Easy to hold one handed on knee while calling. Also your hand comfortably takes most of the recoil from the heavy turkey loads. Over all for turkey, I love the pistol grip... be safe
"Solo hunter"

Fullfan

Hunted for 30 years with a regular stock shotgun, when I retired I bought a 11-87 sure shot super mag and liked it. 8 years ago along came tss and my first pistol grip shot gun a Sa459. Now I own 3 20ga's all with a pistol grip. I love them, makes it easier for me to hold when waiting on a gobbler.
Don't gobble at me...

Sir-diealot

Not on a shotgun but I have one on my inline muzzle loader and it is the most comfortable gun I own to shoot and I feel like I have more control and am steadier with the thumb hole stock.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 23, 2020, 10:19:00 AM
Not on a shotgun but I have one on my inline muzzle loader and it is the most comfortable gun I own to shoot and I feel like I have more control and am steadier with the thumb hole stock.
I wish thumbhole stocks were still as popular as they were in 2006. Disadvantage for left-handed shooters over a tactical pistol grip, but otherwise so comfortable. My dad had a 7mm Rem Mag Browning A-Bolt with such a stock, and it really kills any fear of recoil even on a harder-kicking cartridge.

Turkeytider

My `05 870 Super Mag turkey gun has a thumbhole stock, which creates a pistol grip of sorts. For a dedicated turkey gun, I think that there are some real advantages. It`s more like shooting a rifle than a shotgun, anyway.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on June 23, 2020, 10:21:51 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 23, 2020, 10:19:00 AM
I wish thumbhole stocks were still as popular as they were in 2006. Disadvantage for left-handed shooters over a tactical pistol grip, but otherwise so comfortable. My dad had a 7mm Rem Mag Browning A-Bolt with such a stock, and it really kills any fear of recoil even on a harder-kicking cartridge.

I have a good friend who has been through a lot with cancer and it was getting hard for him to hunt deer with a rifle or shotgun, I got with a guy at the local gunshop and he allowed me to make payments on a Savage Striker bolt action handgun in .308 with a thumbhole stock. I will never forget conning my friend to going to the gun shop with me when I had it all payed off (I also had a nice Nikon handgun scope added to it) My friend walked in to the store and started to look around and saw the gun in the case and pointed it out. I asked the owner if he could hold it and of course he said yes and handed it to him, my friend was checking it all out and I asked him how the scope was to which he replied he really liked it. I looked at him and told him it was his and I thought he was going to fall over. That year on opening day he dropped 3 deer inside a minute with that gun. I will always smile when I think of thumbhole stocks just because of that gun.

Edit: Picture just because many people have never heard of that gun. Not my friends, same color setup though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

N2TRKYS

I've never found an advantage of a pistol grip stock on shotgun.   I'll keep rocking my regular stock. 
83% of all statistics are made up.

paboxcall

Quote from: N2TRKYS on June 24, 2020, 02:07:20 PM
I've never found an advantage of a pistol grip stock on shotgun.   I'll keep rocking my regular stock. 

I totally see the advantage. And I put an aftermarket pistol grip on my Mossberg 500 20 gauge when I first bought it for all the reasons listed here. Even found one here on OG which matched the Mossy Oak new Breakup camo on the gun.

Took it off 5 minutes later. I just didn't like the way it handled. Went back to the traditional stock. I wanted to like it, but couldn't get there. You just have to handle one yourself to decide.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

N2TRKYS

Quote from: paboxcall on June 24, 2020, 02:16:14 PM
Quote from: N2TRKYS on June 24, 2020, 02:07:20 PM

I totally see the advantage. And I put an aftermarket pistol grip on my Mossberg 500 20 gauge when I first bought it for all the reasons listed here. Even found one here on OG which matched the Mossy Oak new Breakup camo on the gun.

Took it off 5 minutes later. I just didn't like the way it handled. Went back to the traditional stock. I wanted to like it, but couldn't get there. You just have to handle one yourself to decide.

Yeah, I didn't like how uncomfortable it was when I setup or while toting it.  A lot of folks like them.  They just ain't for me. 
83% of all statistics are made up.

tnanh

I have owned two 870s with a sure shot stock. I agree with all the positives. My main complaint is they are extremely noisy when carrying on a sling. Everything they touch is amplified especially buckles on turkey vests.

Swim-Bait

As always, I appreciate all the replies guys. Kinda leaning towards the pistol grip. Wish Mossberg offered the 935 pistol grip in Mossy Oak Bottom Land. LOL

Greg Massey

Pistol grip stock always ... lot better control and it gets your thumb out of the way ....lot more comfortable .. if you want the gun for something else , like dove , duck or whatever just buy you another gun.. I have my dedicated turkey guns and my wing shooting guns ..

Spurs Up

Great except with guns having tang safeties. Pistol grips and tang safeties aren't your best combo unless you have a freakishly long thumb and with that an extra joint. If you're like most of us, you'll have to use extra motion to shift the safety on/off.