turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TJ Johnson Box Call Recommendations

Started by GunRunner, June 19, 2020, 11:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

Which TJ Johnson call combination would you recommend?

Thanking you in advance,

GunRunner

Swim-Bait

I'm on his list, so I'm watching this one. TJ seems like a really nice and helpful dude.

Greg Massey

Chakte over black limba , macassar over holly , yellowheart over sycamore , walnut over poplar , walnut over walnut , walnut over mineral stain poplar ...

Gog1015

Depends on the sound your looking for but my favorites from him so far are hophorn/cedar and walnut/mineral stained poplar. He will be able to suggest some combos to you based on the sound your looking for.

310 gauge

In my arsenal are Hophorn/Mineral Poplar, Padauk/ Butternut & Serviceberry/Mahogany. Three different boxes with six different woods yielding bunches of different turkeys. Your choices are endless, and he will do his part to supply you with suggestions in building you a product with "that sound" the turkeys want and the "looks" you want in a call. You've already made one of the best choices you could make in Call Makers, ya'll can easily work out the rest. Have fun!

MDTOM84

Just tell him what sound you are looking for but I can promise you one thing, if it comes out of his shop it's going to be a really good one!

Spitten and drummen

I got a walnut over cedar a little while back that sounds crazy good. He told me he loves cedar boxes.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wchadw

I have walnut/cedar and walnut/butternut. Both are excellent
He sends several sound files of calls and you pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeStaten

Like others have said, tell him what sound you are looking for and he'll make you a good one. I like his Padauk Over butternut.   

EZ

Quote from: MDTOM84 on June 21, 2020, 10:10:00 AM
Just tell him what sound you are looking for but I can promise you one thing, if it comes out of his shop it's going to be a really good one!

I agree 100% with Tom. Aside from being able to run a bunch of combinations and pick one, I've always told the call maker to "make me what YOU like". I've never been disappointed.

PharmHunter

Just got a Yellowheart/Butternut combo from TJ.  It's quite possibly the best sounding box I own, and that's over some real big names.  TJ will change and work out anything you want if it's not exactly what you want.  Super guy!

Roanoke River Rambler

I have several calls from TJ and like them all.

But his hophorn/walnut and hophorn/mineral poplar have been deadly on Easterns in NC. I keep one in my vest! I know that he has other Materials that produce the same sound as my hophorn calls and I would trust him.

Having said that, TJ has a great ear and can get you the sound that you are looking for. He's a great guy and will really work hard to get you what you want. You will not be disappointed.

RRR