OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Unicoi 2021: How to Make the Most of It  (Read 4236 times)

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Unicoi 2021: How to Make the Most of It
« on: June 10, 2020, 09:38:44 PM »
Alright, so *assuming* Unicoi isn’t cancelled because of the Big ‘Rona (or who knows what else), what tips would you give a first-timer to enjoy it the most?

Anything from who to talk to, best time of day to play calls (if that’s even possible) vs shoot the breeze with whoever is there, best shopping strategy, things to do in Helen, GA (which German restaurant is the best?) that time of year, etc.

Yeah, I know January is half a year away, but c’mon, gimme something to dream about! I can’t really stop thinking about it, and my wife’s pretty pumped about the idea of finally going to Helen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Unicoi 2021: How to Make the Most of It
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 09:54:25 PM »
Bring lots of cash

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:52:00 PM »
Reserve your room now.
Bring lots of cash
Don't tell your wife where you're going.
Plan on spending the whole weekend there. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:12:07 AM »
It is very easy to spend a couple of house mortgages there for sure lol.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 08:24:44 AM »
Really looking forward to it and know the first table I am going to. If Unicoi does not happen I will be upset, not with the leaders of it, but the situation. It is such a great time to see friends and meet other hunters.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
Get a room at the lodge and don't expect to get a lot of sleep, the best times are after the show around the fire places its worth the trip if you never see a call. no other show like it anywhere.

Offline Borat

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »
I can't emphasize enough, bring lots of cash.  Every year I head there with a fixed amount money and swear I won't spend any more than I take.  Well, after a stop at Marlin Watkins' booth I shamefully make a trip to the ATM, and after a pass through the first row of call makers I historically make the same shameful walk to the ATM for a second withdraw.  You pay for what you get when it comes to turkey calls, and there's no substitute to the quality that is available to you at this show. Looking forward to the 2021 show already!

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »
I can't emphasize enough, bring lots of cash.  Every year I head there with a fixed amount money and swear I won't spend any more than I take.  Well, after a stop at Marlin Watkins' booth I shamefully make a trip to the ATM, and after a pass through the first row of call makers I historically make the same shameful walk to the ATM for a second withdraw.  You pay for what you get when it comes to turkey calls, and there's no substitute to the quality that is available to you at this show. Looking forward to the 2021 show already!

lol, I really may be in the position this year of only being able to get 1 solid call. Just bought a house...so chances are I’m going to have to savor the agony until another year. But I earnestly hope I find a call (probably a box, though I’m bewildered and intrigued by trumpets) I just about fall in love with and “forsaking all others” work until the season starts.
I live 2 hours away from Unicoi, so I may end up not spending money on lodging this year (but I’ll probably call about a reservation, anyway, just in case they’re not completely booked and I can get a friend to go and split cost).

Offline Borat

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »

lol, I really may be in the position this year of only being able to get 1 solid call. Just bought a house...so chances are I’m going to have to savor the agony until another year. But I earnestly hope I find a call (probably a box, though I’m bewildered and intrigued by trumpets) I just about fall in love with and “forsaking all others” work until the season starts.
I live 2 hours away from Unicoi, so I may end up not spending money on lodging this year (but I’ll probably call about a reservation, anyway, just in case they’re not completely booked and I can get a friend to go and split cost).

I certainly can understand that.  Regardless of how many calls you can buy, for me personally, I just embrace the fact that I'm surrounded by the best call makers of my time and in the presence of what I consider to be the best turkey hunters in country.  There's a wealth of knowledge in that room and you'll be able to run a number of different calls that will showcase your style.  When you go back in 2022, you'll have that information and be able to purchase those calls that best suite you as a caller/hunter.  Enjoy every aspect of the show; it's a special one. Hope to see you there!

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 02:30:50 PM »
If anybody is interested in splitting a room for this pm me,,Its time for me to make the big trip down from Minnesota.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 04:15:30 PM »
At Unicoi, you can run the calls.  ALL of the calls and buy what sounds like a turkey to you.  It's worth the trip.  PLUS, you get to meet all of the call makers and after hours, you get to hang out with them. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »
Great show and call builders . Agree bring lot's of money ...  It's in the lodge ... the lodge is located in the mountains of the State Park..

Offline slicksbeagles1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
I agree with what everyone about Unicoi. You can talk to people and play calls from open to close. It’s not German food but in my opinion the best place in town to eat is Mully’s Nacoochee Grill it’s just a little pricey but the food and service is the best.

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 07:13:09 AM »
Best thing about Unicoi is the fellowship and meeting new folks

Offline Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
I will be very disappointed if it gets cancelled because of this covid19 mess.  That room can get really packed out at times.