Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lets talk dedicated / favorite turkey gun?????

Started by ShootingABN!, June 18, 2020, 08:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on June 25, 2020, 10:41:57 PM
12 Ga Mossberg 835 Turkey with 24" barrel, Indian creek choke (can't remember the size), Tru Glo Micro Red Dot Sight

But what I'm getting ready to potentially switch over to at least for when I got a lot of walking and climbing to do...

Stoeger M3020 20 gauge Turkey edition, had the barrel shortened from 26" to 22". Indian Creek choke .562, Burris FastFire 3. Currently in real tree, getting it dipped this summer in bottomland.

Apex #9s for both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm an 835 guy, as well, shooting Hevi 7's out of a Pure Gold .670 choke but I'll bet that 835 won't ever leave the gun cabinet once you get that Stoeger set up and dialed in with the TSS 9's.  I would go to a 20 with TSS if I didn't have a lifetime supply of the old Hevi 7's.  My 835 patterns so well with the Hevi 7's, I can't justify a New 20 with the TSS.  Well I could but...I would hate to see the ole boy just collect dust.  Good luck with the Stoeger and let's see some pattern pics.

WildTigerTrout

Hard to pick a favorite.  I have 5 shotguns dedicated to turkey hunting. One 10ga ,three 12 ga. to include a Knight ML TK 2000 and one 20 ga.

The one I have used the most in the last several years is a Benelli Nova 24" full camo 20 Ga. I recently added a Leupold VX-I 1x4 Shotgun scope with their HEAVY Duplex reticle. The scope replaced a Bushnell TRS 25.  Choke is a Hevi-Shot .573 and I shoot Hevi-Shot 3" Magnum Blends. Finished off the rig with a CLAW sling.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ShootingABN!

knifeshark

I have three guns that are used just for turkey hunting. 12 gauge Ithaca in advantage, with a 2-7 Nikon scope, and a kicks gobblin' thunder .665 choke. Next one is a 870  20 gauge Wingmaster with a Remington 21 inch turkey barrel and a Carlsons .565 choke with rifle sights. Last one is an old 1980 Remington wing master light weight in 410 gauge, that I used successfully last spring to shoot one of my best birds. I was using a TSS9 shot shell. Seems like the older I get the lighter the gun!

redleg06

My favorite is a youth 870 20gauge with a tactical stock and Fast Fire 3 site... 

Love the size and kills them as far as a I want to shoot them.

Chad Gus715

I won a Rem 870 super mag that was setup for turkey hunting at a banquet back in 07. It's been my go to ever since, it's been a turkey killing machine for me.

Tail Feathers

The one I carry most is a Winchester SX3 20 gauge.  I sometimes carry a CVA single shot and haven't broken the old dedicated Mossberg 12 out in a couple of years.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Big Jeremy

Mostly a Remington 870 super mag SPS with a sure-shot stock, 23" barrel, Sumtoy .660, and hand loaded TSS 9s topped with a Vortex Spitfire. It's a killer for sure. Also added a homemade cheek weld out of an old sleeping pad. That Spitfire aight is great, but it sits up a little high. I couldn't get a good cheek mount without doing something. Added some layers of the old sleep pad and taped around it with camo duct tape (pic is from before I taped it up.) Works like a charm.

I've started taking my wife's/daughter's Mossberg 500 super bantam 20. It's got a bushnell trs-25, wright's swarm .555, and shoots the federal TSS 9s extremely well. Pretty sure the barrel on it is 22". 

MK M GOBL

Mine is a bit of a read!

26 years ago I built my turkey gun! This started out a Remington 11-87SP 12ga 28"bbl matte finish Walnut Stock, I was working for Gander Mountain as the Archery/Hunting Manager at the time in Wilmot WI (This is where Head Office and Main Gunsmithing Team is located at the time) So I find this gun as a used / trade-in we had. I took the gun in to our head of the gunsmith team, this was in January of 1995. I talked to Jack a bit on what I could do to get a better pattern, tighten up the choke and such (he was a turkey hunter too) first was to take off the 28 inch bbl and replace it, I said I wanted a scope on the gun and asked what would work, we found Remington had a Matte finished RemChoke Cantilever "Deer" Slug bbl the would fit/match the gun. So our "parts" guy goes to order this and says were going to want/need a new butt stock with a raised cheek piece to work right with that barrel, that gets ordered with it. So we start looking at scopes and I find this Bushnell Trophy XLT Deer/Turkey Scope 1.75-4x32 with Circle-X Reticle we have, well parts arrive and we fit everything together. I start asking about chokes and Jack says the Briley has a program that we can send the gun down to them and they will test pattern with a number of choke sizes and loads to determine best for the gun. Jack says before we do that lets lengthen out the forcing cone and back bore the barrel then polish it. So were getting this plan together and I ask about camo for the gun, well we were working with a company called Colorworks who could dip it but could only do the "metal" on the gun, I decided that would work and thought would look good with the Matte Walnut Stock. Gun is sent off to get all this done, Colorwork'c calls back to Jack and asks if we wanted to dip the scope too, it's on the gun but we thought only bbl and receiver could be done, so now I have rings and scope camo too. After a few more weeks the gun is back to the shop and everything is done, choke is in and they dipped it too! A box of Federal Premium 12ga 3" Turkey Loads and test pattern papers from 20,30 & 40 yards are sent back with it. Next thing I want is a good sling for it and find a Outdoor Connection Padded Super Sling with Talon Swivels in Camo. Finally we have the gun done "built" Jack, Roy and a couple other from the Gunsmith team were pretty proud of what we came up with! This year was the first year Gander Mountain was really adding to our turkey "Game Plan" buyers were adding more calls, ammo, choke and such to our stores, and were going to add in "Turkey Hunting Seminars" as part of this, well be fortunate enough to work at the Wilmot location this is where they would test this out. I was asked to head up the turkey events in the store and part of this deal was promoting our business and "Gunsmith Team" Jack had talked with the Corp. bosses and about this, Which I did not know about until I went to pay for all the work they had done, When I got my bill Jack handed it to me and it was stamped "PAID IN FULL" I was like what??? Jack said he talked to the corp guys on this a little after we started this and seeing how it turned out he said he wanted to use this a way he could promote the gunsmith teams services, when corp. had said they were going to have me start doing these seminars (These ended up being my "Turkey University" line of seminars I started and still do today) things just worked out, All the work the smiths did the store/corp covered the cost of and I had to speak/promote this during my seminars. I asked Jack about this and he told them how big this could be for them and I just had the WOW factor going on. Gun was done, I paid for it by talking turkey!! I own the first dedicated turkey gun built by them and over the years the only thing I have changed was the stock to the Remington ShurShot and Turkey Loads to Winchester Double xx HV#5's

