OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-13 12 gauge#4

Started by Tom007, June 27, 2020, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I am hearing great things about Hevi-13 12 gauge loads. I am going to pattern some in my guns. Got great forum choke recommendations. I found a few boxes of this #4 Hevi Shot in my ammo bin. It is 3 inch, 12 gauge #4 shot, 1 3/8 oz loads. What surprised me is the speed FPS. It is 1450 FPS. Does anyone have experience with this for turkey? Thanks
"Solo hunter"

AppalachianHollers

This is what they marketed for waterfowl. Must've sacrificed pellet count for velocity, since this is marketed for ducks, where obviously you're evaluating 30" patterns.

But see how it patterns with a turkey choke. Would be hard-hitting for sure; I'd just be worried that reduced pellet count of #4 shot, even in a tighter-patterning shot like Hevi-13, would rule out shooting to 40 yards or beyond.

But you don't know until you try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

What shotgun and choke combo are you going to try this in?

Tom007

Old bottomland Remington 870, 26 inch barrel, Carlsons Longbeard XR .665 choke.
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on June 27, 2020, 03:01:32 PM
This is what they marketed for waterfowl. Must've sacrificed pellet count for velocity, since this is marketed for ducks, where obviously you're evaluating 30" patterns.

But see how it patterns with a turkey choke. Would be hard-hitting for sure; I'd just be worried that reduced pellet count of #4 shot, even in a tighter-patterning shot like Hevi-13, would rule out shooting to 40 yards or beyond.

But you don't know until you try.

Thank you, will throw a few test shots when I get back to the range. I agree, 1 3/8 oz is a light payload, especially number 4's... Be safe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Solo hunter"

Turkeytider

I`d see how it patterns, but I, too, am concerned about the low pellet count. My primary load is 3" Hevi-13, 2oz. #6 through a .660 early model Jellyhead. It`s a lot of shot going down range. I`ve not counted holes, but it`s a plenty dead turkey at 40. I personally try to shoot no further than about 35 yards. I like for him to be close enough to see his eyes blink if possible.

Tom007

Agreed, I will try it, but 1 3/8 oz #4 is low pellet count. Thanks for info....My number 5 Hevi 13 is 2 oz 1050 FPS. Nice load....
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

I've patterned the winchester hi density turkey loads in #4 in my vinci 28" barrel using a .665 kicks choke. It put up super even patterns, but low numbers in the 10". Not the same ammo but similar.Devastated a turkey at 30- 35ish yards though. If you can get 100 evenly placed hits in the 10" circle at the max range you intend to shoot with them they should work fine. That velocity might not pattern very well though.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Ranman

I would consider trying a regular full choke..

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

jrmcclure

Read the fine print on the box. Some of the hevi duck loads say heavier than lead, theses are actually 12g/cc hevi-shot. Some say heavier than steel, which are actually bismuth at 9.8g/cc and inferior to lead. A light load of bismuth at 40 yards makes a great duck load, but not a very good turkey load.

Tom007

Will do, thanks for the heads up........
"Solo hunter"