OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trumpet  (Read 2127 times)

Offline turkeymanjim

Trumpet
« on: June 09, 2020, 12:37:53 PM »
Looking to buy a good trumpet. Something that is user friendly and not going to break the the bank. I'm a tube call guy. I tryed commercial trumpet calls before and could yelp and cluck somewhat on them. Not good enough to hunt with. I was told that some are easier then others to call with. What would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Trumpet
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 12:53:08 PM »
Post a budget as we dont know the size of your bank.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Try a Mero or Matt McClain.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:08:47 PM »
Buice 6” with a #4 is always my recommendation for someone learning and new to trumpets. There will be 50 different recommendations but make sure to do your research.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline turkeymanjim

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »
 $200 and under. I would like to start around there and see if I can play them then go up in price and quality from there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Les C

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 02:46:32 PM »
Gregg Gwaltney Makes an excellent trumpet within your budget. He is Gregg on the forum here.

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 03:10:58 PM »
Ralph Permar makes several models under $200 and you could most likely get most of your money back if you found trumpets weren't for you. He has a website with all his info on it.

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »
Ernie Fetters, Age, McAllister,Townsend an Martin all of these you can get for under $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »
As already stated you will get many different answers.Look through some of the makers that get mentioned a lot in the trumpet Wingbone section on here.. Find a style you like the looks of and choose one. $200 will buy you a great trumpet. Practice as much as you can ,but give it some time before you expect too much it takes a little while to learn. You may be a natural and learn quickly. Enjoy your call!!!

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 07:25:52 PM »
Anthony Ellis Jordan style is one of my all time favorites.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 08:05:01 PM »
If your on Facebook lookup Lewis Stowe  he makes a really good trumpet for about $155
He won't let it go if it doesn't sound like a turkey , he's really good
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 11:25:14 PM »
Austy Bott is in your price range, and its adjustable. Search him here. There are trumpet players who use his exclusively now.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 08:09:03 AM »
As already stated you will get many different answers.Look through some of the makers that get mentioned a lot in the trumpet Wingbone section on here.. Find a style you like the looks of and choose one. $200 will buy you a great trumpet. Practice as much as you can ,but give it some time before you expect too much it takes a little while to learn. You may be a natural and learn quickly. Enjoy your call!!!

What Chris said. Practicing and practicing right is more important right now. Any of the guys mentioned make excellent calls. Once you really get the feel for running this type of call, you'll be able to run them all and be better equipped to evaluate what you like.

A very good starting point is to look up on YouTube, Marlin Watkins Yelper instructional #1 and Del Crow Yelper Instructions. They explain starting out and air control very well, IMHO.

Good Luck

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 11:35:43 AM »

A very good starting point is to look up on YouTube, Marlin Watkins Yelper instructional #1 and Del Crow Yelper Instructions. They explain starting out and air control very well, IMHO.

I'd add to that the Ralph Permar video on YouTube. Just search his name.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 09:00:21 PM »
Matt Mclain , Anthony Ellis and Ernie Fetters

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 09:27:10 AM »
I like my Matt Mclain trumpet. I also have a couple of cane yelpers from Kevin Rouse I like a lot. The river cane yelpers seem like the easiest to play for me. I am far from an expert but I can get turkeys to answer me on trumpets or yelpers but have not finished one with them yet. Have learned the last couple of years to shut up before turkey gets too close or use a soft playing push pin.