MK M GOBL

Cowboy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 21, 2021, 05:47:01 AM
Mine is a bit of a read!

26 years ago I built my turkey gun! This started out a Remington 11-87SP 12ga 28"bbl matte finish Walnut Stock, I was working for Gander Mountain as the Archery/Hunting Manager at the time in Wilmot WI (This is where Head Office and Main Gunsmithing Team is located at the time) So I find this gun as a used / trade-in we had. I took the gun in to our head of the gunsmith team, this was in January of 1995. I talked to Jack a bit on what I could do to get a better pattern, tighten up the choke and such (he was a turkey hunter too) first was to take off the 28 inch bbl and replace it, I said I wanted a scope on the gun and asked what would work, we found Remington had a Matte finished RemChoke Cantilever "Deer" Slug bbl the would fit/match the gun. So our "parts" guy goes to order this and says were going to want/need a new butt stock with a raised cheek piece to work right with that barrel, that gets ordered with it. So we start looking at scopes and I find this Bushnell Trophy XLT Deer/Turkey Scope 1.75-4x32 with Circle-X Reticle we have, well parts arrive and we fit everything together. I start asking about chokes and Jack says the Briley has a program that we can send the gun down to them and they will test pattern with a number of choke sizes and loads to determine best for the gun. Jack says before we do that lets lengthen out the forcing cone and back bore the barrel then polish it. So were getting this plan together and I ask about camo for the gun, well we were working with a company called Colorworks who could dip it but could only do the "metal" on the gun, I decided that would work and thought would look good with the Matte Walnut Stock. Gun is sent off to get all this done, Colorwork'c calls back to Jack and asks if we wanted to dip the scope too, it's on the gun but we thought only bbl and receiver could be done, so now I have rings and scope camo too. After a few more weeks the gun is back to the shop and everything is done, choke is in and they dipped it too! A box of Federal Premium 12ga 3" Turkey Loads and test pattern papers from 20,30 & 40 yards are sent back with it. Next thing I want is a good sling for it and find a Outdoor Connection Padded Super Sling with Talon Swivels in Camo. Finally we have the gun done "built" Jack, Roy and a couple other from the Gunsmith team were pretty proud of what we came up with! This year was the first year Gander Mountain was really adding to our turkey "Game Plan" buyers were adding more calls, ammo, choke and such to our stores, and were going to add in "Turkey Hunting Seminars" as part of this, well be fortunate enough to work at the Wilmot location this is where they would test this out. I was asked to head up the turkey events in the store and part of this deal was promoting our business and "Gunsmith Team" Jack had talked with the Corp. bosses and about this, Which I did not know about until I went to pay for all the work they had done, When I got my bill Jack handed it to me and it was stamped "PAID IN FULL" I was like what??? Jack said he talked to the corp guys on this a little after we started this and seeing how it turned out he said he wanted to use this a way he could promote the gunsmith teams services, when corp. had said they were going to have me start doing these seminars (These ended up being my "Turkey University" line of seminars I started and still do today) things just worked out, All the work the smiths did the store/corp covered the cost of and I had to speak/promote this during my seminars. I asked Jack about this and he told them how big this could be for them and I just had the WOW factor going on. Gun was done, I paid for it by talking turkey!! I own the first dedicated turkey gun built by them and over the years the only thing I have changed was the stock to the Remington ShurShot and Turkey Loads to Winchester Double xx HV#5's

MK M GOBL
Very cool story!

Tom007

Mine is a bit of a read!

MK M GOBL

That's a great story, thanks for sharing...great gun..
"Solo hunter"

mountaineer long beard

I dont have the history with my turkey gun that a lot of you do. I bought it a couple years ago but I really like it. It's a Stoeger m3500, 28" barrel in Realtree APG. It has a Bushnell rs25 red dot and a jellyhead choke. It shoots Federal 3rd degree TSS and Longbeard XR very well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Just painted it and had my buddy make new strings. 400 gr Beman ,Grim Reaper mini mag @ 50 lb 27.5 draw length 230fps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

ShootingABN!

Mine is a bit of a read!

MK M GOBL

Awesome story.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ShootingABN! on February 21, 2021, 02:22:51 PM
Mine is a bit of a read!

MK M GOBL

Awesome story.
xxxx 4, 5 or 6... great story, thanks for sharing.