OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Most common overlooked mistakes  (Read 6825 times)

Offline buckmark13

Re: Most common overlooked mistakes
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
Calling too much!

Offline AndyN

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »
Commonly overlooked mistake? Marrying a woman that complains you hunt too much. Put em through at least 4 springs before putting a ring on it.

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2020, 07:53:26 PM »
Turn off your cellphone.. A buddy of mine bought some land full of turkeys, so I took him one morning. He had never hunted turkey before. Birds were gobbling everywhere and then his wife called to tell him good luck.. well, you can guess the rest of the story, not another peep. Luckily he owned the land, and we had success on a later date.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2020, 11:39:28 PM »
Turn off your cellphone.. A buddy of mine bought some land full of turkeys, so I took him one morning. He had never hunted turkey before. Birds were gobbling everywhere and then his wife called to tell him good luck.. well, you can guess the rest of the story, not another peep. Luckily he owned the land, and we had success on a later date.
. Forgot to put mine on silent one morning this spring and got a danged Amber Alert while trying to close in on a gobbling Tom.  :funnyturkey:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2020, 11:35:58 AM »
bad set up..
This was my first thought, the second a bird gobbles people often sit down and try and force to bird to come to them right there. No thought where he's going, what's in between them, what your view is from current location what his view will be as he approaches.

I also don't want to encourage people to bump a lot of birds but I see so many people who are afraid to move on turkeys or even push in close. You can hear them a long way especially early season and so many folks are content on if you can hear each other its time to set up. If you primary sit back 3-400yds it's going to be a lot harder to consistently kill birds because so much can happen as you try and drag them that kind of distance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2020, 04:55:25 PM »
A lot of hunters are afraid of the turkeys.   Not physically, but mentally.   Afraid to move, call, walk away etc.   They tilt the odds in the turkeys favor as soon as they step out of the truck by thinking they’re probably not going to kill one today.

I agree 100%. I have taught myself to think on the positive side and consider I'm getting a chance to kill every bird I set up on. I've even heard a  bird open up and literally said out loud, "old boy you just set yourself up to have a very bad day, shoulda kept your mouth shut". Of course that works out to be true some and wishful thinking some. If you ever hunt with me you may think I'm nuts, but you'll never make the mistake of thinking I'm afraid to move, call or take bold chances on a bird.