turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87 upgrades

Started by Iamlegend, June 05, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iamlegend

are there any parts prone to breaking or should could be replaced to make a 11-87 more reliable?

Ozarks Hillbilly

Very reliable gun IMO. I do keep some gas seal rubber o-rings. On my sporting clay's / uplands  11-87 I replace it every couple of years. Dedicated Turkey gun I am not sure unless you shoot a lot that it would need replaced maybe once every 10 years or so.

I would suggest the addition of a Timney trigger sear and spring.  $100 well spent.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on June 05, 2020, 08:50:56 PM
Very reliable gun IMO. I do keep some gas seal rubber o-rings. On my sporting clay's / uplands  11-87 I replace it every couple of years. Dedicated Turkey gun I am not sure unless you shoot a lot that it would need replaced maybe once every 10 years or so.

I would suggest the addition of a Timney trigger sear and spring.  $100 well spent.

What do the Timney trigger sear and spring do exactly? What is the improvement and what would be a reason to do it?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ozarks Hillbilly

Crisper and lighter trigger pull. The "trigger fix" comes with new sear and 3 different weight springs you can choose from.

captpete

I agree with the Timney trigger upgrade. I don't own a 11-87, but I put the trigger kit in my 870. It made a huge difference. Like said lighter and much more crisp...it really took the "drag" out of the trigger.

Iamlegend

I appreciate the info guys, Thanks

Ozarks Hillbilly

I did think of one other thing.  In the early 2000's Remington had a J lock safety for a few years. If perhaps your 11-87 is equipped with a J lock I would suggest replacing it with a conventional safety.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on June 06, 2020, 09:28:25 PM
I did think of one other thing.  In the early 2000's Remington had a J lock safety for a few years. If perhaps your 11-87 is equipped with a J lock I would suggest replacing it with a conventional safety.

Are you talking about the one you needed the green thing to unlock the gun? If so I have never seen one of those on a shotgun but do have a rifle with one and it is a secondary safety meant to be more like a child safety lock, there is also a safety you use when hunting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Yes Sir. I have seen those fail on a 11-87 and a 870.

captpete

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on June 06, 2020, 09:28:25 PM

That is a good suggestion. I guess I didn't think about changing it or realize it could be changed. I have one on my 870. Some how or another it got turned to "lock" and I didn't realize it. Really sucked when I pulled up on a Pheasant and couldn't take the safety off. I now carry the "key" with me in case it happens again. Where did you get the replacement...Midway USA, Brownells???

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on June 07, 2020, 06:36:51 AM
Yes Sir. I have seen those fail on a 11-87 and a 870.

Never knew that, I have a 700 ALD with one in it, as I said I had never seen a shotgun with one though, you learn something new ever day. As asked above this comment what is entailed in having one replaced. Also for confirmation is it the J safety that has failed or the what I will call a secondary safety like you use when you are hunting that fails? Thank you in advance for the reply.

John Koenig:

captpete

I did some research today and from what I can see it is a simple replacement with parts for about $20 depending on what safety button you chose. I don't think it actually fails. From what I've seen it some how gets turned, locking the safety so it can not be taken off(like my situation). Then you need the "key" to unlock it. It is a real concern in a self-defense/tactical gun. I saw that you can rotate the lock by accident with your finger just by taking the safety off & on. The purpose of the J-lock is make the gun in-operable when it is locked...like putting on a trigger lock or cable lock.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on June 07, 2020, 08:33:26 PM
I did some research today and from what I can see it is a simple replacement with parts for about $20 depending on what safety button you chose. I don't think it actually fails. From what I've seen it some how gets turned, locking the safety so it can not be taken off(like my situation). Then you need the "key" to unlock it. It is a real concern in a self-defense/tactical gun. I saw that you can rotate the lock by accident with your finger just by taking the safety off & on. The purpose of the J-lock is make the gun in-operable when it is locked...like putting on a trigger lock or cable lock.
I will have to talk with the local gunsmith, never did like that contraption anyway. Thanks for the information.

John Koenig:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Sorry just saw your replies.  I think I got the replacement from Midway USA. I have gotten parts from both but Midway is located here in Missouri so I can have things next day a lot of the time. 

Iamlegend

Great information. My 11-87 doesn't have that safety lock but if it did I would replace it.