OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for a longbox maker

Started by Sir-diealot, June 20, 2020, 12:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I am looking for a maker that has about a 1 year wait time (Going to OK in Spring and need finances to recover for a bit before I can buy) and I do not know why but I have Apple wood and Persimmon stuck in my craw for some reason. Does anybody know anybody that does a top notch job with these woods for 400 or under and has a waiting list that long or a tad longer? Really looking to get one in Aug. of next year and that is why I do not mind being on a list. Thank you for any help given. Any comments on the wood choices I am interested in would be appreciated, I am still really new to this.

Oh I have longboxes by Russel Beard, Marlin Watkins and Ernie Fetters with one coming later this year by Mr. Snoddgrass so I am open to others. (Mr. Snoddgrass is not taking custom orders or I would have asked Mr. Snoddgrass to make the combo for me.)
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

AppalachianHollers

Apple and Persimmon? Sounds like a tasty combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packmule

TJ Johnson and Ed Terefencko are both top notch and may be able to meet your timeline. They could tell you if they think they could make that combo work.

Greg Massey

Jody Harrison - Preacherman ... he has snakewood / wormy pear on his website now for sale .. Preachermangear.com ... Scott Witter is another fine call builder ...

rakkin6

If you want to maybe try something a little different maybe a Hen Box from Matt Fulkerson or Richard Hudson. I have one I just received from Matt about a month ago. It has taken some practice because it is a little different from a traditional box call, but it sure sounds great. And I just recently spoke with Mr Hudson, he moved and is in the process of getting his shop back up and running. I am going to buy one from him once he is ready to go. This is my call from Matt it is Mora and Black Limba.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Happy hooker

It sounds like your looking for longbox related ideas not shortbox!!!
The best fiddle box I own is applewood,,in fact it sounds so good I never bought another one feeling I can't improve, I even turned down a like new platz glass for trade for it.
However I've been told applewood doesn't make a good longbox,,don't know why but take the makers word for it.
Somebody who is a master with persimmon and obviously has a Prime source is Jackie Lea,,go to his Facebook page and scroll down through his pictures to see his persimmon combos these though are shortboxes.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on June 20, 2020, 12:15:59 AM
Apple and Persimmon? Sounds like a tasty combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have never had persimmon's so I can't rightly say, love a good New York apple though.

Quote from: packmule on June 20, 2020, 12:29:13 AM
TJ Johnson and Ed Terefencko are both top notch and may be able to meet your timeline. They could tell you if they think they could make that combo work.
Thanks, I will look into them.

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 20, 2020, 12:34:22 AM
Jody Harrison - Preacherman ... he has snakewood / wormy pear on his website now for sale .. Preachermangear.com ... Scott Witter is another fine call builder ...
Thanks for the suggestion, I will get one from him eventually, but right now is to soon, like I said when I get back from OK this coming Spring I will have to save up and get one around August. Only thing I do not like about that call you are talking about is it has snakewood on it and I just do not care for the look of snakewood, rest of it looks fantastic though! Thanks again.

Quote from: rakkin6 on June 20, 2020, 07:48:44 AM
If you want to maybe try something a little different maybe a Hen Box from Matt Fulkerson or Richard Hudson. I have one I just received from Matt about a month ago. It has taken some practice because it is a little different from a traditional box call, but it sure sounds great. And I just recently spoke with Mr Hudson, he moved and is in the process of getting his shop back up and running. I am going to buy one from him once he is ready to go. This is my call from Matt it is Mora and Black Limba.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I do have a nice hen box from Matt and would like to get one from Richard Hudson as well though I do not know if he makes them without the handle? Also I would have to save a good bit more from him as I would want to get one with wood burning on it as some of those I have seen are incredible.

Quote from: Happy hooker on June 20, 2020, 09:48:53 AM
It sounds like your looking for longbox related ideas not shortbox!!!
The best fiddle box I own is applewood,,in fact it sounds so good I never bought another one feeling I can't improve, I even turned down a like new platz glass for trade for it.
However I've been told applewood doesn't make a good longbox,,don't know why but take the makers word for it.
Somebody who is a master with persimmon and obviously has a Prime source is Jackie Lea,,go to his Facebook page and scroll down through his pictures to see his persimmon combos these though are shortboxes.

Never heard that about applewood, I am far from knowing everything though. I know Mr. Watkins does some stuff with applewood though I do not know if that is a shortbox or longbox. Hoping to get a short box with no handle on it from him in August or maybe a one sider.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

paboxcall

Regarding persimmon for a box...I've been toting a Snodgrass persimmon longbox with a maple lid for about twenty years. Can't even begin to fathom the number of birds that gobbled to this box over the years.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on June 20, 2020, 12:21:27 PM
Regarding persimmon for a box...I've been toting a Snodgrass persimmon longbox with a maple lid for about twenty years. Can't even begin to fathom the number of birds that gobbled to this box over the years.

Fine looking box, can't wait to see what he will come up with for me.

John Koenig:

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on June 20, 2020, 01:04:07 PM
It's a battle axe, Steve.
That was a nickname I had for an ex-girlfriend.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Your missing the point of not liking snakewood because of it's looks. Snakewood is awesome lid on a lot of woods for the reason of the sound quality. Looks is second .. Sound and tone is first in my book... just my opinion.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 20, 2020, 01:47:35 PM
Your missing the point of not liking snakewood because of it's looks. Snakewood is awesome lid on a lot of woods for the reason of the sound quality. Looks is second .. Sound and tone is first in my book... just my opinion.
Greg I do agree with you completely, I have heard enough soundfiles to know it sounds good with many different woods, I would like to go after the full package of sound and looks is all I am getting at and to me snakewood does not have the looks that I prefer, I have seen a few that I have liked but it is just not me.

John Koenig:

paboxcall

Yoder409

Quote from: paboxcall on June 20, 2020, 12:21:27 PM

Yeah, John Boy.................

Some day that caller is gonna be sitting on the dash of your truck and you ain't gonna be looking.............      :thanks:

:toothy12:  :toothy12:   :toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.