OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best “Native” Wood for Boxes and Pots

Started by AppalachianHollers, June 11, 2020, 11:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

If you're going to get into suction calls, Lee Bowles from Pa. makes a killer cane yelper. Easy to play and sounds sweet!

EZ

Quote from: sixbird on June 15, 2020, 11:05:52 PM
If you're going to get into suction calls, Lee Bowles from Pa. makes a killer cane yelper. Easy to play and sounds sweet!

That's for sure. Lee's yelper ALL run and are ALL turkey. I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet, but he's working on a little something "new to him" that is going to be stellar.

Beards and Hooks

I like alot of woods I am sure like many on here, but the more I get into calls the!more I appreciate Black Walnut. Not only does it look great but works nice in the calls I have from pots, short boxes, troughs, scratch boxes, etc. That s probably my favorite and cedar is great nice as well and so pretty.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on June 19, 2020, 09:49:03 AM
I like alot of woods I am sure like many on here, but the more I get into calls the!more I appreciate Black Walnut. Not only does it look great but works nice in the calls I have from pots, short boxes, troughs, scratch boxes, etc. That s probably my favorite and cedar is great nice as well and so pretty.

Walnut, poplar, cedar, cherry seem to be the four unbeatable woods with walnut reigning supreme in that it makes just as fine a box as a lid.

paboxcall

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on June 19, 2020, 10:20:27 AM
Walnut, poplar, cedar, cherry seem to be the four unbeatable woods with walnut reigning supreme in that it makes just as fine a box as a lid.

I think butternut has to be on that list and make it five unbeatable woods.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: paboxcall on June 19, 2020, 02:18:58 PM

I was really really really close to putting it on there. You're absolutely right. Those five are THE woods! Period.

West Augusta

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on June 14, 2020, 11:12:57 PM
Lord-willing and the creeks don't rise, I'm leaning toward getting a long box at Unicoi in January (I'm intrigued, but intimidated by trumpets given the cost of even getting one I cannot evaluate b/c I haven't yet learned how to play one).
It'll be a very new genre of call for me, but hopefully I can find a great-sounding native wood fiddle. Will be something I can really feel like practicing with all year. Or maybe I'll hear a sound out of a more exotic wood that I cannot get over. We'll see. Plenty of time to make an informed choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stop at all the trumpet makers booths at Unicoi.  All of them will take the time to help you learn how to run one.  What better way to learn than from those that make them.  Then, pick one that runs easy for you.  They don't all run the same.  What works for me won't work for you.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

crow

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on June 19, 2020, 03:00:06 PM
Quote from: paboxcall on June 19, 2020, 02:18:58 PM

I was really really really close to putting it on there. You're absolutely right. Those five are THE woods! Period.

I would put osage before cherry on this list.

I have a Ralph Snodgrass osage/sassafras and a Billy Bush Begging machine osage/butternut that are exceptional for sound, and I've never heard a begging machine that wasn't.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: crow on June 23, 2020, 05:14:20 PM

I would put osage before cherry on this list.

I have a Ralph Snodgrass osage/sassafras and a Billy Bush Begging machine osage/butternut that are exceptional for sound, and I've never heard a begging machine that wasn't.

I've got to hear those.

AppalachianHollers

What do y'all think of wormy chestnut calls? Seems it might be a more lightweight wood and affect what combo one goes with.

paboxcall

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on June 24, 2020, 10:27:03 PM
What do y'all think of wormy chestnut calls? Seems it might be a more lightweight wood and affect what combo one goes with.

Snodgrass mac ebony over reclaimed chestnut mini boat. Birds really hammer the mini.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

greencop01

For 'native woods' I'ld have to say Osage over butternut (Billy Bush Beggin'n Machine)                                           
                                                  Walnut over Cedar (Marlin Watkins long box or short box, same for Ralph     
                                                                                                                                      Snodgrass)                                         
                                                  All Walnut Marlin Watkins                                                                           
            And by the way these combos by any call maker listed on the site.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

turkey stew

Walnut over poplar or butternut and the Cherry over poplar short boxes. Often forgotten by hunters but produce killer hen talk.

muddpuppi

Butternut.poplar.walnut.holly.maple.cherry...alot of options out there...alot of good callmakers too

sooner

When I first started making paddle calls for the most part I used cedar lids. As time went on I started using the exotics for ease of play to compete in Nashville. Now I'm trying to use domestic woods when I can. I love serviceberry and hop hornbeam on paddlecalls when they hit. I also love cedar on butternut, poplar or all cedar. I've had good luck with the serviceberry on butternut and mineral poplar and also on walnut. The hop hornbeam I've had my best luck with mineral poplar and walnut. I've also made some great paddle calls with walnut lids. I've not made one with walnut for years but want to go back and give it a try again.
  I've also started using more of the domestic woods on the fiddle boxes lately.