OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mapping phone apps

Started by Marc, June 04, 2020, 02:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I know I have seen other threads on this subject (Links would be appreciated), but I could not find them.

So I have been meaning to get one of these apps, but I am completely non-tech savvy. I also have almost no sense of direction (outside of up and down).

How do they work?
Do you need to first download a GPS device to the phone?
Can you use them if you do not have cell service?
Can you use them to find areas, or find your way out of remote areas without cell service?
What are the choices (i.e. Onx verses Gaia, verses others)
Anyone who has tried multiple services, which is the most USER FRIENDLY and easiest to use?

Basically, from anyone in the know, I would love a breakdown of what these apps do, and how they work...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

West Augusta

Your phone already has a GPS in it. Just turn it on.
Same as used for driving instructions.

The hunting apps have topo lines,  property lines, way points,  compass and can tell you the name of the property owner. 

And yes,  they can keep you from getting lost if you learn to use them. 

I used the trail version of On X this year.  After what I've seen,  I'll buy the full version next year.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Turkeyman

I use Gaia...the paid version, and really like it. What you need to do is try each app's freebie version, see what additional features are in their paid versions then make your decision. The reason I went with Gaia is because, in addition to hunting, I also do quite a bit of hiking and they have many built-in trails and such.

I have a Garmin GPS and see myself never using it again. I've already transferred all my waypoints to Gaia.

West Augusta

Quote from: Turkeyman on June 04, 2020, 03:25:08 PM
I use Gaia...the paid version, and really like it. What you need to do is try each app's freebie version, see what additional features are in their paid versions then make your decision. The reason I went with Gaia is because, in addition to hunting, I also do quite a bit of hiking and they have many built-in trails and such.

I have a Garmin GPS and see myself never using it again. I've already transferred all my waypoints to Gaia.

The only down side to using your phone over a true GPS is battery life.  My phone is older and the battery doesn't last as long as it once did.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Turkeyman

I carry a relatively inexpensive Samsung battery pack in my vest. I never had to use it this spring but if I had, it's there. The size I have is good for 4 full recharges. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Turkeyman on June 04, 2020, 04:06:11 PM
I carry a relatively inexpensive Samsung battery pack in my vest. I never had to use it this spring but if I had, it's there. The size I have is good for 4 full recharges. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8.
Agree , i always carry phone charger in my bag..It's good for 2 recharges

Marc

Quote from: Turkeyman on June 04, 2020, 03:25:08 PM

OnX does not have built in trails and recreation areas?

Gaia, Basecamp, and OnX are the ones I have heard about...  Heck, if two of them were really good and had advantages over each other, I might get both, especially since I would only use them in California.

I am looking to fish some lakes off of unmarked logging roads...  I would like to use the App to find the correct roads, and get to the trailhead, and then use the APP to follow the correct trail to the lake or area...  And then use it to get my butt back home.

I would also love to know if I could use a quad on the trailheads to get to the lakes and such???

Last week looking for an isolate lake off of a logging road, I got lost going up, and took the wrong way coming back...  I would really like to avoid this in the future...  (This coming from someone who could potentially get lost at my own house)
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

paboxcall

I found OnX offline mapping easier to create and use. I also found their map tools easier to use for marking trails, etc. But I appreciate the multiple layers HuntStand provides, so I subscribe to both.

So based on my experience, if you are looking to see cuts through the woods for old trails or newer gas well access trails, etc. I think HuntStand with its multiple layers might better suit you.

Install the apps and run both of them through their free trial periods, nothing to lose.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

deerhunt1988

I have both OnX and Gaia. Use Gaia the most and prefer it. It is much 'cleaner' and smoother running on both my phone (Android) and PC than OnX. You can also get Google Earth imagery on Gaia. Most imagery on OnX is pretty subpar. OnX got in the market earliest and they spend the most on marketing, thus that is all most folks know. I have OnX because so many of my buddies use it and we often share pins (which is just as easy to do in Gaia). One benefit to OnX is I have found a couple hunting layers on there that Gaia does not have.

Happy

I just carry a bushnell backtrack. Set the location wherever I park my truck and then go hunt. I think it stores three points.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Crghss

As others have stated sign up for free trial of OnX & Gaia. See if you'll use it or like it.

Maybe google maps (not goggle earth) will give you what you need.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Crghss

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

roberthyman14

I run hunt stand and on x.       I gotta see if hunt stand will let me store maps offline.  On x you can load maps at home into the offline area.  No cell service I just hit offline map I need.  I use them a bunch chasing turkeys. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

g8rvet

I use OnX and like it fine.  Don't know much about the others, but storing the maps offline is the way to go. Most of the swamps I hunt have poor service.  Ditto to the charger.  I keep one in my vest.  The maps are often better than Google Earth where I hunt (more recent), but don't know about the others.  I would probably want the one that uses the most recent maps if I were starting to look now.

I still have a GPS with downloadable maps kicking around somewhere, but I always have my phone anyway, so it is a lot nice to carry one less thing.  If my life depended on it, I would want a real GPS.  But for turkey hunting, convenience goes a long way. Saved me a very long hike 2 years ago.  I knew where I was and knew where my truck was, but the way straight back was just too thick.  Overhead let me find an easier way out. 

The pin dropping feature is fantastic if you hunt with family or friends.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Spurs

100% GAIA.  Once I found out that you could upload 'custom layers', it blew OnX out of the water for me.  Much cleaner, more tools, easier to upload point/tracks to Google Earth.

There is a way to upload Google Earth imagery to use as a base layer.  I did it a couple of years ago and it makes all the difference.
This year is going to suck!!!