OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 870 repair question  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Jc69

870 repair question
« on: June 04, 2020, 08:39:38 AM »
I picked up a new 870 that has a problem.  It's still under warranty, but I'm trying to figure it out first.  The gun won't chamber more than two shells(plug is out).  I can load 2 in the magazine, it works fine.  I can load 2 in the magazine, chamber 1 and then load another in the magazine and it works fine.  But if 3 are loaded in the magazine at any time, it will load the first and the others are stuck in the magazine and I have to put my thumb inside the ejection port and pop the right (shell latch?) in place to get it to load. Not sure if it's the latch, since it will work with 2 shells, or something with the magazine spring, when under more pressure with more shells.  Hope this makes sense?

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: 870 repair question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
Sounds like spring tension is two high with 3 in standard magazine tube and pushing shell past the catch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »
I picked up a new 870 that has a problem.  It's still under warranty, but I'm trying to figure it out first.  The gun won't chamber more than two shells(plug is out).  I can load 2 in the magazine, it works fine.  I can load 2 in the magazine, chamber 1 and then load another in the magazine and it works fine.  But if 3 are loaded in the magazine at any time, it will load the first and the others are stuck in the magazine and I have to put my thumb inside the ejection port and pop the right (shell latch?) in place to get it to load. Not sure if it's the latch, since it will work with 2 shells, or something with the magazine spring, when under more pressure with more shells.  Hope this makes sense?

Sounds like a spring tension issue, but a question. If I understand correctly, your 870 functions fine if you load two in the magazine and one in the chamber? If that`s accurate, why would the issue with three in the mag be a problem? I know that 1+2 is all I`ve ever loaded in my 870 and never felt under ammoed.

Offline Jc69

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've been doing alot of squirrel hunting in mountains and walking lots of miles doing it.  With knife, wallet etc. in pants pockets, I'd just rather have 2 more shells in my gun than weighing down my pants pockets.  Would like to change the choke and have it double as a squirrel gun.

Offline Remturkey

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:51:41 PM »
Sounds like the issue is the shell latch, which to be replac d has to be staked back in. If still under warranty I would send it back to Remington to make it right.  Unfortunately, Remington's quality control has been lacking the last couple years.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 12:06:41 AM »
Im not suggesting that you necessarily do this....but the shell latches can basically be ripped out of the receiver. You gotta hold your tongue right when putting it back together after a deep cleaning...but they don't have to be staked in. you can send it back to Remington if youd like to , but before I did that. Id go ahead and run a heavier magazine spring just to see if it helps. Im sure the latches are in the way a little to much for the second and third shell to come out, but I would figure with some break in time they should wear in.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
Could have avoided the whole situation by pay a few bucks more and bought a Wingmaster  the Express model is a cheap poor excuse for a real 870. You can contact Remington and depending on your location there may be a authorized Remington gunsmith/dealer close by and you can avoid the mailing and waiting. 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »
Did you ever get it fixed?