OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Blackstone Cedar Green Slate VS David Halloran Zebrawood Green Slate?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Swim-Bait

Hey guys,

Thoughts on these two calls? I know both are quality. I know I'd probably be happy with either. But which one is "better"? Opinions? Haven't owned any Blackstone calls. Have owned a couple Halloran pots (currently have a Twisted Sister). I've kinda come to the conclusion that I really like slate. My first pot call was a slate, that I still own and use. I picked up a Hanks Osage Green Slate this past Spring that I like. Just maybe looking for something "better".  As always, thanks for the advice.

:funnyturkey:

Offline Adirondacks89

I have David’s laminated green slate and it’s a nice call but I don’t know if I would say his calls are really that much better than anything you would get from hanks game calls. His crystal calls on the other hand, yes. Much better.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
I’m confused? Blackstone isnts Hanks.

Correction, I understand now, I misread.  Dustin is prob one of the most under rated makers. His stuff is fantastic imo. If it was me I’d prob go Blackstone but Halloran is pretty good too. There’s other makers of green slate calls that are great though. Mac, Lonzo, Buster Halford. I just got a red and green of Busters. Guys swear the red will work better but that green hits my ear awesome.

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
If I were in your situation, I would grab the blackstone because you already own a Halloran.

Offline PEte_A

Dustins green slate in walnut is really nice as well. Some sounds filed on his FB page, down quite a ways. If you’re interested in his green slates I’d ask him for his thoughts on both the cedar and the walnut.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
If i was choosing between David and Dustin , it would be Dustin

Online BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
Need to look into that cedar pot by Dustin. I have his cherry pot green slate and it's a smoker!
Phil 4:13

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
Get the Blackstone and don't look back. I have one and love it. I had Hallorans also. 2 totally different sounding calls. Buy both. LOL! I personally like Dustin's cedar green slate better than Halloran's green slate but Dave's call is a great call too.

Dustin's pots are better than Hanks pots IMO.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Which one is the one you like best. In reality there is no best call. The secrete is getting the one you like the sound of. If you do that , you will use it more in the turkey woods which will in turn mean you will get more responses. Confidence in what you are using is what kills birds as long as you use the right sound and cadence at the right time. Both calls are more than capable of fooling a turkey. You have to decide if its the right call for you.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE