OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for a longbox maker  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
Re: Looking for a longbox maker
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 06:00:29 PM »
The sound comes from the lid. I was talking with Ralph Snoodgrass today and that’s exactly what he told me.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2020, 06:11:24 PM »
The sound comes from the lid. I was talking with Ralph Snoodgrass today and that’s exactly what he told me.

True - the lid carries the water. But you take a dense, heavy wood for the box, like persimmon, compared to a light wood like cedar, with the same lid attached to each, and a different result. So while the lid drives the bus, the box wood dictates the bus being driven.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2020, 06:14:40 PM »
Regarding persimmon for a box...I've been toting a Snodgrass persimmon longbox with a maple lid for about twenty years.
Can't even begin to fathom the number of birds that gobbled to this box over the years.

Yeah, John Boy.................

Some day that caller is gonna be sitting on the dash of your truck and you ain't gonna be looking.............      :thanks:

:toothy12:  :toothy12:   :toothy12:

When in this zip code, you're being watched...but if you did manage to lift it, I know it's going to a good home!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 08:28:50 PM »
Regarding persimmon for a box...I've been toting a Snodgrass persimmon longbox with a maple lid for about twenty years.
Can't even begin to fathom the number of birds that gobbled to this box over the years.

Yeah, John Boy.................

Some day that caller is gonna be sitting on the dash of your truck and you ain't gonna be looking.............      :thanks:

:toothy12:  :toothy12:   :toothy12:

When in this zip code, you're being watched...but if you did manage to lift it, I know it's going to a good home!
He leaves it on the dash of a hot truck it deserves a better home. :P Drove my GF nuts because I was always bring gear in stores and stuff with me so it did not have to sit in a hot truck, I sounded like Sanford and Son's junk truck at times. By the way do your women get mad at your when you practice your diaphragm call walking through Wal-Mart or other department/grocery stores? Mine sure does, turns and walks the other way.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:02:17 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
I don't practice mine in the store but I do when I am driving in the car with her or around the house. I get the evil eye regularly. When I am driving I like pulling up beside people with their and my windows down and run one. You get some crazy looks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 09:01:53 PM »
I don't practice mine in the store but I do when I am driving in the car with her or around the house. I get the evil eye regularly. When I am driving I like pulling up beside people with their and my windows down and run one. You get some crazy looks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Yes I do that too. Of course I used to pull up to people and say "Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?" so I am not normal anyway.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline MattM

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 02:30:33 PM »
Talk to Steve Mann

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
However I've been told applewood doesn't make a good longbox,

Don't hold me to it, but I believe Marlin told me that.

NeverRoosting

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »

He use to also say that a walnut lid wouldn't work with his design but I believe TJ was the first to make it work, either way, never say never, I bet if both of them played with it long enough they'd figure it out.

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2020, 04:06:17 PM »

He use to also say that a walnut lid wouldn't work with his design but I believe TJ was the first to make it work, either way, never say never, I bet if both of them played with it long enough they'd figure it out.
You are right there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 07:25:35 PM »
Thanks for the information guys.

John Koenig: