OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Longbox Accessibility in the Field  (Read 2097 times)

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Longbox Accessibility in the Field
« on: June 14, 2020, 11:57:51 PM »
Y’all have got me thinking $200 longbox (probably in January). Another notch in the belt for the best money hole ever, imminent.

What remains intimidating, though, is the thought of how to keep it safe, but also easily accessible in the field. I’ve seen leather holsters, but given where I hunt I’d be scared of falling over on it and breaking a precious call! Or ruining it by walking through dew-laden tall grass.

How do those of you who actually use a long box regularly keep it handy?
Seems most box call carrying devices are geared toward short box dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: Longbox Accessibility in the Field
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 04:57:58 AM »
I carry mine in a Yoder leather holster attached to a carribeaner hooked to my shoulder strap on my turkey vest. When it hangs down it’s probably only to the top part of my thigh. I wear it on my right side and I am right handed so it doesn’t get in the way of my left knee being up when I am sitting and doesn’t bother me when shouldering my gun. I really like this setup. I don’t think anything would prevent a person falling on a call and breaking it except some kind of a hard case, no matter where I carried it that is what I would probably fall on.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 11:14:16 AM »
I agree , regardless how you decide to carry it longbox or short , you take a change of breaking it , figure out what works for you and take it hunting.

Offline PharmHunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 12:27:34 PM »
Glenda Greene makes a great holster, and I attach it by the clip to the upper part of my vest when I carry one.

Offline SwampRooster17

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
I use one of Glenda’s holster and zip tie it to the strap that buckles to my seat. You can see it on my left side in this picture. If there is heavy dew in the tall grass I will flip the holster and long box over into my game bag on my vest. If it’s calling for rain the long box stays home.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 01:10:07 PM »
Yoder leather holster on the belt on my left side, though I'm right handed for a "cross draw" LOL. Sometimes need to grasp the bottom of the holster to pull it as Yoder's holds the call snug and quiet. Never had trouble with it being there, and I fall routinely.

Like the idea of the carabiner to attach higher on the vest Chris. Will be trying this come fall season.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Swim-Bait

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 06:03:54 PM »
Dan Wittenberg makes a really nice Long Box in that $185 range, and it comes with a holster. You can either wear it on your belt, over your shoulder and around your chest; or other ways like mentioned. Good guy, very quality box call; and holster provided.

www.danscalls.com

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 11:43:14 PM »
Yoder leather holster on the belt on my left side, though I'm right handed for a "cross draw" LOL. Sometimes need to grasp the bottom of the holster to pull it as Yoder's holds the call snug and quiet. Never had trouble with it being there, and I fall routinely.

Like the idea of the carabiner to attach higher on the vest Chris. Will be trying this come fall season.
Yeah my vest has the narrow 1 1/2” wide shoulder straps so it works really good. I will send you a picture sometime

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »
I carry mine in a water proof holster and just slip it in an inside pocket in my vest. In that pocket it tucks in against my lower chest and stomach just above my waist. I carry mine rain or shine. All the time. Never leave home without a paddle call.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 05:15:57 PM »
Carried in a holster on my waist belt, typically left hip, generally works for me but can get in the way when sitting down, especially in the gobbler lounger, or getting in the truck, answering nature's calls, ...

Something I started doing this year that I found super convenient was to get a second light weight stretchy belt with a quick release buckle (Arcade) just for the holsters.  Wish I'd thought of that earlier.

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 09:29:38 AM »
I bought a couple tactical slings like in the photo below and attached longbox holsters to them.  The sling is worn bandoleer style so it rides on my right shoulder and the holster/call hang under my left arm. The call is easily accessible and the whole thing is instantly removable when I set up. 

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 08:48:04 PM »
Great idea....like it....
“Solo hunter”