OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: retiring!  (Read 2290 times)

Offline snapper1982

• Longbeard
retiring!
« on: June 06, 2020, 08:56:10 PM »
another turkey season has come and gone and it looks like we pulled it off again. 5 in a row! I had told steve that if we won this year i was retiring. well yall. it has been a real pleasure and honor to be on this team for so long. 5 in a row and i am hanging it up.

Online Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: retiring!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 11:26:46 PM »
Dude........ :newmascot:

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 07:46:49 AM »
Cmon man we have many more birds to kill and championships to win...
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 06:38:15 AM »
Hate to see you go man. Thanks for all the effort you put into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vicksburg

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Vicksburg, MS
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »
No need to retire!  I've enjoyed seeing all your gobblers that you have killed and posted for the team.  Looking forward to more !
]

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
I almost retired before this year, as all my focus is on getting my boy a bird... well luckily he tagged out youth weekend and I was able to contribute.  If you do retire, it’s been good getting to know you on here.  I’m not very active on here except for this team, so I wish you well.  You definitely went out on top! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 09:01:53 AM »
First of all, I have been on this team from the very beginning,...and I very much like all of you guys and have enjoyed participating.  Winning the contest is nice,...but has been an unimportant bonus.  If the format on the contest remains the same, I will probably continue to participate (unless someone like Anthony or another of our past team members needs a spot).

Having said that, I think the make-up of serious turkey hunters on this team has honestly made it difficult for other teams to compete (as has been demonstrated by the results over the last few years).  I think a lot of OG members have stopped participating in the contest because of that.  There are fewer teams this year than I think there have ever been in the contest. 

From the start of these contests on OG years ago, I was one of the guys that said we should have a random drawing for the teams every year.  I still believe that is what should be happening because I think it promotes more camaraderie among the overall OG membership,...and it instills a level of uncertainty in the random picking of teams that might encourage more OG members to get involved.

The point of all of this rambling is that I plan on starting a discussion among the OG membership about the contest and whether a change in the format is needed in the future to insure more "equity",...and hopefully, more participation. I just wanted you guys to know that my intent to do that has nothing to do with any discontent or animosity I hold with our team.  I just think too many folks may have lost interest in participating in the contest because we have been dominating it for so long.

...That's the view from here...
Jim

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 09:14:55 AM »
Gobblenut, refresh my memory. Didn't we do a team thing over on TT&H that was a random assignment. I know I participated some, but I have never joined a team here. I always felt like the teams here were closed and prearranged between members and I felt like I'd be intruding. It's kind of fun, but I found it changed my hunting some when I was competing. Our old chapter of NWTF done a contest for years and the club finally abandoned it because the same people won most years. Some focused on just killing big birds and winning while others just hunted for any turkey. Occasionally a random hunter killed that one exceptional bird, but typically it was the same guys taking the trophy and pot, it just rotated between 3-4 guys. I enjoy my hunting a lot more now that it doesn't matter what I kill. I think it hurt me as a turkey hunter when I was younger. Now, I don't think it would matter as I feel like I don't have to prove anything and if I kill that high scoring bird or not doesn't matter. My best bird this year would of probably been in the 50s, not winning much

Online Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »
First of all, I have been on this team from the very beginning,...and I very much like all of you guys and have enjoyed participating.  Winning the contest is nice,...but has been an unimportant bonus.  If the format on the contest remains the same, I will probably continue to participate (unless someone like Anthony or another of our past team members needs a spot).

Having said that, I think the make-up of serious turkey hunters on this team has honestly made it difficult for other teams to compete (as has been demonstrated by the results over the last few years).  I think a lot of OG members have stopped participating in the contest because of that.  There are fewer teams this year than I think there have ever been in the contest. 

From the start of these contests on OG years ago, I was one of the guys that said we should have a random drawing for the teams every year.  I still believe that is what should be happening because I think it promotes more camaraderie among the overall OG membership,...and it instills a level of uncertainty in the random picking of teams that might encourage more OG members to get involved.

The point of all of this rambling is that I plan on starting a discussion among the OG membership about the contest and whether a change in the format is needed in the future to insure more "equity",...and hopefully, more participation. I just wanted you guys to know that my intent to do that has nothing to do with any discontent or animosity I hold with our team.  I just think too many folks may have lost interest in participating in the contest because we have been dominating it for so long.

...That's the view from here...
Jim

I totally understand the point you are making BUT I feel just the opposite about how our success has influenced this contest. The scores this year were closer than I ever remember  like 64pts separated the top 5 teams. I can remember when only 2-3 teams had 500+ pts so I think our success ilusa the other teams stepping up in one way or the other.  I really like our team, lots of like minded serious hunters.
I can see our run ending in the near future as more and more guys are traveling to hunt.  I’d say this team over the years spent more on out of state license and tags than any other team, I think that’s changing tho..... however I’m very competitive no matter what type of competition so I’m in it to win and I like having other like minded others on the Team.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
Gobblenut, refresh my memory. Didn't we do a team thing over on TT&H that was a random assignment. I know I participated some, but I have never joined a team here. I always felt like the teams here were closed and prearranged between members and I felt like I'd be intruding. It's kind of fun, but I found it changed my hunting some when I was competing. Our old chapter of NWTF done a contest for years and the club finally abandoned it because the same people won most years. Some focused on just killing big birds and winning while others just hunted for any turkey. Occasionally a random hunter killed that one exceptional bird, but typically it was the same guys taking the trophy and pot, it just rotated between 3-4 guys. I enjoy my hunting a lot more now that it doesn't matter what I kill. I think it hurt me as a turkey hunter when I was younger. Now, I don't think it would matter as I feel like I don't have to prove anything and if I kill that high scoring bird or not doesn't matter. My best bird this year would of probably been in the 50s, not winning much

Yeah, eggshell, we had that contest for a couple of years over on the T&TH site,...and it was set up a bit differently.  Simply stated, I hate to see folks on OG not participate in the contest because of some of the very things you mention above.  I just think it is time for a general discussion among the members to see if we need to rethink the contest to bring in more of the membership. 

And Roost, your perspective is understood, as well.  Again, I just think we need to get a feel from the general membership as to how everybody feels about the contest format we've been using.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »
I hate to see folks on OG not participate in the contest because of some of the very things you mention above.  I just think it is time for a general discussion among the members to see if we need to rethink the contest to bring in more of the membership. 

Oh yeah, better be careful what you wish for Old Man....that dynasty banner might just get taken down. It's been a while since I targeted solely big old gobblers, but I ain't forgot how to kill em either!

Isn't a contest supposed to be at least a little bit about talking smack?  :dancingturkey:

Offline snapper1982

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 01:19:15 PM »
I hate to see folks on OG not participate in the contest because of some of the very things you mention above.  I just think it is time for a general discussion among the members to see if we need to rethink the contest to bring in more of the membership. 

Oh yeah, better be careful what you wish for Old Man....that dynasty banner might just get taken down. It's been a while since I targeted solely big old gobblers, but I ain't forgot how to kill em either!

Isn't a contest supposed to be at least a little bit about talking smack?  :dancingturkey:

easy there eggshell you dont want to pull people out of retirment

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 08:53:54 PM »
Don't worry snapper, Gobblenut and i go back a ways....just having fun

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 08:36:57 AM »
Don't worry snapper, Gobblenut and i go back a ways....just having fun

Yeah,....I think we go way back a lot further than either of us would like to admit....   :)

On the other hand, if it brings "young snapper" out of retirement, you should just keep after me, eggshell! ;D