OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fishing black light

Started by Sir-diealot, June 22, 2020, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I was wondering if anyone has used a light like this for fishing from shore and how you felt about them? I tend to have a problem with using a standard Colman Lantern where they really hurt my eyes to use them close enough to actually see the end of my rod, so I was thinking hard on getting one of these and got the florescent clear/blue line that is supposed to glow with a black light and make it easier to see strikes as well. I am not married to either of these lights but would like to get whatever I end up getting from either Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's as I have gift cards I can use with them. Thanks for any help given.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/quarrow-rechargeable-96-led-fishing-light

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-night-stalker-rechargeable-led-fishing-light

This one makes me nervous  as the lights are exposed but it is another option. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/table-rock-black-lights-nite-bite-2-black-light
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

West Augusta

I used an old flourescent tube black light back when I fished night tournaments.  They make 8 pound test look like 1/4" rope.  You can see the slightest bite. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: West Augusta on June 22, 2020, 09:11:47 PM
I used an old flourescent tube black light back when I fished night tournaments.  They make 8 pound test look like 1/4" rope.  You can see the slightest bite.
Thanks for the reply.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Happy hooker

are you lure fishing 'casting' or bait fishing?? if bait fishing cant you just set the clicker on your reel to hear the strike.
we night fish for muskys and that's casting and the best thing you use is a rechargeable headlight that you can move in any direction while your hands are on the rod reel.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy hooker on June 22, 2020, 11:03:06 PM
are you lure fishing 'casting' or bait fishing?? if bait fishing cant you just set the clicker on your reel to hear the strike.
we night fish for muskys and that's casting and the best thing you use is a rechargeable headlight that you can move in any direction while your hands are on the rod reel.
Mostly using worms though I like to use spinners as well. What's a clicker?

Headlight would still be white so would still hurt my eyes, I have a lot of problems driving at night because I have a problem with night blindness.

John Koenig:

Happy hooker

Clicker is on a casting reel it's a small switch or knob on left side that makes a click sound has line is taken out-or fish takes the bait.
Also some guys put different color foil plastic over their headlights to get the right light, they want.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy hooker on June 23, 2020, 01:56:19 PM
Clicker is on a casting reel it's a small switch or knob on left side that makes a click sound has line is taken out-or fish takes the bait.
Also some guys put different color foil plastic over their headlights to get the right light, they want.
Oh okay, I use spinning reels, that would be why I did not know. To be honest I never had luck using those bait casting reels, always bound up on me when I tried to cast and whacked me in the head with the sinker. I was pretty young the last time I used one though.

John Koenig:

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 23, 2020, 04:28:59 PM
Oh okay, I use spinning reels, that would be why I did not know. To be honest I never had luck using those bait casting reels, always bound up on me when I tried to cast and whacked me in the head with the sinker. I was pretty young the last time I used one though.
I've had issues as well. But, I broke down and bought one (Lews Carbon Fire) to put on a casting rod the girls got me for Father's Day. First cast, horrible mess. Some attention to the spool control and Mag brakes and it's doing just fine now. Gotta work on getting a touch more distance but I think it's gonna be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vt35mag

If you are needing the light just to detect bites, look at the Okuma Baitfeeder spinning reels. They have an audible and tension adjustable "clicker" lever on the back of the reel, that is disengaged as soon as you start to turn the handle. Works really slick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jgard

Have used a black light with plastic warms for a very long time. Really does make your line jump with the slightest bite. Also can really see the line coming back toward the boat or sideways even when you don't feel the strike. Love to use them on dark clover

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on June 23, 2020, 05:52:58 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 23, 2020, 04:28:59 PM
I've had issues as well. But, I broke down and bought one (Lews Carbon Fire) to put on a casting rod the girls got me for Father's Day. First cast, horrible mess. Some attention to the spool control and Mag brakes and it's doing just fine now. Gotta work on getting a touch more distance but I think it's gonna be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always nice to get outdoor gifts.

Quote from: vt35mag on June 23, 2020, 06:48:42 PM
If you are needing the light just to detect bites, look at the Okuma Baitfeeder spinning reels. They have an audible and tension adjustable "clicker" lever on the back of the reel, that is disengaged as soon as you start to turn the handle. Works really slick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion. No I have problems with night driving because of headlights and glare and also have problems when the Colman light is moved to far forward, it not only messes with how I see but it physically hurts my eyes. Problem I end up with is I can never get the light to where I can see the end of my pole and not have the white light hurt my eyes. SO the light would be doing double duty, making sure I do not trip over stuff and making sure I could see the end of my rod. I have tried those clip on lights on the end of the pole, they really fly through the air when you cast. :(

Quote from: jgard on June 23, 2020, 07:00:09 PM
Have used a black light with plastic warms for a very long time. Really does make your line jump with the slightest bite. Also can really see the line coming back toward the boat or sideways even when you don't feel the strike. Love to use them on dark clover
Have you by chance used any of the ones I posted? If not could you make a suggestion?

John Koenig:

jgard

No sir. Only have used an old one I bought A  long time ago. Single long bulb that attaches directly to a battery. But unless I am fishing boat dock lights love the black light

Sir-diealot

Quote from: jgard on June 23, 2020, 10:01:47 PM
No sir. Only have used an old one I bought A  long time ago. Single long bulb that attaches directly to a battery. But unless I am fishing boat dock lights love the black light
Okay, thank you for the reply.

John Koenig:

Chris O

I have the older version of the night stalker. Mine has white and red lights also. Stren clear blue fluorescent shows up pretty well several feet from the light. When you get out there farther I don't see the line well with mine but for catfish at night that's all you need. Fishing with lures at night would be pretty much feel for me , but light may help some. I have never used my light for more than 2 or 3 hours so I don't know how long it will run on a charge.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Chris O on July 05, 2020, 09:27:53 PM
I have the older version of the night stalker. Mine has white and red lights also. Stren clear blue fluorescent shows up pretty well several feet from the light. When you get out there farther I don't see the line well with mine but for catfish at night that's all you need. Fishing with lures at night would be pretty much feel for me , but light may help some. I have never used my light for more than 2 or 3 hours so I don't know how long it will run on a charge.
I remember the original version, I was going to get it but talked myself out of it. I only need to see a few feet, I carry a green flashlight if I have to walk anywhere beyond that while fishing, that or use a green light that clips to the bill of my hat. Thanks for the reply.

John Koenig: