OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A Bunch of Strikers, But Only a Few Favorites?  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
A Bunch of Strikers, But Only a Few Favorites?
« on: June 14, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »
Is it just me, or does everyone end up with a bunch of strikers in a drawer and end up using four, maybe five ( or fewer? ) main ones?

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: A Bunch of Strikers, But Only a Few Favorites?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 06:01:48 PM »
Yep, and I can't figure out what it is that makes certain strikers play better. I have a striker I absolutely love and so I bought a second one thinking that I might one day lose the original and would hate if I couldn't get another. Same wood (this one's a laminate) and maker, but that second call doesn't run nearly as well as that first one. I keep five on me in the woods and none of the others in the drawer ever seem to break one of those out of rotation. The starting five holds firm.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 06:08:07 PM »
Oh yes, I bet I have at least 70 strikers and there are only small percentage that I use. Of course many of those came with calls I have purchased.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 11:58:53 PM »
I just counted my strikers . 263 and I only use probably a dozen of them. I have 4 or 5 that I would not trade for a high end  call or a fist full of cash. I bought some duplicates and like previously said , they dont sound the same. Odd how that works.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
I am the exact same way.
I can build a dozen strikers the exact same way, and get a dozen different sounds.
That is why I think it is so important to MATCH a call with a striker (or match the striker to the call).