OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot Call vs Box Call  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Pot Call vs Box Call
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
I always have 2-3 boxes w me & use them mostly. Usually s long box, hen box & a 1 sider. carry 2 pots but usually dont use them, Mike
   I am thinking about getting a one sider Mike, is there much of a difference between one and a regular shortbox?

Yea you’re limited to what you can do

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 10:29:22 PM »
I always have 2-3 boxes w me & use them mostly. Usually s long box, hen box & a 1 sider. carry 2 pots but usually dont use them, Mike
   I am thinking about getting a one sider Mike, is there much of a difference between one and a regular shortbox?

I guess by your reply and what you carry to the woods Bowguy no benefits with a one sider?

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 11:13:43 PM »

unless you want to gobble you are not limited what so ever

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 03:56:25 AM »

I guess by your reply and what you carry to the woods Bowguy no benefits with a one sider?

I don’t even own one sliders anymore.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 04:01:04 AM »

unless you want to gobble you are not limited what so ever

Not sure why you say that. The second side normally has a dif sound. That’d double the call worth right there in my eyes. Now add gobbling. Its more worthwhile imo to carry a reg call because of this variability. Detracting nothing from anything you do or say.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
I generally only play one side anyway, rarely play the left side. So for me ts no big deal to have a one side. Have always just liked the simplicity. Mike

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 10:33:16 AM »
I have a one sider that I would not sell you for a thousand bucks. It is absolutely a turkey killing instrument. I know if I could carry just one call , it would be tougg to pick between a henbox and a trumpet. Those 2 type calls in my arsenal are second to none. They flat kill birds consistantly. It could very well be that I use them alot more than other calls.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 11:05:07 AM »
In my opinion, you can take that for what it’s worth, a one sider is a call that’s a little misunderstood. Get a good one and, like previous poster said, turkey killing machine. They’re generally easy to play and they produce great quality sound. Counterintuitively, they do have some versatility. You can pressure the sound board and get varied sounds as well as pressure the non soundboard side and get get other sounds.
They ARE limited regarding gobbling but as far as hen yelping, you can manipulate them so they act similar to a two sider. You won’t get the drastic difference you’ll get with a two sided call but there will be enough difference to sound like two different hens.
If you want the gobbler aspect, you can make gobbler yelps on them effectively, so there’s that.
I have a soft spot for them since that’s one of the calls I started with and they seem kind of old school and, well, just different and cool.
That, and they can be killers...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:23:21 AM by sixbird »

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 01:17:14 PM »
Thanks guys  appreciate the replies, at some point this season going to try a one sider probly from Tony Quarino.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
Thanks guys  appreciate the replies, at some point this season going to try a one sider probly from Tony Quarino.

Good luck bud. Wasn’t trying to sway you away from any call just giving an opinion, if you have a soft spot such as six bird says or simply just wanna use one go for it. Hope it suits ya. I’ll be honest I almost never use a short box either but long boxes and scratchers are def something I carry n use. To each his own.

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 10:56:16 PM »
Appreciate your time and opinion Bowguy, I like the short boxes, can't play a long box well at this point but I am really starting to get into scratch boxes, they are fun to play.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 06:46:26 AM »
Great info from all. Thank you....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 02:41:27 PM »
YES,,get a one sider from Tony Quarino they are an incredible value for the money

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2020, 11:19:47 AM »
I use pot calls a lot and mouth calls sometimes but every season without fail I end up killing a Gobbler with a box call. Nothing fancy but an old Quaker boy with a butternut lid. I cannot count how many Gobblers have answered that box when nothing else worked. When I get one Gobbling I don’t change calls if he answered a pot or mouth call  or box that’s what I finish with. Never had an issue with movement etc. with box or pot call I quit calling when he’s close and wait for him to come find me.
Box calls are not just for beginners and a good one has the hen built right in.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline rgref522

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2020, 12:49:09 PM »
There have been many turkeys that lost their lives in my hunting career because the only thing they would respond to was a box call. Learned this once I started traveling to places like Kansas, South Dakota, and Nebraska. My response may seem a little self serving but these experiences in the above states are what made me a believer in the box and was the impetus to eventually start making my own.
I was a diaphragm user coming from WI my whole life.  When i hunted NE I would have never tagged a bird without my box call.  Could have thrown out every other call i have. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk