OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Slate Strikers?

Started by Turkeytider, June 03, 2020, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad_Baron

Lots of good advice above.  All around hard to beat Purpleheart, Hickory, Tulipwood  and Canarywood to name a few.  The HD material I use for my "Orion" strikers play on all surfaces and can get nice and raspy.
John Haines

Mad Baron Calls
NWTF Chapter President
NWTF Indiana State Board Member

NCL

I received four of Jeff's strikers about a month ago. Finally yesterday I got around to pulling out a few pots and running the strikers. They were all good but one was Cumanu wood and it was incredible, Ran that striker on slate two colors, crystal, glass, and two ceramics and it loved them all.

Turkeytider

Have been going through some of my strikers on my red and grey slates. One that's really growing on me is a Fowler walnut/ tulipwood. Purrs, clucks and rolls into a soft yelp really well.

Turkeytider

Black locust or walnut for two slates ( red and grey )?

owego

Enticer Laminated or Ramin cob . That is all I have used on my slate for 40 yrs. Deep & Raspy.

muddpuppi

Alot deepends on how the call is built....generally a softer lighter wood will give you less rasp and a more high pitch sound....a denser hard wood will give more rasp...heavier the striker usually the deeper the pitch...my go to is my bloodwood....runs good on everything...but im a striker nut....one call and six strikers will give you 6 diff birds...never know what ole tom wants to hear...